Defensive scheme more complex

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Scout teams run the 3-4 and did so last year. No real benefit for the O

That's true when preparing for specific opponents from week to week during the regular season. But during training camp, the O will go against our defense in the fronts and packages the defense is trying to perfect for the upcoming season. And it will be starters against starters as opposed to the starting O going against second/third team players trying to mimic the looks that week's opponents are going to give on defense.

GO BILLS!!!

I couln't believe I read that statement. Incredible.

How about his one?

"I've never been around a guy that's very conscientious of what offensive plays set up other plays," quarterback Trent Edwards said. "He's doing a lot of motion and shifting, trying to disguise a certain play so it doesn't look like it's the same to the defense."

Clearly, on both defense and offense we have significantly upgraded our coaching.

They're installing a new defense, whereas they played the cover two for three years prior to last season. If they weren't installing a lot more this season than last I'd be really concerned.

Anyone else finding it a bit... suspicious/annoying/telling that it's Donte "I guarantee we'll make the playoffs" Whitner that has so much to say now that the old staff is gone? Methinks he's in love with the sound of his own voice/de-activated twitter account... Can you say "Diva," or maybe "Drama Queen?"

The only person I'd have less interest in hearing from at this point would be Maybin. And for the record, this is not a reflection of what I think of them as players, just as media whores.

How about his one?

"I've never been around a guy that's very conscientious of what offensive plays set up other plays," quarterback Trent Edwards said. "He's doing a lot of motion and shifting, trying to disguise a certain play so it doesn't look like it's the same to the defense."

Clearly, on both defense and offense we have significantly upgraded our coaching.

This is telling. And based on watching that PAINFUL offense the past few years, as well as TEs seeming reluctance to throw people under the bus or open himself up to the media, most likely true.

Anyone else finding it a bit... suspicious/annoying/telling that it's Donte "I guarantee we'll make the playoffs" Whitner that has so much to say now that the old staff is gone? Methinks he's in love with the sound of his own voice/de-activated twitter account... Can you say "Diva," or maybe "Drama Queen?"

I've tried to like Donte, but everything he says annoys me.

How about his one?

But not our correct usage of the English language...

No TV's in the weight rooom, Roscoe Parrish excited to be involved in offense, Whitner doing squats, defensive scheme more complex, end of the Jauron club med approach. Russ Brandon, the marketing genious, has got to behind this. You'd think the Bills are on the verge of being competitive. When in reality they're positioning themselves for the top pick in the 2011 draft.

I hope we become the team that nobody wants to play, like the Steelers or Ravens. You think Ray Lewis hasnt done squats since college?

I was disgusted when I read that. I do squats, deadlifts, and power cleans and im just some schmo who likes to be in shape. I dont have televisions, a weight room and coaches. I have a dark basement and some weights I bought second hand.

How about his one?

I know that in the past, adversaries have said our game plan was (dont quote me) something to the effect of 'high schoolish' or 'just plain simple'

Its hard to believe tht DJ was running such an amateur show at a professional level. With even an above average coaching staff, we may suddeny (and hopefuly) realize that we have our own Chris Johnson (Spiller) Antonio Gates (S Nelson) Santana Moss (Lee Evans) and Kyle Orton (Trent Edwards) and nobody even knew.

Granted, asking S Nelson to be 'Gates-esque' is a reach, but our other players can realistically be equated to my other comparisons. If I told you we 'actually' had CJ, Gates, S. Moss and Kyle Orton on our roster, it wouoldn't be unreasonable to think we were a 9-7 or 10-6 team. Just my thoughts.....so don't rip me apart folks. :wallbash:

How about his one?

The whole point of having different plays is that one play sets up another. A pass sets up a draw, a trap sets up a lead block., a sweep sets up a counter, going deep sets up playaction, ect, ect.

I know that in the past, adversaries have said our game plan was (dont quote me) something to the effect of 'high schoolish' or 'just plain simple'

Its hard to believe tht DJ was running such an amateur show at a professional level. With even an above average coaching staff, we may suddeny (and hopefuly) realize that we have our own Chris Johnson (Spiller) Antonio Gates (S Nelson) Santana Moss (Lee Evans) and Kyle Orton (Trent Edwards) and nobody even knew.

Granted, asking S Nelson to be 'Gates-esque' is a reach, but our other players can realistically be equated to my other comparisons. If I told you we 'actually' had CJ, Gates, S. Moss and Kyle Orton on our roster, it wouoldn't be unreasonable to think we were a 9-7 or 10-6 team. Just my thoughts.....so don't rip me apart folks. :wallbash:

Yeah - having been a Bills fan for twenty plus years I'm pretty used to disappointment - but, I think our coaching these past four years has been really bad, and I think we have a more talented roster than most people give us credit for. I've said it before - you put Shanahan, Cowher, or Bellicheck here and with our roster people would say, "you never know - they could make a wildcard". Our team is young and hungry - and now we have a coach who seems to know about simple things that we haven't seen around here in about a decade - like realizing we have a home field advantage by playing in the weather - how many people have wondered why we look less prepared to play at home in the winter than some of our opponents? I think our team will be restored to, at a minimum, competitiveness again, and could be a surprise team if our O-line holds up.

Opponents must have loved Buffalo week because minimal film study was needed. Well it's gonna be one of 12 plays. :wallbash:

How about his one?

IMO too many coaches think that subterfuge on a play doesn't give much of an advantage. I disagree, it gives a huge advantage. Your forcing the defense to watch a lot of film each week and your causing them to look for more things that might give away the play just before the snap. IMO, that can slow down the reaction time from the D.

They're installing a new defense, whereas they played the cover two for three years prior to last season. If they weren't installing a lot more this season than last I'd be really concerned.

The only person I'd have less interest in hearing from at this point would be Maybin. And for the record, this is not a reflection of what I think of them as players, just as media whores.

It's not that they're installing more it's that the total number of plays is much greater. The Bills D could have used a lot more in the defensive playbook the last four years. JMO

Scout teams run the 3-4 and did so last year. No real benefit for the O

Didn't Trent Edwards come out and say after a game against a 3-4 team, "That wasn't the defense we practiced against this week".

No TV's in the weight rooom, Roscoe Parrish excited to be involved in offense, Whitner doing squats, defensive scheme more complex, end of the Jauron club med approach. Russ Brandon, the marketing genious, has got to behind this. You'd think the Bills are on the verge of being competitive. When in reality they're positioning themselves for the top pick in the 2011 draft.

Hype and hope only works for so long. Eventually, most people read between the lines and come to the realization there is neither. Just because something changes doesn't mean it's better.

And as much as this team will be in competition for the 2011 top pick, who knows what happening with A) The NFL's looming work stoppage and B) Buffalo's ownership situation.

I'd like to believe Buffalo becomes a good team at some point. But the outside factors listed may not allow it.

There is so much to like about those few comments. During the last few years it seemed like - and infuriated me - teams were dictating to us what they would do. We'd bend but not usually break until the fourth quarter. But, we were soft. We couldn't stop teams. To see these guys that we have together now attacking the QB and running backs, to think that our secondary has been held back for a few years and that their best is yet to come - that is all encouraging. There is a tangible excitement coming from these players and I think it'll translate onto the field. I think opponents aren't going to know what they're up against, defensively, for the first few weeks, and that we'll surprise some people - Green Bay did it last year, so it can be done in the first year of a switch.

Yeah, this has me wondering too what to expect this season.

Was the scheme holding our players back? Poor conditioning causing most of the injuries?

I heard things like that about Whitner- that the reason he has been sort of incognito since arriving is because of the various roles the previous regime was asking him to perform; none of which were the right fit for Whitner. I'd like to think that there was a reason why he was drafted #8 overall other than senility.

It's long been clear that Jauron sucked. The weight room makeover is a huge investment in the betterment of the team.

It would be amazing to come and find the Bills to be the surprise of the year because all of the talent was being held back by a lack of a plan and terrible schemes.

It would be amazing to come and find the Bills to be the surprise of the year because all of the talent was being held back by a lack of a plan and terrible schemes.

To be so badly out-coached, out-conditioned, out-worked, etc. and to STILL win 6 games last year and 7 the prior years is really amazing. That hints that the team HAS some genuine talent -- at least in areas.

Hype and hope only works for so long. Eventually, most people read between the lines and come to the realization there is neither. Just because something changes doesn't mean it's better.

And as much as this team will be in competition for the 2011 top pick, who knows what happening with A) The NFL's looming work stoppage and B) Buffalo's ownership situation.

I'd like to believe Buffalo becomes a good team at some point. But the outside factors listed may not allow it.

I will bet one year of deciding each others avatars that the Bills get lower than a 5th round pick in 2011 due to their record. This team is NOT in contention for the #1 pick unless they are decimated by injuries. JMO

To be so badly out-coached, out-conditioned, out-worked, etc. and to STILL win 6 games last year and 7 the prior years is really amazing. That hints that the team HAS some genuine talent -- at least in areas.

What he said! :wallbash:

I will bet one year of deciding each others avatars that the Bills get lower than a 5th round pick in 2011 due to their record. This team is NOT in contention for the #1 pick unless they are decimated by injuries. JMO

I'll bet they get a pick higher than the fifth round :wallbash: . Just sayin....but I know what you meant and I tend to agree.

Can you say "Diva," or maybe "Drama Queen?"

Actually, I was thing more along the lines of LAMP. :wallbash:

Reporters use the same players all the time for quotes, so if Whitner's in the story, its more a function of how hard Rodney McKissic felt like working that day...