Yahoo! sports article on Gailey and the pistol offense

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ap3u...ancebills053010

In 2008, Gailey was serving as the Chiefs’ offensive coordinator, and he had a major problem. Injuries had taken quarterbacks Brodie Croyle(notes) and Damon Huard(notes) off the roster, and by the season’s halfway point, he was faced with going through the rest of the season with third-string quarterback Tyler Thigpen(notes) as his starter. Drafted in the seventh round by the Vikings in the 2007 draft, Thigpen didn’t make the cut in Minnesota and drifted onto the bottom of Kansas City’s depth chart. Gailey, who had enjoyed success in Pittsburgh by using Kordell Stewart’s athletic gifts in option situations to mitigate his drawbacks as a pure passer, went back to the well and came up with a different option: The Pistol formation.

Conceived by Chris Ault of the Nevada Wolfpack, the Pistol is a great hybrid of the spread offense sets that have taken the college game by storm, and the more power-based, blocking-friendly formations that are required with some consistency in the NFL. It’s a modified, shorter shotgun formation (hence the name), with the quarterback lined up about three yards behind center and the halfback a couple more yards behind the quarterback. Gailey gave Thigpen the advantages he was used to with Coastal Carolina’s spread offense, but used the Pistol to add play action and extra-blocking options. Over his last 10 games in 2008, Thigpen completed 192 passes in 330 attempts for 2,216 yards, 16 touchdowns and only eight interceptions.

This is why we hired Chan Gailey.

I like the last section:

"If any coach can overcome the lack of QB talent on the Bills roster, he is the one."

Gailey has been a pretty innovative coach throughout the years and has been a master of getting more from less. The offense likely will be a breath of fresh air this year and should be pretty effective at getting good matchups and moving the ball...if Kordell Stewart can be made into a pro-bowler by this guy, so can Trent Edwards or Ryan Fitzpatrick...

look what happened with Stewart after Gailey left...

I like the last section:

"If any coach can overcome the lack of QB talent on the Bills roster, he is the one."

Gailey has been a pretty innovative coach throughout the years and has been a master of getting more from less. The offense likely will be a breath of fresh air this year and should be pretty effective at getting good matchups and moving the ball...if Kordell Stewart can be made into a pro-bowler by this guy, so can Trent Edwards or Ryan Fitzpatrick...

look what happened with Stewart after Gailey left...

Stewart ended up playing for Dick Jauron in Chicago, that's what happened to him. :)

This is why we hired Chan Gailey.

Or perhaps not. He didn't use that offense for Kordell Stewart or for Troy Aikman or for Neil O'Donnell ....

I'm sure his flexibility was a major factor in his hiring, but no way to know which offense he will be using. Your guess is as good as anyone else's, but it's only a guess.

I have no idea how Chan is going to work out as a head coach, but he is legitimately a top 10 offensive coordinator.

???

How did he become that? By getting fired by the Chiefs? Go back and check the passing games of Miami and Pittsburgh---was Gailey a "legitimate top ten OC" then? If not, when did he become one?

Just asking.

???

How did he become that? By getting fired by the Chiefs? Go back and check the passing games of Miami and Pittsburgh---was Gailey a "legitimate top ten OC" then? If not, when did he become one?

Just asking.

He got fired by the Chiefs because Todd Haley wanted to run the offense.

I think the important theme to what Gailey will bring is is creativity, and flexiblity. We have good talent on the offense. it's just been lost to poor offensive line play (and lack of talent at LT), and also unimaginative offensive strategy.

He got fired by the Chiefs because Todd Haley wanted to run the offense.

And how did that work out, and I mean that more in an honest comparison way, not a sarcasm way. From what I read Gailey was replaced in 2009 after 3 ineffective offensive preseason games.

And how did that work out, and I mean that more in an honest comparison way, not a sarcasm way. From what I read Gailey was replaced in 2009 after 3 ineffective offensive preseason games.

As Coach Yoast said best: "Gailey's offense is like Novacaine...just give it time, it always works..."

???

Just asking.

The facts are that he has never been one and will probably never be one. He has historically been mediocre and I don't expect that to change in Buffalo. Some people tend to get excited at the prospect of a new head coach after the ten years of **** we have just lived through. And will revise history to make that coaching change seem like the move of the century to increase, and justify, their excitement. The season will start soon enough and we will see.

Now I know KC had a horrible defense in 2008, but for all the praise of Thigpen & Gailey for 2008, they only won 2 games the whole year. It's still about winning & not about acceptable statistics.

Thigpen was the QB and Gailey was the Offensive Co. Neither person had any impact on the defense. Therefore, the only thingt to go by would be the stats. His offense had way less talent than ours and he was down to the 3rd QB. What he did in KC was quite impressive