Vertical rebar spacing

scribo

There is a new home going up very close to ours. The house is being built on a fairly steep grade. They just finished the foundation, and I was very surprised to see the vertical rebar is spaced out 48". When our home was built, they put it in at 18". I realize there are several factors that can affect what is required, including the type of blocks used, but I didn't realize the rebar could be spaced that far apart. Of course, there are inspectors down here in Southern Maryland, but there are not always enough of them to keep up with all that is going up. I am just wondering if 48" can be considered acceptable in some cases. Thanks for any input.

There is a new home going up very close to ours. The house is being build on a fairly steep grade. They just finished the foundation, and I was very surprised to see the vertical rebar is spaced out 48". When our home was built, they put it in at 18". I realize there are several factors that can affect what is required, including the type of blocks used, but I didn't realize the rebar could be spaced that far apart. Of course, there are inspectors down here in Southern Maryland, but there are not always enough of them to keep up with all that is going up. I am just wondering if 48" can be considered acceptable in some cases. Thanks for any input.

Sigh...

If you are paying for new home construction, hunt around and find a reputable A&E firm. Peel off 2K front cash money to review the project and to inspect and advise during the construction. JMO.

Whew. I saw the thread, and thought you were asking for advice on how to space your own rebar, and was thinking "Man, if you need to ask that on a sports message board, you really need to not be pouring concrete."

Sigh...

If you are paying for new home construction, hunt around and find a reputable A&E firm. Peel off 2K front cash money to review the project and to inspect and advise during the construction. JMO.

Did you actually read what was written by the OP? :rolleyes:

Yep. Hilly ground. He sounded like a fellow that has a concern about shoddy construction in his neighborhood - which redounds to his own home value.

Right.

And instead of providing any insight, you stated what his neighbor should have done. :rolleyes:

(Not that I'm providing any insight myself. I just like being an argumentative a-hole)