Dick Jauron & Co.

Over the last couple of days there's been a lot of intel coming from players regarding Bills football under Dick Jauron and staff. Soft workouts, overly simplified schemes and the Club Med style of a player friendly coach... I'm wondering how much the Mickey Mouse schemes of the prior staff affected the mental preparation of the Bills players?

Being a professional can only take you so far and players know when coach doesn't have it all together and they know when their coach is in over his head. If they lacked confidence is his abilities and schemes then it had to have a massive detrimental effect in their preparation and play.

What's most refreshing is the effusive praise that the players are giving Gailey and Edwards. It won't matter if they don't win but it's a nice change and I can't help but believe that this team will be much improved.

I think we're going to shock some teams.........

Don't get me wrong as I am glad Jauron is long gone but right now the players and coaching staff are in their honeymoon period. It will crumble quickly if wins do not start coming. I believe Nix and Gailey are moving in the right direction. The defense will need to come on quickly as the o-line is still a huge question mark and QB is far from settled. I just hope the Bills are competitve this year and have a legitimate wiff at the playoffs by week 12.

Of course they are going to praise Gailey and Edwards. You expect them to say something negative about their coaches? No one said anything negative about Dick while he was here. Player comments are taken too seriously. Believe it or not the players have motives for things they are saying and the motive is usually along the lines of "what does the organization want to hear?"

Over the last couple of days there's been a lot of intel coming from players regarding Bills football under Dick Jauron and staff. Soft workouts, overly simplified schemes and the Club Med style of a player friendly coach... I'm wondering how much the Mickey Mouse schemes of the prior staff affected the mental preparation of the Bills players?

Being a professional can only take you so far and players know when coach doesn't have it all together and they know when their coach is in over his head. If they lacked confidence is his abilities and schemes then it had to have a massive detrimental effect in their preparation and play.

What's most refreshing is the effusive praise that the players are giving Gailey and Edwards. It won't matter if they don't win but it's a nice change and I can't help but believe that this team will be much improved.

I fully agree. It is becoming very clear that the past coaching staff was not very demanding (or knowledgeable). Whitner's comments are very telling in saying they've installed more defenses in two days than in all of last season. On the offensive side, it's nice to hear that plays will be used to setup other plays -- that different things will happen out of the same formation -- not always so in the past. Very much looking forward to this season. If nothing else, it should be far more exciting than previous years.

I fully agree. It is becoming very clear that the past coaching staff was not very demanding (or knowledgeable). Whitner's comments are very telling in saying they've installed more defenses in two days than in all of last season. On the offensive side, it's nice to hear that plays will be used to setup other plays -- that different things will happen out of the same formation -- not always so in the past. Very much looking forward to this season. If nothing else, it should be far more exciting than previous years.

I agree as well.

True, but it's not like there was an absence of effusive praise for Jauron while he was here.

Absolutely true.

IIRC, Trent Edwards called Jauron the best NFL HC he's ever had (he made that statement pre Gailey).

Of course they are going to praise Gailey and Edwards. You expect them to say something negative about their coaches? No one said anything negative about Dick while he was here. Player comments are taken too seriously. Believe it or not the players have motives for things they are saying and the motive is usually along the lines of "what does the organization want to hear?"

I agree that there is not a single player in the world who is going to publicly rip his current coaches because that would be suicide.

However, what is very interesting to hear is the subtle and explicit critiques of Coach Dick. In fact, the comments that are not quite direct might be the most telling. It is so clear that we have just escaped from what might have been the worst example of head coaching in team history and we have had some other real "winners" but Coach Dick's basic philosophy of playing not to lose rather than playing to win big really tells the story.

I really am hopeful about where we are going ... no one will really know until we get through training camp and a couple of positions are decided. Of course, we could do a complete Madden analysis and that way we won't have to watch any games this year.

GO BILLS :pirate:

What's most refreshing is the effusive praise that the players are giving Gailey and Edwards.

Don't discount the 'blowing smoke up their windpipe' element of a lot of this talk.

IIRC, players were making the same kind of comments about Jauron being a welcome change when he took over for Meathead....

you can always argue weather you should work the players hard or not , I think teams have won both ways. The negative Jouron impact is two fold. 1. His desire for undersized and fast defense players, at a time when almost every other team was moving in the oppisite direction . Second his need to have a very simple offensive scheme . How many times did we hear our players saying that the other team seemed to know exactly what we were doing.?. Chan and buddy can fix both but it will not be done in one year. However I am amazed at how quickly they are putting together a new d. I think with one more good offseason the d has a chance to be very good. I don't know what to make of the offense with big question marks at left tackle and Quaterback it is anybodies guess on how it will turn outl.

Absolutely true.

IIRC, Trent Edwards called Jauron the best NFL HC he's ever had (he made that statement pre Gailey).

Well he was also his only NFL head coach at that time as well. Who wouldn't like a pansy-ass soft coach who lets you make millions in the NFL and doesn't hold you accountable.....

The old staff did not demand excellence. "It is hard to win in the NFL" said Coach Jauron The players did not push themselves because expectations were low, losing was ok. Lots of close games were losing efforts. The players and the coaching staff were used to losing and seemed ok with it. Many games where lost by inaction or the wrong action at halftime.

The players loved Jauron because he is loyal and fair. He was missing the key intangible ingredient that demands the most from every player and then gets it. On the flipside many New England players dislike Bellichek, but yet the play for him .

It's no mistake that our last HC wasn't offered a DC position in the league.

He's a positional coach - and a good one at that - but he was an abject disaster as a HC.

Shame on you Marv for foisting that pretender on The Bills and their fan base.

About the same impact Club Levy had...........

Absolutely true.

You're on to something there. I also overhead Edwards say Stanford is the best college football program he has ever played for.

You're on to something there. I also overhead Edwards say Stanford is the best college football program he has ever played for.

For Father's Day he got his father a mug that said "You're my favorite dad in the world!"