Yahoo! sports article on Gailey and the pistol offense

And how did that work out, and I mean that more in an honest comparison way, not a sarcasm way. From what I read Gailey was replaced in 2009 after 3 ineffective offensive preseason games.

Haley had an offensive background when he was brought over. He didn't want someone else to run his offense, they have different phillosophies. He spent a lot of money on FA and trades and his offense wasn't as good as Gailey's was the previous year.

Gailey's offenses:

In Pittsburgh was 7th and 11th in points, with Tomczak and Kordell at QB. The season after he left, they were 28th.

In Dallas was 9th and 11th in points. The season before he took over, 22nd. The season after he left, 23rd.

In Miami they were 16th and 11th in points with Jay friggin' Fiedler at QB and Oronde Gadsden as their number 1 WR.

Buffalo's HIGHEST ranking in points in the last SIX seasons is TWENTY THIRD.

Gailey's offenses:

In Pittsburgh was 7th and 11th in points, with Tomczak and Kordell at QB. The season after he left, they were 28th.

In Dallas was 9th and 11th in points. The season before he took over, 22nd. The season after he left, 23rd.

In Miami they were 16th and 11th in points with Jay friggin' Fiedler at QB and Oronde Gadsden as their number 1 WR.

What are you doing injecting facts, AD?

Gailey's offenses:

Good stats. There can be no doubt that Gailey is a far superior coach than Jauron. I for one think that many fans don't understand just how much damage was done to this team during the Levy/Jauron years.

While I blame Ralph for putting them both in positions that they were clearly unqualified for, the incompetence was stunning. Looking back to 06, a huge majority of their free agent signings, draft picks, and trades were bad moves, let alone the attrocious coaching.

Imo, this draft was a step toward respectability, but it won't come easy. The good news is that both Gailey and Nix appear to have a clue.

I believe the Bills will be a 500 team this year and may be a little better like a 9-7 at best. I also believe that our front office had everyone set up well in advance before any one knew so they went and got Brohm as a project. I believe Brohm will have a legit chance within the year to be our franchise qb and if he doesn’t cut it, then they will get one next year or Trent can redeem himself. Chan is getting our “O” line situated first and using Fitz or Trent to take the burden until Brohm can get set up. If Brohm doesn’t pan out then know harm done. I also feel that Buffalo will get a chance to see all this before the bye week. If our O line is getting things done by the bye then we will have our qb of the future in there. If Trent can step it up, then he too can still become our qb of the future. Chan can make stuff happen and will be able to make these guys work. Trent can still be a good qb for a good offensive style coach, with that said, he have one in Chan. Our biggest question will be do we have a good defensive coordinator????? We had a defense that had or kept us in games regardless of opinions, we did. How many games did we get blown out in last year????Now we changed the whole team, and that might hurt us a little bit. I see us running a power offense with the mindset of run first and then run second to keep our defense off the field. The reason being is Chan is not hiding the fact we have one proven receiver so we will check down and throw for 5 yards at a time because we will be running on just about every play we have. Look at the Steelers older type of offense and look at “SLASH” I see Spiller being a slash receiver and the rest is us running. That is not a bad thing and having this type of offense drives the 3-4 crazy because the blitzes become a risk of a checkdown throw opening up to huge gain. The single most person we can thank for this is a guy we all wanted, and really helped out his man was a Steeler, thanks Bill for getting Buffalo back to where we needed to be.

Gailey's offenses:

Excellent points. Moreover, all of those teams were playoff teams as well.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ap3u...ancebills053010

This is why we hired Chan Gailey.

This is a prime example of how coaches should run their team - develop a system based on the personnel you have, not jam a system down the players' throats and force them to learn it.

We may not see The Pistol, the WCO, or any other already-beaten-to-death offense that other teams know how to defend. I'd hope that we're more likely to see something that Gailey thinks will work based on the strengths of the skill positions.

Gailey's offenses:

Very interesting observations. I'm in the camp that believes the Bills Defense will be greatly improved this year but we'll likely finish below .500 because of an inept offense.

Those stats do make you wonder though, especially with the lack of QB talent in Pittsburgh and Miami at the time.

Good stats. There can be no doubt that Gailey is a far superior coach than Jauron. I for one think that many fans don't understand just how much damage was done to this team during the Levy/Jauron years.

While I blame Ralph for putting them both in positions that they were clearly unqualified for, the incompetence was stunning. Looking back to 06, a huge majority of their free agent signings, draft picks, and trades were bad moves, let alone the attrocious coaching.

Imo, this draft was a step toward respectability, but it won't come easy. The good news is that both Gailey and Nix appear to have a clue.

I was hoping that Jauron would have learned from his first stint as a HC that you can't have a "Pop Warner" offense and expect to succeed in the NFL. That turned out to be wrong. ;)

And initially I was enthused about the Tampa-2, but it quickly fell out of favor. :lol::lol:

With Gailey, I'm not expecting miracles. I think he'll improve the offense. As for defense, the transition to the 3-4 will probably be rough. But the 3-4 (a true 3-4, not like the Bills ran during the SB years) is a great defense because it provides flexibility. Although now it will probably be phased-out soon. <_< <_< <_<

I have no idea how Chan is going to work out as a head coach, but he is legitimately a top 10 offensive coordinator.

The facts are that he has never been one and will probably never be one. He has historically been mediocre and I don't expect that to change in Buffalo. Some people tend to get excited at the prospect of a new head coach after the ten years of **** we have just lived through. And will revise history to make that coaching change seem like the move of the century to increase, and justify, their excitement. The season will start soon enough and we will see.

Gailey's offenses:

'Nuff said. I bet the Bills offense ranks in the top 15 this year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ap3u...ancebills053010

I attend the University of Nevada, Reno and I've watched the Wolf Pack play in the Pistol offense over the last five years.

Granted, Nevada plays against crappy teams in a crappy conference (minus Boise State), but the pistol requires an athletic quarterback who can scramble when a play breaks down. It also requires a power back and a speedy back or two.

Nevada's pistol racks up a lot of yards on the ground with a zone blocking scheme; however, the pistol has an almost non-existent passing game. While there are some big play on offense, the offense is kind of "feast" or "famine". In other words, it is a one trick pony (albeit an exciting trick), but if defense figures it out, then it is hard to adjust the offensive scheme.

Expect Buffalo to rush for close to 200 yards a game but only get 100-150 passing yards (if the offense runs correctly) mostly out of the backfield and short pass plays 3-7 yards.

The facts are that he has never been one and will probably never be one. He has historically been mediocre and I don't expect that to change in Buffalo. Some people tend to get excited at the prospect of a new head coach after the ten years of **** we have just lived through. And will revise history to make that coaching change seem like the move of the century to increase, and justify, their excitement. The season will start soon enough and we will see.

Mr. CodeMonkey, with regret, I agree with you 100%. I am so tired of hearing how "good" or "promising" the team is looking. I have been hearing this same ole song for ten years and counting. Feels like a broken record. I know I am a "Doom and Gloomer" and others have attacked me for that. Some many people here are talking like Chan Galiey is a "GOD." His track record is medicore to good at best.

Thanks for the post even if it was negative. Makes me feel like I am not the only one who thinks like this.

I believe the Bills will be a 500 team this year and may be a little better like a 9-7 at best. I also believe that our front office had everyone set up well in advance before any one knew so they went and got Brohm as a project. I believe Brohm will have a legit chance within the year to be our franchise qb and if he doesn’t cut it, then they will get one next year or Trent can redeem himself. Chan is getting our “O” line situated first and using Fitz or Trent to take the burden until Brohm can get set up. If Brohm doesn’t pan out then know harm done. I also feel that Buffalo will get a chance to see all this before the bye week. If our O line is getting things done by the bye then we will have our qb of the future in there. If Trent can step it up, then he too can still become our qb of the future. Chan can make stuff happen and will be able to make these guys work. Trent can still be a good qb for a good offensive style coach, with that said, he have one in Chan. Our biggest question will be do we have a good defensive coordinator????? We had a defense that had or kept us in games regardless of opinions, we did. How many games did we get blown out in last year????Now we changed the whole team, and that might hurt us a little bit. I see us running a power offense with the mindset of run first and then run second to keep our defense off the field. The reason being is Chan is not hiding the fact we have one proven receiver so we will check down and throw for 5 yards at a time because we will be running on just about every play we have. Look at the Steelers older type of offense and look at “SLASH” I see Spiller being a slash receiver and the rest is us running. That is not a bad thing and having this type of offense drives the 3-4 crazy because the blitzes become a risk of a checkdown throw opening up to huge gain. The single most person we can thank for this is a guy we all wanted, and really helped out his man was a Steeler, thanks Bill for getting Buffalo back to where we needed to be.

Your are entitled to your opinion and I respect your post. However, I do not share the same "VERY OPTIMISTIC" viewpoint. Without all due respect, I found it to be boderline halarious. How can someone who is a knowledgeable Bills fan agree with this? Maybe I am missing the boat? I know you will let me know...

(1) I believe the front office had everything set up in advance. What does that mean? You talk about the QB situation and talk about Brohm maybe being a franchise QB and in the next sentence you talk about Edwards taking over. You are all over the place...

(2) If our O line is getting things done ... What kind of statement is that? Our OL is young, inexperienced, and unproven. Some could agrue it is one of the worst in the NFL and our weakest area on the team.

(3) Then you talk about Galiey and his offensive plan/style. Is the PISTOL offensense Gailey is noted for similiar to the offense your talking about? Good NFL offenses need to throw the ball downfield effectively. Running and running and checking down is only going to get you so far.

(4) Chan is not hiding the fact we have one proven receiver . When did he say or imply this? Ridiculous statement for a head coach to say. Need I say more?

(5) Our biggest question will be do we have a good defensive coordinator? A defensive coordinator needs good defensive players. We lack a established nose tackle, bonafide pass rushers (Schobel probably retiring), and have adequate LB at best. Your right about the new system and defensive coordinator adjustments will take time.

You are entitled to your opinions...That is what makes this forum so much fun.

This Pistol has (2) runners in formation, a HB and a FB as a blocker. The Bills will keep Lynch (and always wanted to) because he is the only RB on the team who can fulfill the blocking assignments of the Pistol.

This Pistol has (2) runners in formation, a HB and a FB as a blocker. The Bills will keep Lynch (and always wanted to) because he is the only RB on the team who can fulfill the blocking assignments of the Pistol.

There is little to no reason to believe that the Bills will be using the "pistol" offense.

Gailey has run all kinds of offenses in his coaching career and only used a modified "pistol" out of utter emergency because of the hand he was dealt. He has completely different problems, talent, players, etc. here and is most known for adapting the talent he has at hand into an offense to best utilize its strengths and best mask its weaknesses.

Unless you want to say that having a bunch of unproven quarterbacks and a bunch of unproven OL is exactly the same as any other group like that, KC and Buffalo's offenses are nothing similar. We actually have a lot more talent on offense than Gailey had to work with in KC.

There is little to no reason to believe that the Bills will be using the "pistol" offense.

Gailey has run all kinds of offenses in his coaching career and only used a modified "pistol" out of utter emergency because of the hand he was dealt. He has completely different problems, talent, players, etc. here and is most known for adapting the talent he has at hand into an offense to best utilize its strengths and best mask its weaknesses.

Unless you want to say that having a bunch of unproven quarterbacks and a bunch of unproven OL is exactly the same as any other group like that, KC and Buffalo's offenses are nothing similar. We actually have a lot more talent on offense than Gailey had to work with in KC.

I think you missed the memo. Gailey is going to change his approach to coaching and start pounding square pegs through round holes.