Lynch arrives in Buffalo- Per PFT

As sad as it is for some of you to believe it, Lynch is only a year short of getting a degree from one of the best universities in the country. I doubt Applebee's is in his future. But thank god, he finally showed up to VOLUNTARY offseason drills.

Getting a degree and actually getting an education don't necessarily coincide if your an athlete ... just ask Dexter Manley ... sheesh!

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting a degree and actually getting an education don't necessarily coincide if your an athlete ... just ask Dexter Manley ... sheesh!

No offense to Oklahoma State, but it doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath academically as Cal. And obviously Lynch didn't get into Cal because of his vast intelligence but it still doesn't change the fact he can still get a great degree.

I promise Marshawn isn't our 3rd string thats blatantly retarded...He's 1st or 2nd with CJ being more of a pass-receiving back..its gonna play out like this..

What's blatantly retarded is your ability to see what's right in front of your face. He was demoted to second string last year. They then went out and spent the 9th pick in the draft on a RB. So, if he isn't the 2nd string back, then that means Spiller is, and I don't think they drafted Spiller 9th to ride pine.

If you are foolish enough to believe Spiller's only contributions will come in receptions, then I would venture to guess you have never seen him play.

Spiller will be on the field in many different roles. WR, Slot, HB...maybe even wildcat QB. Jackson will see the majority of the carries. So, yes...when you factor in touches in the offensive gameplan, Lynch will be the 3rd most used RB, thus making him.......wait for it.........wait for it........Third String.

As sad as it is for some of you to believe it, Lynch is only a year short of getting a degree from one of the best universities in the country. I doubt Applebee's is in his future. But thank god, he finally showed up to VOLUNTARY offseason drills.

I don't get people that excuse an absence by calling this a "Voluntary" offseason drill, when the vast majority of players are attending. As far as I'm concerned it's more about commitment or not. Players who are paid as much as these players are and still choose to not attend a "voluntary" event are demonstrating a clear lack of commitment.

I don't get people that excuse an absence by calling this a "Voluntary" offseason drill, when the vast majority of players are attending. As far as I'm concerned it's more about commitment or not. Players who are paid as much as these players are and still choose to not attend a "voluntary" event are demonstrating a clear lack of commitment.

If your boss said, "you don't have to come in on Saturday, but if you want to you can...." I'm sure you would just show up with the pride of your job in mind ...right?

How much these guys are paid is irrelevant. They have a collective bargaining agreement in place which affords them the luxury to stay away from the majority of Spring Football.

Obviously, it would be great if he came in early but it still doesn't change the fact it is voluntary. Now how Gailey and his staff views this is an entirely different thing. But for as fans, why should we care? It's ultimately Gailey's decision. Additionally, guess what happens if Lynch gets hurt seriously in voluntary OTAs like Jackson of the Eagles yesterday? They reach an injury settlement, cut the guy, and Lynch is done with the NFL.

If your boss said, "you don't have to come in on Saturday, but if you want to you can...." I'm sure you would just show up with the pride of your job in mind ...right?

How much these guys are paid is irrelevant. They have a collective bargaining agreement in place which affords them the luxury to stay away from the majority of Spring Football.

To answer your question. Yes, I would show up, if I felt it would help the company be successful. And I have "voluntarily" worked on some holidays when I did not have to. It's called being commited to your profession. Some people are still "strange" in that way.

When Marshawn is out of the league, and broke, he'll likely look back with regret and wish he had done things differently. But, he'll feel better because you'll be there for him, right?

To answer your question. Yes, I would show up, if I felt it would help the company be successful. And I have "voluntarily" worked on some holidays when I did not have to. It's called being commited to your profession. Some people are still "strange" in that way.

When Marshawn is out of the league, and broke, he'll likely look back with regret and wish he had done things differently. But, he'll feel better because you'll be there for him, right?

Well, you're just a saint aren't you. Unfortunately you're int he minority. I would not go in if it wasn't manditory, because my job is my source of income, and my life outside of work is my enjoyment. I earn my money by working hard while I am at work, and don't feel the need to show up on random Saturdays unpaid just to prove my loyality.

And, if you would have read any of this thread, you would realize I am not a Lynch fan. I actually really dislike the guy. But his absense from VOLUNTARY mini-camp isn't on the list of reasons why I dislike him.

Maybe it gives you some satisfaction to believe in the whole "52 bigger than 1" and "every guy on this team would play for free, because they love the game", but the reality is, this is their job.

Reggie Wayne never goes to voluntary workouts in Indy, do you think he'll be out of the league in a few years because of it?

If Lynch is gone in 2 years and broke, it won't be because he didn't show up to voluntary workouts.

Obviously, it would be great if he came in early but it still doesn't change the fact it is voluntary. Now how Gailey and his staff views this is an entirely different thing. But for as fans, why should we care? It's ultimately Gailey's decision. Additionally, guess what happens if Lynch gets hurt seriously in voluntary OTAs like Jackson of the Eagles yesterday? They reach an injury settlement, cut the guy, and Lynch is done with the NFL.

So, let's see if I get this right. A player should sit out of OTAs because he might get hurt, and his career would come to a screeching halt. Well, we better not have any of them play preseason games because there is even a greater chance of getting hurt in those games. And when the season starts, and bodies are really flying around we better make sure our best players stay on the side lines where it is safe. Bottom line, these players, especially the top ones, are paid more in a single season than most of us would make in a lifetime. Don't let them risk getting paid more than they already have by doing something as risky as practiceing in shorts, without pads.

Well, you're just a saint aren't you. Unfortunately you're int he minority. I would not go in if it wasn't manditory, because my job is my source of income, and my life outside of work is my enjoyment. I earn my money by working hard while I am at work, and don't feel the need to show up on random Saturdays unpaid just to prove my loyality.

And, if you would have read any of this thread, you would realize I am not a Lynch fan. I actually really dislike the guy. But his absense from VOLUNTARY mini-camp isn't on the list of reasons why I dislike him.

Maybe it gives you some satisfaction to believe in the whole "52 bigger than 1" and "every guy on this team would play for free, because they love the game", but the reality is, this is their job.

Reggie Wayne never goes to voluntary workouts in Indy, do you think he'll be out of the league in a few years because of it?

If Lynch is gone in 2 years and broke, it won't be because he didn't show up to voluntary workouts.

"If Lynch is gone in 2 years and broke, it won't be because he didn't show up to voluntary workouts."

That's where we don't agree, I do believe it will be very much a major reason why he could possibly be out of the league. It's about a lack of commitment to giving his best, all the time. All he has to do is look at what just happened to Lendale White.

Looks like this thread has turned into a Fred/Marshawn debate. Here's the rushing stats from 2008 & 2009:

Marshawn Lynch:

2009: 120 carries, 450 yards and 2 TDs

2008: 250 carries, 1036 yards and 8 TDs

Fred Jackson:

2009: 237 carries, 1062 yards and 2 TDs

2008: 130 carries, 571 yards and 3 TD's

Lynch's total: 370 carries, 1486 yards and 10 TDs

Jackson's total: 367 carries, 1633 yards and 5 TDs

Jackson had 3 less carries and out gained Lynch by 147 yards

Lynch had 5 more TDs than Jackson

Bottom line, Jackson is better between the 20's but Lynch is the better red zone RB.

I agree with you on a technical level but let's make this real world. Do you want the guy that averages 16 more inches per carry or the guy that outscores the other 2 to 1 in TDs? Call me stupid but if I can only chose 1....it's the guy that puts TWICE as many TDs on the board.

That being said I liked both of them on the team but Marshawn was the guy and Freddie was the awesome #2. Not the other way around. You can pat yourself on the back for yards for a RB or completion percentage for a QB for that matter. The only things that amounts to anything is TDs on the board. You don't get prizes for yds/carry or completion percentage.

What a sniveling brown noser. LOL....SUCKER!!!! Don't forget to fill out your TPS reports!

Lynch would be a feature back with an NFL caliber O-line. Off-field issues aside, I don't get the hate for Marshawn. He plays with tremendous power and never quits. He's the best RB we have and I expect Gailey to maximize his talents.

People are dumb. Dumb people hate things without legitimate reason. If anyone can't see that Lynch is a good RB but a troubled/bad person, depending on your perspective, they are idiots. Don't waste your time wondering what makes stupid people hate things. Lynch outscores Jackson in the TD department 2 to 1 but some clowns wanted to make Jackson the starter and get rid of Lynch.

If they want a team of all choir boys I can accept that. At least it is a consistent view point. The problem is there wouldn't be enough guys left to play the game. Let's be honest. Lynch was stupid enough to get caught. He should have hired some off duty policemen to be his body guards like Ben Roethlesberger did. LOL. Perhaps we might have never known about any of Lynch's transgressions at all or it could have taken years like Big Ben for it to be viewed by the public eye.

What's blatantly retarded is your ability to see what's right in front of your face. He was demoted to second string last year. They then went out and spent the 9th pick in the draft on a RB. So, if he isn't the 2nd string back, then that means Spiller is, and I don't think they drafted Spiller 9th to ride pine.

If you are foolish enough to believe Spiller's only contributions will come in receptions, then I would venture to guess you have never seen him play.

Spiller will be on the field in many different roles. WR, Slot, HB...maybe even wildcat QB. Jackson will see the majority of the carries. So, yes...when you factor in touches in the offensive gameplan, Lynch will be the 3rd most used RB, thus making him.......wait for it.........wait for it........Third String.

What is blatantly retarded is the fact that our new starting RB of 16 games scored a GRAND FREAKIN TOTAL OF TWO...COUNT THEM...TWO RUSHING TDs. And you think that Lynch was demoted for performance reasons? NO! He was demoted because of off field BS that is completely his own fault. Unfortunately that doesn't make Freddie the better RB just the squeaky clean one.

What is blatantly retarded is the fact that our new starting RB of 16 games scored a GRAND FREAKIN TOTAL OF TWO...COUNT THEM...TWO RUSHING TDs. And you think that Lynch was demoted for performance reasons? NO! He was demoted because of off field BS that is completely his own fault. Unfortunately that doesn't make Freddie the better RB just the squeaky clean one.

You're right, Lynch's off field issues don't make Freddy a better Rb. Fred Jackson's better YPC in 2007, 2008 and 2009 than Lynch, his better fumble/carry ratio, his number of receptions over the last three seasons and his Yards per catch make him a better RB than Lynch.

Ok, you've made this simple minded "all that matters is TDs to judge a RB" argument ad nauseum. Move on.

OK.......I don't want to come in an ruffle any feathers here, but there are some facts that many of you are leaving out about Fred Jackson's season last year, especially when trying to compare his production to Lynch's.

You have to remember that 4 of Fred Jack's most productive games last season came Weeks 1-3 and Week 17. In the first 3 weeks of the season, Jackson got to run behind our offensive line.....our real starters before they really started dropping like flies. Granted, our offensive line is not very good even when all the starters are in there, but they were better when they were healthy for the most part early in the year. As for Week 17, the Colts played their 2nd and 3rd string defense for most of the game.

What does this matter? Well, Lynch did not get a single carry in any one of those games. Now, who knows what would have happened if Lynch got to run behind our original offensive line early in the year when guys were healthy. Nobody knows if he would have been as successful against the Colts 3rd string defense in the snow the last game of the season. The point is, if you look at some of Jackson's best games from last year, Lynch didn't have the same opportunity to produce in those same games.

Look......I am not trying to take anything away from Jackson. I am not trying to say Lynch is a better RB. I am just trying to add in some, what I think anyway, very important details that most people seem to leave out.

I hope people realize that just because they like 1 RB more than another one, doesn't mean one has to be great and the other one has to be trash. THEY CAN BE BOTH VERY GOOD RBs!!! It doesn't have to be 1 or the other.

I like Jackson. I think he is a good back. But his lack of TD making abilities is a reason for concern. The fact that he will be 30 years old is a reason for concern. He is a good RB, but the fact is he is not a GREAT RB. He is not a GAME CHANGER. He is a solid RB.

I like Lynch as well. I actually think he has more natural talent and gifts than Jackson does, but he is not the sharpest knife in the drawer either. He does stupid things off the football field that may end up ending his career at some point. But, he is also a very solid RB.....in fact, he is a Pro Bowl RB. He has a lot of skills. He actually score TDs as well! But obviously, there are many concerns about him as well.

The point is, I wish people would stop trying to praise 1 of these guys while destroying the other. They are both very good RBs and they both have their strengths and weaknesses. You don't need to work so hard to make one that much better than the other. When you break it down, they are actually pretty similar. Not in style, but in production and what they can give you. Personally, I am glad that all of these RBs are on our team. I would rather play with Lynch than against him. I would rather play with Jackson than against him. I would rather play with Spiller than against him. A creative offensive mind can get all of these guys touches if need be. While I still think that 1 of them will be gone before the season (most likely Lynch), I am not opposed to using all 3 on a regular basis.

And hey, if Edwards (Captain Checkdown) is our QB, they all might have 100+ catches by the end of the year!