James Cameron Plugging Oil Spill?

I knew his Avatar thing was shamelessly over hyped and even more overrated but even the numbskull left can't be this smitten by a Hollywood celeb and his crappy movie. Can they? File this under WTF !

I had to check to make sure the site wasn't The Onion

I knew his Avatar thing was shamelessly over hyped and even more overrated but even the numbskull left can't be this smitten by a Hollywood celeb and his crappy movie. Can they? File this under WTF !

I had to check to make sure the site wasn't The Onion

It can't be any worse than the golfballs idea they tried. ;)

Well...he did make Titanic and The Abyss, so he has some deep-sea experience.

Seriously, though...I believe he's done some actual, honest-to-God deep sea work (with Robert Ballard, I think), so it's not a completely ridiculous idea. Just mostly...I'd rather have Ballard giving advice.

Well...he did make Titanic and The Abyss, so he has some deep-sea experience.

Seriously, though...I believe he's done some actual, honest-to-God deep sea work (with Robert Ballard, I think), so it's not a completely ridiculous idea. Just mostly...I'd rather have Ballard giving advice.

But in all the oil industry there has to be someone that actually does this type of thing for a living. People with expertise? I mean, I would think? BP must realize now that they are really up against it working with these tards.

But in all the oil industry there has to be someone that actually does this type of thing for a living. People with expertise? I mean, I would think? BP must realize now that they are really up against it working with these tards.

Well, in all seriousness, what does it hurt? BP's geniuses have done what exactly? They didn't even seem to have a back-up plan. They just made stuff up on the spot. Perception I grant you, but c'mon. Top hats they had to make, not even one laying around ready for use. Golf balls and tires? An untested (at that depth) top kill method with mud?

That is not even going into the possible negligence.

Not really. Not a lot of deep-ocean wells have every safety feature fail, so there's never been much call before to plug a well a mile under the ocean.

Although I did hear this weekend that BP's cutting the riser pipe off. :lol: Great thinking - when you've got three failure points (number of cracks in the pipe), and can reduce them to one, do it. But why wait six weeks???? ;)

What is this, bizarro world? James Cameron going to help an oil spill, what's next? We are going to hire oil drillers to save us from an earth-bound meteor? <_<

You'll know you're in trouble when Obama holds a press conference to yell "I have never, never missed a depth that I have aimed for. And by God, I am not gonna miss this one!"

The only thing that would make that more fun would be Biden standing next to him saying, "That's easy for you to say. I owe 100 grand to a fat-ass loan shark which I spent on a stripper named Molly Mounds."

Great movie...

I love watching Holder and Bam Bam pound their fists on the desks and talking in absolutes about "the law being upheld" when it comes to taking down BP. Yet all we can get out of these clowns when it comes to Immigration or terrorists or any other issue that requires someone show some spine is "errrr.....um.....errrr.....mancaused disasters....blah blah."

Great movie...

I love watching Holder and Bam Bam pound their fists on the desks and talking in absolutes about "the law being upheld" when it comes to taking down BP. Yet all we can get out of these clowns when it comes to Immigration or terrorists or any other issue that requires someone show some spine is "errrr.....um.....errrr.....mancaused disasters....blah blah."

I'm still waiting for Holder to explain precisely what law BP may have broken...

Oh my God...just listening to the news on the radio, and they actually quoted the above as relevant experience. <_<

Well.. it's not a completely innacurate statement; although his blockbuster films are just the tip of the iceberg (man, I crack myself up). In doing a little quick googling to see just how ludicris this is, I had to conclyde that it's really not a bad idea. Cameron does appear to be somewhat well respected in the field of remote robotics and imagery. I would imagine that it's in this capacity that he's been asked assist.

Given Cameron's heavyweight Hollywood status, one can't help but wonder how he's viewed amongst the scientific community, especially those who work within the field of oceanography. Let's face it, there's a huge divide between the realms of motion pictures and science. "You're absolutely right," nods Cameron in agreement. "There's a real sense that nobody in Hollywood knows their butt from a rat hole when it comes to science and technology, you know what I mean? I think now that we've done a few of these things and we've generated the technology for our own purposes that is the equivalent to or in some cases better than what the science community has, a little bit of grudging respect has started to emerge.

The space agency [NASA] announced that Cameron is working with Malin Space Science Systems Inc. of San Diego to develop the camera, which will be the rover's "science-imaging workhorse." The rover, which was previously known as the Mars Science Laboratory, is scheduled for launch in 2011.

from: James Cmeron to Design a 3D Camera for Next-Gen Mars Rover.

Cameron has been active in the science and technology of exploration, both in space and in the oceans. He is currently a co-investigator on the development of a stereo motion image camera for the Mars Science Lander, scheduled to explore the red planet in 2009. Cameron served for 3 years on the NASA Advisory Council and remains active in space policy. ... Cameron continues to develop new robotic and camera technology for exploration and filmmaking.

from: THE MULTIVERSE NETWORK ANNOUNCES DIVERSE ADVISORY BOARD TO GUIDE COMPANY VISION FOR FUTURE OF DIGITAL ENTERTAINMENT (press release)

Cameron has been active in the science and technology of exploration, both in space and in the oceans. He is currently a co-investigator on the development of a stereo motion image camera for the Mars Science Lander, scheduled to explore the red planet in 2009. Cameron served for 3 years on the NASA Advisory Council and remains active in space policy. ... Cameron continues to develop new robotic and camera technology for exploration and filmmaking.

from: THE MULTIVERSE NETWORK ANNOUNCES DIVERSE ADVISORY BOARD TO GUIDE COMPANY VISION FOR FUTURE OF DIGITAL ENTERTAINMENT (press release)

Maybe he's not such a douche after all...

Well.. it's not a completely innacurate statement; although his blockbuster films are just the tip of the iceberg (man, I crack myself up). In doing a little quick googling to see just how ludicris this is, I had to conclyde that it's really not a bad idea. Cameron does appear to be somewhat well respected in the field of remote robotics and imagery. I would imagine that it's in this capacity that he's been asked assist.

Given Cameron's heavyweight Hollywood status, one can't help but wonder how he's viewed amongst the scientific community, especially those who work within the field of oceanography. Let's face it, there's a huge divide between the realms of motion pictures and science. "You're absolutely right," nods Cameron in agreement. "There's a real sense that nobody in Hollywood knows their butt from a rat hole when it comes to science and technology, you know what I mean? I think now that we've done a few of these things and we've generated the technology for our own purposes that is the equivalent to or in some cases better than what the science community has, a little bit of grudging respect has started to emerge.

The space agency [NASA] announced that Cameron is working with Malin Space Science Systems Inc. of San Diego to develop the camera, which will be the rover's "science-imaging workhorse." The rover, which was previously known as the Mars Science Laboratory, is scheduled for launch in 2011.

from: James Cmeron to Design a 3D Camera for Next-Gen Mars Rover.

Which I did point out: Cameron does have experience with deep-sea robotics and imagery, in his documentaries. But friggin' CBS News instead decided to cite his experience with Titanic and The Abyss. THAT citation is completely !@#$ing stupid.

On a different but related topic...I wonder if anyone's enlisted Robert Ballard's help. He's got as much if not more deep ocean experience than anyone.