SN: Bills Camp Countdown

Opponents view

(An anonymous opponent breaks down the Bills)

"Gailey was a solid choice as head coach. His hire wasn't well received up there, but he has had a lot of success as a coach in this league. With the way that team has struggled on offense, they needed someone who is strong in that area. He is very good at taking the talent he has to work with and getting the most out of it. ...

"It will be interesting to see what he can do with Edwards. I thought he was going to be a terrific quarterback, but he has regressed the past two years. If Gailey can't get the best out of Edwards, it's not there to get. ...

"Their offensive line has been a mess. Everyone knows it starts up front, so until they address that they will have problems. I like some of their pieces on defense, especially in the secondary. Going to a 3-4 is not easy when you have a bunch of guys drafted to play a 4-3. Those players will have to be coached up to make that transition."

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/20...-camp-countdown

Gailey was a "solid choice" given the fact no one else wanted to coach here. It was so bad offensive coordinators(Brian Schottenheimer) and college coaches(Harbaugh) declined offers to even interview. :rolleyes:

Gailey was a "solid choice" given the fact no one else wanted to coach here. It was so bad offensive coordinators(Brian Schottenheimer) and college coaches(Harbaugh) declined offers to even interview. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it really blows that we couldn't get an OC who somehow lost a game where his team had 300 + yards rushing because he let his rookie QB threw 5 INTs. If Marty wasn't his dad, would he even be in the NFL?

Yeah, it really blows that we couldn't get an OC who somehow lost a game where his team had 300 + yards rushing because he let his rookie QB threw 5 INTs. If Marty wasn't his dad, would he even be in the NFL?

Who is Curtis Modkins's father?

I think it is entirely possible that if the Bills had hired Bill Cowher that his choice for OC would have been............Chan Gailey.

Cowher as HC. Gailey as OC.

vs

Gailey as HC. Modkins as OC.

hmmmmm... exactly what point were you trying to make? Are you suggesting that because a former SuperBowl winning coach would like Chan as an OC; that Chan is just as good as a HC? Well when we throw Modkins into the mix... I'm starting to see your point.. :rolleyes:

whatever.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/20...-camp-countdown

"Their offensive line has been a mess. Everyone knows it starts up front, so until they address that they will have problems.

Hmmmmm.....

There's a whole bunch of people on TBD who would argue that point to death and then zombie death and then reincarnated-spliced-mutated-zombie death.

Cowher as HC. Gailey as OC.

vs

Gailey as HC. Modkins as OC.

hmmmmm... exactly what point were you trying to make? Are you suggesting that because a former SuperBowl winning coach would like Chan as an OC; that Chan is just as good as a HC? Well when we throw Modkins into the mix... I'm starting to see your point.. ;)

whatever.

This topic (head coaches) is dead and stinking. But apparently it ain't going away any time soon. So let me ask the anti-Gailey faction just what the heck you see in Cowher that makes him so dreamy, so sexy, so hot in your fantasies? And if all you gots to say is that he de-done won himself a super bowl or two, would you explain why -- geen - e - us that he supposedly is -- it took him ages and ages to win his first one? And maybe a cupla youse guys could tell us all if you'd be content to wait a decade or so for him to succeed in Bufflow?

This topic (head coaches) is dead and stinking. But apparently it ain't going away any time soon. So let me ask the anti-Gailey faction just what the heck you see in Cowher that makes him so dreamy, so sexy, so hot in your fantasies? And if all you gots to say is that he de-done won himself a super bowl or two, would you explain why -- geen - e - us that he supposedly is -- it took him ages and ages to win his first one? And maybe a cupla youse guys could tell us all if you'd be content to wait a decade or so for him to succeed in Bufflow?

I'm not saying that Cowher or even a Shany would have brought a Super Bowl to Buffalo any sooner or even at all. However, if you're a struggling franchise looking to change the losing atmosphere that permeates every aspect of your organization; the quickest way to turn things around and bring in a winning attitude is to hire highly respected, proven, leaders that have a consistent and proven track record of winninng. Cowher certainly fits that description. Gailey does not.

We can talk all about how great a coach he was in Dallas 10 years ago. We can talk all about how great he was with Thigpen 2 years ago. But the fact remains; Gailey was fired as a head coach and it took 10 years of moving around the league before he got another shot at being HC. For all of his greatness and genious that we like to pretend he has; where's his proven track record of winning? Then, to top it off he hires a completely underwhelming set of assistant coaches. And you think we're suddenly going to become a winning franchise?

I said it before, and I'll say it again. Gailey may be great. He may be the best person for this team. But, what Gailey certainly is.. is a question mark. Until he proves it on the field by winning games he's a big "if". Just like our QBs, our Offensive Line, our new defense, etc. We have alot of ifs on this team. And it all starts at the top. If Nix picked a good HC, and if that head coach can produce a winner' then we'll all be happy. Some of us, however, aren't sold on Gailey and his talk. It's not to say we don't hope for him to be great. But, its hard to have confidence in your new HC when he was unemployed last year and brought in the likes of Modkins to be his OC, not to mention a completey unproven DC to install a new defense for us.

I've been rather quiet on this team all off season out of respect for the team that I love and the fans that want to be optimistic. But, let's face it... back to the original point I was making.... a Cowher/Gailey lead team would hold a ton more promise and optimism than a Gailey/Modkins lead team. Would that promise and optimism have been justified? We'll never know, but it would have at least been there for many more fans.

I'm not saying that Cowher or even a Shany would have brought a Super Bowl to Buffalo any sooner or even at all. However, if you're a struggling franchise looking to change the losing atmosphere that permeates every aspect of your organization; the quickest way to turn things around and bring in a winning attitude is to hire highly respected, proven, leaders that have a consistent and proven track record of winninng. Cowher certainly fits that description. Gailey does not.

We can talk all about how great a coach he was in Dallas 10 years ago. We can talk all about how great he was with Thigpen 2 years ago. But the fact remains; Gailey was fired as a head coach and it took 10 years of moving around the league before he got another shot at being HC. For all of his greatness and genious that we like to pretend he has; where's his proven track record of winning? Then, to top it off he hires a completely underwhelming set of assistant coaches. And you think we're suddenly going to become a winning franchise?

I said it before, and I'll say it again. Gailey may be great. He may be the best person for this team. But, what Gailey certainly is.. is a question mark. Until he proves it on the field by winning games he's a big "if". Just like our QBs, our Offensive Line, our new defense, etc. We have alot of ifs on this team. And it all starts at the top. If Nix picked a good HC, and if that head coach can produce a winner' then we'll all be happy. Some of us, however, aren't sold on Gailey and his talk. It's not to say we don't hope for him to be great. But, its hard to have confidence in your new HC when he was unemployed last year and brought in the likes of Modkins to be his OC, not to mention a completey unproven DC to install a new defense for us.

I've been rather quiet on this team all off season out of respect for the team that I love and the fans that want to be optimistic. But, let's face it... back to the original point I was making.... a Cowher/Gailey lead team would hold a ton more promise and optimism than a Gailey/Modkins lead team. Would that promise and optimism have been justified? We'll never know, but it would have at least been there for many more fans.

Gailey was Cowher's choice for OC/Assistant HC if he had decided to coach last year. Gailey is thought of very highly around the league, and he may be a question mark to you, but guess what? I'll trust what our Lord and Savior Bill Cowher thinks of him. Not to mention Jerry Jones said the biggest mistake he ever made was firing Chan Gailey.

Been there done that with coordinators. Chan was the best choice after Shanahan and Cowher.

I can remember when Shanahan and Cowher were coordinators. Sometimes they work out, sometimes you get Greg Williams or Mike Mularkey.

I can remember when Shanahan and Cowher were coordinators. Sometimes they work out, sometimes you get Greg Williams or Mike Mularkey.

THIS JUST IN:

GAILEY HASNT MADE IT AS A HC

--1998/1999 - Takes the Dallas Cowboys to a combined 18-14 despite having HOFers Aikman/Smith/Irvin on the roster. In both years the defense out performed the offence (Gaileys "specialty") in terms of NFL ranking.

-- 32002/2007 - Takes GT to a combined 37-27 record, yet never defeated GTech's biggest rival, the University of Georgia, never won the ACC, never went to a BCS bowl, never won more than 9 games, and never finished in the top 25.

So Bills fans, let me know when a 57.3% winning percentage (just over 9 games a year), never beating the Fish/Pats, never winning the division, and never winning a playoff game is ok. So, after interviewing for the Steelers and Dolphins HC jobs - and not getting them - He is JUST RIGHT!!!! for the Bills. ;)

O, and this isnt the ACC anymore....

THIS JUST IN:

GAILEY HASNT MADE IT AS A HC

--1998/1999 - Takes the Dallas Cowboys to a combined 18-14 despite having HOFers Aikman/Smith/Irvin on the roster. In both years the defense out performed the offence (Gaileys "specialty") in terms of NFL ranking.

-- 32002/2007 - Takes GT to a combined 37-27 record, yet never defeated GTech's biggest rival, the University of Georgia, never won the ACC, never went to a BCS bowl, never won more than 9 games, and never finished in the top 25.

So Bills fans, let me know when a 57.3% winning percentage (just over 9 games a year), never beating the Fish/Pats, never winning the division, and never winning a playoff game is ok. So, after interviewing for the Steelers and Dolphins HC jobs - and not getting them - He is JUST RIGHT!!!! for the Bills. :lol:

O, and this isnt the ACC anymore....

Yeah good point, I'm not willing to give the man a chance either. ;)

How can you consider yourself a fan of the Bills if all you are going to do is B word and moan about everything they do? Now cue the last decade garbage in 3... 2... 1....