Greatest TV or Movie Character of Last 20 Years

/dev/null

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vic Mackey and Omar Little need to be waaaaay higher. I'm very surprised that The Wire and The Shield only had one character each on it. I expected Jimmy McNulty or Shane Vendrell to be on there. You don't get to be the two best cop shows, and some of the best shows ever, without great characters.

Hell, The Shield even made Anthony Anderson into a great actor...

I'm okay with Homer at #1, but any list of great characters from the last 20 years that excludes Reverend Jim Ignatowski from "Taxi", Exidor from "Mork & Mindy" and Dwight Schrute from "The Office (American Version)" is suspect.

/we should all relax as this is as subjective as it gets

I'm okay with Homer at #1, but any list of great characters from the last 20 years that excludes Reverend Jim Ignatowski from "Taxi", Exidor from "Mork & Mindy" and Dwight Schrute from "The Office (American Version)" is suspect.

You do realize that two out of three of those shows were on over 20 years ago, right...? Or did I just miss some sarcasm? :angry:

You do realize that two out of three of those shows were on over 20 years ago, right...? Or did I just miss some sarcasm? :lol:

"Mork & Mindy" went until 1982, "Taxi" until 1983. I always research before I post drivel. :w00t:

1982... Plus 20 years... Is 2002....

/looks at his 2010 calendar.

:lol::w00t:

How is it I can do the algebra for the POTD, but can't get this right? I'm either refusing to get with the times, or my dementia is setting in right at 40. (Picks up calculator.... yup, I'm 40).

;)

How is it I can do the algebra for the POTD, but can't get this right? I'm either refusing to get with the times, or my dementia is setting in right at 40. (Picks up calculator.... yup, I'm 40).

:w00t:

I think it's hard for all of us to realize that 1990 was 20 years ago. :lol:

If you are going to attempt it, do it right. It is a 13 year old girl.

How many have you watched out of curiosity?

I know that was a rhetorical question because if he had seen any episodes (well, maybe not season 1...), then he would know that the writing was amazing and that it was more than just a girl killing vampires.

It's funny how some people will judge a book by its cover. There's a reason why when actors are approached by Whedon, they drop everything to work for him. Neal Patrick Harris agreed to work on Dr. Horrible for free, simply because it was a Whedon product. (he later got money from DVD sales I believe).

I know that was a rhetorical question because if he had seen any episodes (well, maybe not season 1...), then he would know that the writing was amazing and that it was more than just a girl killing vampires.

It's funny how some people will judge a book by its cover. There's a reason why when actors are approached by Whedon, they drop everything to work for him. Neal Patrick Harris agreed to work on Dr. Horrible for free, simply because it was a Whedon product. (he later got money from DVD sales I believe).

I'm a guy, not gay, and I'm not afraid to say that Buffy was one of my favorite shows, the writing was great, and it was a good mix of sci-fi, horror-comedy-fantasy etc.

the story arc was fun, engaging, and didnt alienate the viewers from year to year, it never got lost in itself, or self righteous like other shows. If you could get past the silly basis of the show, it was actually quite good, and in fact, most could see that the "big bad" in every season, and many monsters throughout each season, was usually a metaphor for an everyday persons problems.

Clever writing, good characters, and storys= good show.

just like the shield, which got dismissed as a dirty cop show by many, or Rescue Me too, which is a great show.

I'm a guy, not gay, and I'm not afraid to say that Buffy was one of my favorite shows, the writing was great, and it was a good mix of sci-fi, horror-comedy-fantasy etc.

the story arc was fun, engaging, and didnt alienate the viewers from year to year, it never got lost in itself, or self righteous like other shows. If you could get past the silly basis of the show, it was actually quite good, and in fact, most could see that the "big bad" in every season, and many monsters throughout each season, was usually a metaphor for an everyday persons problems.

Clever writing, good characters, and storys= good show.

just like the shield, which got dismissed as a dirty cop show by many, or Rescue Me too, which is a great show.

I actually sort of liked the movie Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and the character Buffy originates with the movie, not the show. But even though I sort of liked it, I recognized it contributed to the pussification of the vampire genre. The show is even more responsible for this horrible trend, IMO.

I actually sort of liked the movie Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and the character Buffy originates with the movie, not the show. But even though I sort of liked it, I recognized it contributed to the pussification of the vampire genre. The show is even more responsible for this horrible trend, IMO.

You liked the movie? I thought it was terrible... Maybe it was because Luke Perry was in it. :rolleyes:

Not sure I agree with the "pussification of the vampire genre" either. The character development from season to season was great. Season 2, one of Spike's best lines was:

Spike: "We like to talk big, vampires do. 'I'm going to destroy the world.' It's just tough guy talk. Strut round with your friends over a pint of blood... the truth is I like this world. You've got dog racing. Manchester United. And you've got people. Billions of people walking around like Happy Meals with legs. It's all right here."

But years later, his character slowly starts to change and he's not looking to eat everyone who moves. Sorta... ;)

And come on, how can you not like writing like that? :)

Those two things had very little in common other than the name and some of the background. I have the feeling that you would like it if you got over your initial prejudice and watched a big chunk of them. You are still stuck on the idea it was a kid's show. Vampires rarely came across as weak individuals, well except for Spike falling for Buffy, but can you really blame him? Link

Decent acting, mostly awesome story-lines and good writing. Sex appeal and humor, with some genuinely dramatic moments. Top 3 as a character, not really, but far better than the haters suggest.