See Ya, Mr. Willingham

_BiB_

I wonder if by firing Willingham they'll be able to recruit those players that no longer need the prestige of playing for Notre Dame or the nice TV contract that guaranteed all of the games will be shown. These kids in Florida can get that now without leaving the state from Miami, Florida State, and Florida. I think that's the biggest challenge Notre Dame faces now.

I wonder if by firing Willingham they'll be able to recruit those players that no longer need the prestige of playing for Notre Dame or the nice TV contract that guaranteed all of the games will be shown.  These kids in Florida can get that now without leaving the state from Miami, Florida State, and Florida.  I think that's the biggest challenge Notre Dame faces now.

141196[/snapback]

Listening to Bob Davie talk about it since his tenure was ended, that's not the problem at all. They simply aren't allowed to recruit kids who don't meet the academic entry standards, unlike the Holtz era. The prime example is Tony Rice, who wouldn't be allowed in today but was the last QB to lead ND to the National Championship.

Davie refused to name names, but he stated that he had commitments from numerous players who went on to prestigious college careers but they were denied entry.

Listening to Bob Davie talk about it since his tenure was ended, that's not the problem at all.  They simply aren't allowed to recruit kids who don't meet the academic entry standards, unlike the Holtz era.  The prime example is Tony Rice, who wouldn't be allowed in today but was the last QB to lead ND to the National Championship.

Davie refused to name names, but he stated that he had commitments from numerous players who went on to prestigious college careers but they were denied entry.

141205[/snapback]

I caught that as well (on ESPNews) and it's a bunch of crap. Stanford is able to put competitive teams from ALL sports out there year after year and they do not compromise their admission standards. Other schools do it, too. It does make for a convenient excuse though when the wins aren't coming as much as before.

I caught that as well (on ESPNews) and it's a bunch of crap.  Stanford is able to put competitive teams from ALL sports out there year after year and they do not compromise their admission standards.  Other schools do it, too.  It does make for a convenient excuse though when the wins aren't coming as much as before.

141227[/snapback]

Stanford plays football in the Pac 10 and their out of conference schedule is pretty much a joke. Weak+weak=decent records every year. ND is not supposed to be "competitive" in football, they are supposed to be elite. Hence the reason hamstringing yourself is so costly when you're trying to play on the level of the OUs, Miamis, USCs, etc who don't do the same thing.

Elite teams don't lose to anyone by 30 points.

I'm not talking other sports - only football. The reason that issue matters is the "cash cow" factor that funds pretty much everything else.

I caught that as well (on ESPNews) and it's a bunch of crap.  Stanford is able to put competitive teams from ALL sports out there year after year and they do not compromise their admission standards.  Other schools do it, too.  It does make for a convenient excuse though when the wins aren't coming as much as before.

141227[/snapback]

Isn't that the same excuse Penn State is using? Academic standards??

Isn't that the same excuse Penn State is using? Academic standards??

141235[/snapback]

Who is using that excuse for Penn State? I haven't heard about it. They flat out suck. Recruiting is THE major issue for the Lions. They did have a much better recruiting year by obtaining LB Dan Connor and QB Anthony Morelli among others, but there's a loooooong way to go. I'm just hoping they can find some WRs that not only can catch (imagine that!), but can stay off the police blotter too.

141227[/snapback]

If you can breathe, you get a "B" at Stanford...

http://www.gradeinflation.com/

Stanford plays football in the Pac 10 and their out of conference schedule is pretty much a joke.  Weak+weak=decent records every year.  ND is not supposed to be "competitive" in football, they are supposed to be elite.  Hence the reason hamstringing yourself is so costly when you're trying to play on the level of the OUs, Miamis, USCs, etc who don't do the same thing.

Elite teams don't lose to anyone by 30 points.

I'm not talking other sports - only football.

141233[/snapback]

Can't agrue the strength of schedule. Notre Dame plays a tough schedule, for sure. I wonder if that adds to the problem of winning. Hmmm....

Considering the difficulty of the schedule and the level of talent there (just how many first round players have they produced lately?), averaging a 7-5 record is nothing to sneeze at. But, they believe that they're above the game of college football, so Ty gets his head put on the block. I sure hope he latches onto a good program and continues his career.

Things may get better for ND or not. Only time will tell. When it comes to recruiting, they're now in the position where they must actually recruit, not just wait for players to come running to them. Good players-yes, even those who can meet the admission standards of Notre Dame-are out there, waiting for their shot. Go get 'em, Irish, if you want them.

Can't agrue the strength of schedule.  Notre Dame plays a tough schedule, for sure.  I wonder if that adds to the problem of winning.  Hmmm....

Considering the difficulty of the schedule and the level of talent there (just how many first round players have they produced lately?), averaging a 7-5 record is nothing to sneeze at.  But, they believe that they're above the game of college football, so Ty gets his head put on the block.  I sure hope he latches onto a good program and continues his career.

Things may get better for ND or not.  Only time will tell.  When it comes to recruiting, they're now in the position where they must actually recruit, not just wait for players to come running to them.  Good players-yes, even those who can meet the admission standards of Notre Dame-are out there, waiting for their shot.  Go get 'em, Irish, if you want them.

141257[/snapback]

They definately need to approach it more like the NFL. Hire a few guys and give them regions. They can do that without contacting the kids and breaking NCAA rules. There are plenty of good players out there who end up outside the traditional football powers, which is why we see the emergence of suprise teams every year.

When Vinny Cerrato was there they recruited speed first, last, and always. Now it's a team of freakin' mules out there.

I wanted Ty to succeed as much as anyone. I think he knew what he was getting himself in to. He's going to be just fine when his hands aren't tied behind his back. If I were the next coach at ND, I wouldn't sign under the same rules without making the above changes.

Who is using that excuse for Penn State?  I haven't heard about it.  They flat out suck.  Recruiting is THE major issue for the Lions.  They did have a much better recruiting year by obtaining LB Dan Connor and QB Anthony Morelli among others, but there's a loooooong way to go.  I'm just hoping they can find some WRs that not only can catch (imagine that!), but can stay off the police blotter too.

141239[/snapback]

Their hc is older than Mount Nittany. Decent defense, but horrid offense and STs.

If PSU wants JoePa to retire on his terms, the Nits will continue their backslide into oblivion. Spanier's gotta have the brass to say, "Joe, regardless of what you think, it's time." He's 78 years old, for gosh sake. Can't stay in the game forever.

Frankly, their dc, Tom Bradley, should get a shot at the head job because his guys play their butts off every week. Posluzny and Connor are two stud LBs, and Zemaitis is a playmaker in the secondary. Hali isn't half bad either in the front four. But that offense is downright, you know...

Can't agrue the strength of schedule.  Notre Dame plays a tough schedule, for sure.  I wonder if that adds to the problem of winning.  Hmmm....

Considering the difficulty of the schedule and the level of talent there (just how many first round players have they produced lately?), averaging a 7-5 record is nothing to sneeze at.  But, they believe that they're above the game of college football, so Ty gets his head put on the block.  I sure hope he latches onto a good program and continues his career.

Things may get better for ND or not.  Only time will tell.  When it comes to recruiting, they're now in the position where they must actually recruit, not just wait for players to come running to them.  Good players-yes, even those who can meet the admission standards of Notre Dame-are out there, waiting for their shot.  Go get 'em, Irish, if you want them.

141257[/snapback]

They definately need to approach it more like the NFL. Hire a few guys and give them regions. They can do that without contacting the kids and breaking NCAA rules. There are plenty of good players out there who end up outside the traditional football powers, which is why we see the emergence of suprise teams every year.

When Vinny Cerrato was there they recruited speed first, last, and always. Now it's a team of freakin' mules out there.

I wanted Ty to succeed as much as anyone. I think he knew what he was getting himself in to. He's going to be just fine when his hands aren't tied behind his back. If I were the next coach at ND, I wouldn't sign under the same rules without making the above changes.

If you can breathe, you get a "B" at Stanford...

http://www.gradeinflation.com/

141242[/snapback]

Having taught at Stanford -- including student/athletes from various sports including football and basketball -- I can assure you that the students work their tails off.

From personal experience I think that students work harder at Stanford than at Harvard or UB. Moreover, the athletes are not treated differently than the general student population. They are competing with the kids who look to found the next Hewlett-Packard, Google, etc.

Frankly, I don't see how the athletes do it. I know that I could not.

Having taught at Stanford -- including student/athletes from various sports including football and basketball -- I can assure you that the students work their tails off. 

From personal experience I think that students work harder at Stanford than at Harvard or UB.  Moreover, the athletes are not treated differently than the general student population.  They are competing with the kids who look to found the next Hewlett-Packard, Google, etc. 

Frankly, I don't see how the athletes do it.  I know that I could not.

141315[/snapback]

And those that don't suffer with their shoddy B's.

Sorry - the light of day and all that. It's also a nifty tool to keep staff employed - the parents love ya, and the alumni $ keeps pouring in.

I think being coach of ND is a lose lose situation. The university expects a top five-ten team, but won't let the team recruit anyone who's not top notch academically, like all the top 5-top 10 teams do.

It's, "win or else, and by the way, you have to play with one hand tied behind your back."

And those that don't suffer with their shoddy B's.

Sorry - the light of day and all that. It's also a nifty tool to keep staff employed - the parents love ya, and the alumni $ keeps pouring in.

141321[/snapback]

No, those that don't keep up fail. I know because I've failed them.