Current and Fallen Soldiers

I wanted to take a second and put all the bantering, and silliness of this board aside.

Last night while at one of the loacl establishments, I met up with some friends, and there we found out an old friend from high school had stepped on a landmine while over in Iraq. It really humbled the entire group, and the night changed basically to rememberence and talking about friedns and family who currently serve in the military.

He is currently in the ICU, and we are all waiting on a status update to inform us how he is doing.

I just wanted to take a second to firstly thank all the members of this board who currently serve and have previously serve in the armed forces. Also to everyone who has family members, friends who serve i thank them to.

I would like to thank all armed forces members current, retired and those who died for this great country. It makes me realize that as bad as some days get, I am greatful i am able to do what i do, and it is because of those who have the courage to make the ultimate sacrafice.

I came across this quote and it puts everything into perspective for me;

“The American spirit wears no political label. In service to others and yes, in sacrifice for our country, there are no Republicans; there are no Democrats; there are only Americans.”

Thank you all again and again,

~Jeremy

I wanted to take a second and put all the bantering, and silliness of this board aside.

Last night while at one of the loacl establishments, I met up with some friends, and there we found out an old friend from high school had stepped on a landmine while over in Iraq. It really humbled the entire group, and the night changed basically to rememberence and talking about friedns and family who currently serve in the military.

He is currently in the ICU, and we are all waiting on a status update to inform us how he is doing.

I just wanted to take a second to firstly thank all the members of this board who currently serve and have previously serve in the armed forces. Also to everyone who has family members, friends who serve i thank them to.

I would like to thank all armed forces members current, retired and those who died for this great country. It makes me realize that as bad as some days get, I am greatful i am able to do what i do, and it is because of those who have the courage to make the ultimate sacrafice.

“The American spirit wears no political label. In service to others and yes, in sacrifice for our country, there are no Republicans; there are no Democrats; there are only Americans.”

~Jeremy

Nothing to add ... ditto .... +100

~Jeremy

+100 more

~Jeremy

Never give up hope. One of my good Friends sons was literally blown though the windshield of a troop Carrier 3 years ago by a IED. Looked very bad, got muscle grafts, Damn well well near broke Evey bone in his body, serious concerns about brain damage. Well the end of the story is me him and his dad will be hiking the hills of Alaska next week on a mission to shoot every Marmot in sight :thumbdown:[Or any foolish wolves or coyotes that show their face]

Beautiful example of missing the point :thumbdown: Suppose we should go golfing :thumbdown:

Check the edit there, man. And how did you know I golfed? <_<

Edit: Also, I'm not anti-hunter. I love me some venison.

Check the edit there, man. And how did you know I golfed? :thumbdown:

Edit: Also, I'm not anti-hunter. I love me some venison.

Educated guess. By the way the I do not eat Marmots but I am required to salvage the pelt-easy enough when you blast them so hard you can slip what is left of their hide in your wallet. Grizz eats the left overs.

Actually that picture looks exactly like where we will be going. Hatcher pass, beautiful country and for the anti hunters here we will also be vaporizing any ground squirrels we see :thumbsup:

I just want to get two things out of the way...I'm not an anti-hunter, and I'm not looking for an argument. But could you explain for me what the appeal is to hunting? Now, I don't eat meat so that part wouldn't do me any good...but just from a recreational perspective, why do you find it fun?

I've asked a couple of my buddies before, but they treated it like a confrontation, so I'm just looking for info.

I just want to get two things out of the way...I'm not an anti-hunter, and I'm not looking for an argument. But could you explain for me what the appeal is to hunting? Now, I don't eat meat so that part wouldn't do me any good...but just from a recreational perspective, why do you find it fun?

I've asked a couple of my buddies before, but they treated it like a confrontation, so I'm just looking for info.

Yeah, I don't get it either. I don't get fishing either... Maybe I have ADD or something, and just can't sit still that long so don't find it fun or relaxing. ;)

I love eating the meat that other people hunt/fish for though! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I don't get it either. I don't get fishing either... Maybe I have ADD or something, and just can't sit still that long so don't find it fun or relaxing. ;)

I love eating the meat that other people hunt/fish for though! :thumbsup:

Ugh, I love it too, but I don't allow myself to anymore as a measure of self-control. A couple years ago, I became obese (around 260 pounds was my maximum) and I decided I had to make a change. My methods were successful, and one of the biggest ones was switching to vegetarianism as a way to draw a line in the sand regarding what I would/would not allow myself to eat. It's not a perfect catch-all (after all, I can still have fatty fettucine alfredo on a vegetarian diet), but it stops me from rationalizing "Weeeelllll, I guess going to Burger King just this once won't hurt".

Not a day goes by that I wish I could have a nice juicy burger or a slice of pepperoni pizza, but I know that the accomplishment of avoiding that stuff is more fulfilling than the vapid pleasure of eating it.

Btw, sorry for the thread hi-jack. My biggest and best THANK YOU goes out to all those who have served.

Btw, sorry for the thread hi-jack. My biggest and best THANK YOU goes out to all those who have served.

First intelligent thing you've said around here. :thumbsup:

Thanks to all who served especially my FiL who was a paratrooper in WWII. I'm supremely happy he made it through that mess.

Update- He lost his one leg, and he has was severly burned, the doctors are unsure about his other leg, but his spirits are good.

He keeps saying at least he still has his life, and thats all you can ask for.

Good luck to your friend, it sounds like he has the right attitude! :thumbsup:

Definitely a big thanks to all those who do what they do, so that we can do what we do.

Amen, Count! It makes me physically ill when people downplay or dismiss the sacrifice that our fellow brothers and sisters make for the rest of us, regardless of your political stance. Like many of you, I come from a long line of vets going back to WWII and it's something I've always taken a great deal of pride in. These folks never know what they're getting themselves into when they sign up, so I don't care if they cook food or are on the front lines...they deserve our respect and appreciation.

God bless our soldiers and God bless the USA!!