Where your New York tax dollars go...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/25/nyregion/25spit.html

Yup, that's an average of 3 months full pay for no work.

And oh.....here's a surprise:

Spitting falls under the category of assault in the drivers’ contract with the authority. And officials at Transport Workers Union Local 100, which represents city bus operators, said the extended absences were justified.

Okay, NY. You got us THIS TIME with your amazing effort to win the Huge, Bloated, Overpaid, Lazy, Union-Backed Any-Reason-Not-To-Work Award, but we'll be back. That's right. We'll be back.

Sincerely, the State of California.

I never understood who that was when somebody mentioned stuff like you just did LA... Then a I seen the fish kill they just pulled off here in Illinois... I never seen so many OVER PAYED scientists, academicians, and bureaucrats in my life come out of the woodwork! I must have been too busy working the past 20 or so years! :rolleyes:

Okay, NY. You got us THIS TIME with your amazing effort to win the Huge, Bloated, Overpaid, Lazy, Union-Backed Any-Reason-Not-To-Work Award, but we'll be back. That's right. We'll be back.

On behalf of NYS, I accept your challenge. We will defeat even the mighty CA in the huge, bloated, over-paid, lazy, wasteful, corrupt, union-backed, any-reason-not-to-work Olympics.

Your move.

“Being spat upon — having a passenger spit in your face, spit in your mouth, spit in your eye — is a physically and psychologically traumatic experience,” said John Samuelsen, the union’s president. “If transit workers are assaulted, they are going to take off whatever amount of time they are going to take off to recuperate.”

Sensitivities have been heightened since 2008, when Edwin Thomas, a bus driver in Brooklyn, was stabbed to death by a passenger after an argument over the fare.

Wait...what? Is someone trying to argue some sort of equivalence between being spat upon and being stabbed to death? :rolleyes:

On behalf of NYS, I accept your challenge. We will defeat even the mighty CA in the huge, bloated, over-paid, lazy, wasteful, corrupt, union-backed, any-reason-not-to-work Olympics.

Your move.

I have confidence in our incompetence. Never underestimate a state so deeply in bed with the tree huggers that it is willing to shut off water to countless farms and kill thousands of jobs to protect a 3" minnow. Never underestimate a state so deeply entrenched in unions that when the state tried to cut union pay to deal with the deficit, the federal government told the state that if they do NOT give SEIU what it wants, the state will not get its stimulus money.

Stand by. We'll one-up you yet.

I have confidence in our incompetence. Never underestimate a state so deeply in bed with the tree huggers that it is willing to shut off water to countless farms and kill thousands of jobs to protect a 3" minnow. Never underestimate a state so deeply entrenched in unions that when the state tried to cut union pay to deal with the deficit, the federal government told the state that if they do NOT give SEIU what it wants, the state will not get its stimulus money.

Meanwhile here in New Jersey, Chris Christie (our rotund hero) is beating the crap out of the unions...

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/...new_jersey.html

"At a New Jersey town meeting, Gov. Chris Christie, the newest YouTube star for the limited government set, was reproached by an unhappy teacher. The governor, facing a budget shortfall of $11 billion, has proposed, among other economies, a one-year salary freeze for New Jersey teachers. Her voice raised in anger (that's a normal speaking voice in my home state), Rita Wilson protested that she should be paid $83,000, the only reasonable compensation in light of her "education and experience." Christie's reply got an ovation: "Well, you know what? Then you don't have to do it.""

...that is so awesome!

I laugh when I think about the predicted new democratic governor Andrew Cuomo telling the bus drivers..."Well, you know what? Then you don't have to do it."... Not a chance that would happen! :rolleyes:

Jesus. The transit workers' union and the MTA are pretty much skipping their way to hell holding hands.

I know a few good transit employees but I can't believe the sense of entitlement and attitude a lot of them have, and I can't believe how much corruption runs rampant in the MTA. They "lose" or misplace money all over the place. Both of them need a major kick in the ass.

Jesus. The transit workers' union and the MTA are pretty much skipping their way to hell holding hands.

I know a few good transit employees but I can't believe the sense of entitlement and attitude a lot of them have, and I can't believe how much corruption runs rampant in the MTA. They "lose" or misplace money all over the place. Both of them need a major kick in the ass.

Everyone needs to drive a vehicle, even the very tall. :rolleyes:

Someone just got four weeks of leave to deal with the stress of you accusing them of having "attitude"...

Meanwhile here in New Jersey, Chris Christie (our rotund hero) is beating the crap out of the unions...

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/...new_jersey.html

"At a New Jersey town meeting, Gov. Chris Christie, the newest YouTube star for the limited government set, was reproached by an unhappy teacher. The governor, facing a budget shortfall of $11 billion, has proposed, among other economies, a one-year salary freeze for New Jersey teachers. Her voice raised in anger (that's a normal speaking voice in my home state), Rita Wilson protested that she should be paid $83,000, the only reasonable compensation in light of her "education and experience." Christie's reply got an ovation: "Well, you know what? Then you don't have to do it.""

...that is so awesome!

I laugh when I think about the predicted new democratic governor Andrew Cuomo telling the bus drivers..."Well, you know what? Then you don't have to do it."... Not a chance that would happen! :rolleyes:

I got a kick out of the teacher saying on the one hand she should be compensated for her lofty education and then two seconds later saying that teachers do the job because they love it. My wife and I get in minor arguments all the time over teachers. Of course in my mind, they aren't that much more than glorified baby sitters and that leads to all kinds of flack.

I got a kick out of the teacher saying on the one hand she should be compensated for her lofty education and then two seconds later saying that teachers do the job because they love it. My wife and I get in minor arguments all the time over teachers. Of course in my mind, they aren't that much more than glorified baby sitters and that leads to all kinds of flack.

Not many things more annoying than the ridiculous "teachers are underpaid" b.s. I'd be underpaid too if I only had to show up 180 days a year.

Someone just got four weeks of leave to deal with the stress of you accusing them of having "attitude"...

LOL.

Seriously, when I'm trying to get a toddler home and am on one side of the car, and the train operator scolds me because he can't figure out how get his dumb ass through the other side, and just about everyone in the car gives the guy a "you're a douchebag" look, that's attitude. The dude deserved a few weeks' unpaid leave.

Good teachers are worth their weight in gold. Good teachers inspire kids to do better and help them aspire to things that were previously outside their knowledge base. Good teachers work with parents and want to do more - and some that I know even push the unions to be able to do more after school work, training that isn't mandated, etc. Unfortunately too many are in it for the wrong reasons.

I don't think there's much justification for the ladder of pay increases without any merit factoring into it, but I think good teachers deserve more incentives. Bad ones deserve less.

We should be looking to glorify and magnify the role to get better people in the mix. Giving teachers a beating just because some of them - or in a lot of cases the unions - deserve it, serves no purposes other than to steer more good people away from the potential minefield.

Good chemists and physicists and mathematicians and businesspeople surely turn the role down in part because of the pay scale - or the deferred and uncertain nature of retirement prospects in this day and age. As with most things, it's tough to demonize the whole field just because of certain outrageous people. Teachers like that cut an easy target for Christie, but they don't represent the whole and they don't represent the teachers I know.

Good teachers are worth their weight in gold. Good teachers inspire kids to do better and help them aspire to things that were previously outside their knowledge base. Good teachers work with parents and want to do more - and some that I know even push the unions to be able to do more after school work, training that isn't mandated, etc. Unfortunately too many are in it for the wrong reasons.

I don't think there's much justification for the ladder of pay increases without any merit factoring into it, but I think good teachers deserve more incentives. Bad ones deserve less.

We should be looking to glorify and magnify the role to get better people in the mix. Giving teachers a beating just because some of them - or in a lot of cases the unions - deserve it, serves no purposes other than to steer more good people away from the potential minefield.

Good chemists and physicists and mathematicians and businesspeople surely turn the role down in part because of the pay scale - or the deferred and uncertain nature of retirement prospects in this day and age. As with most things, it's tough to demonize the whole field just because of certain outrageous people. Teachers like that cut an easy target for Christie, but they don't represent the whole and they don't represent the teachers I know.

Sorry, but give me a break. A couple of weeks ago, 30,000 union members (though noted that not all were teachers) protested Christie's plans. If there are some teachers who were accepting of pay freezes then they are being awfully silent...

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/05/p...out_in_for.html

"New Jersey Education Association President Barbara Keshishian criticized Christie for his "arrogant, destructive policies." The governor and the state teachers' unions have been feuding for months over pay freezes."

These "we do it for the children" teachers should be thanking their lucky stars they even have jobs in this economy. But these little piggies are crying about the prospects of pay freezes in a state where 70 billion wealth left the state between 2004 and 2008 due to it's high tax rate...

http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2010/...th_over_fo.html

Your move.

No offense guys, but do you really think that NY or CA can match up with the incompetence/corruption of Illinois? I don't think so.