Holy Crap, this team wasn't doing Squats?!?!?!!?

You're supposed to break 90 degrees. Ass to the grass is the proper term. It's not a squat unless you break parallel. Proper form, stance and movement is how you stay injury free. You also can't bite off more than you can chew and lift a reasonable weight.

Powerlifters know the consequences. They wear lifting suits and have knee wraps. The rep doesn't count at a contest unless you break parallel.

I must know something about weights since both my sons ,who i have lift at home have both been the strongest kid on their highschool football team. Oh yeah my youngest one who is a soph now only weighs 160 lbs. Go past parellel on your lifts good luck. Been there done that. I know my youngest son isn`t going to do it. I`ve been told by more than one surgeon that going past parellel is just a matter of time. Two bad knee`s tell me they were right. :)

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must know something about weights since both my sons ,who i have lift at home have both been the strongest kid on their highschool football team. Oh yeah my youngest one who is a soph now only weighs 160 lbs. Go past parellel on your lifts good luck. Been there done that. I know my youngest son isn`t going to do it. I`ve been told by more than one surgeon that going past parellel is just a matter of time. Two bad knee`s tell me they were right. :)

And many docs, Surgeons say different.

Regarding the parellel thing.......I have seen medical arguements both for and against.....

My son goes to parellel but not under it.......at 200 pounds he can rep 525 (when his knee is at 100 percent)......but he will not go below parallel.

Personally I feel the Deadlift is the best, same muscle groups in a more natural motion. But for someone to still pull this 'Squats are bad for the knees' stuff is someone that has not read the research nor put tons of plates on the bar, chalked up and SQUATTED!

Look there are plenty of qualified strength coaches out there who disagree about having players do squats. For instance, the Vikings under Denny Green and Steelers in the mid 90's used hi-intensity training with Hammer equipment. One of the reasons cited to me at a conference back then was risk of injury. They said, try explaining to a head coach that their star player cannot play because he blew out a knee from squats when there are other effective exercises available.

That being said, there are obviously other qualified strength coaches out their who feel differently (i.e. the new Bills staff). From my personal experience I knew Pat Moorer, now director of strength and conditioning at Louiville, back when he was at Illinois. In general, he believed in having his players do squats.

Keep in mind, not every athlete is cut out for squats due to a variety of factors (i.e. morphology, injuries, etc.).

And again, you're refusing to see the complexity to the situation. It's not black and white.

Guys with different goals, different injury histories, guys trying to lose weight versus guys trying to put on weight, different physiognomies and all the other hundreds of little variables have legitimately different approaches to exercises, including squats.

EDIT: As I worked my way down, I see that GaryPinC and others made my point for me, and much better besides.

People in lifting get caught up in these little eddies and whorls where they believe that one school and one school only has the correct idea, and that everyone else is wrong. They get their ideas primarily from other lifters and perhaps read a book or two which those lifters recommend. Few read the journal studies, and few acknowledge that people like strength coaches, physical therapists and other experts might possibly know more than they do.

The world of lifting is weird, frankly. And it draws the macho types who defend what they first learned from their mentors to the death, regardless of what their mentors taught, and where they learned it.

Bottom line, cut the bull **** and SQUAT. All these alternitives, excuses are pure crap. There is NO substitute for putting the weight on your shoulders (front or back) and squatting. They are NOT bad for the knees or back unless you are doing them wrong period.

Thanks for providing the perfect example, right in the next post.

Ignorance is bliss huh? You don't blow ACL's from going below parallel its how you keep from it. BTW the Surgeon that put back together my knee AGREES with me its how you keep them strong and healthy.

I'll definitely take advice from a guy who blew out his knees. I don't know you personally. But I do know about a million guys who will - loudly and frequently - tell you how to lift correctly. And when you ask them about the scars on their knees, you find out that they're still happily doing exactly the same stuff they blew out their knees with.

And surgeons are generally experts on surgery. Weight-lifting, not necessarily so much.

Wow! I'm not a workout warrior anymore not since college however, hearing that guys hadn't done squats since college is troubling.

You're about the tenth guy in this thread to say that. And the article didn't say that. It said that a few guys (rookies?) hadn't done squats since college, and that Whitner has been squatting at lower weights (and higher reps? we don't know).

This is from Stonglifts.com

Proper Squat Technique

"Squats & Knees.

“Squatting deep is bad for your knees”. That’s a myth you’ll hear a lot. Some will advise you to do Partial Squats, staying above parallel, to avoid knee injury. This is wrong info. Wrong.

Your knee joint is strongest in a fully flexed or full extended position, not the positions in-between. Partial Squats only strengthen your knees & quads, not your glutes & hamstrings. This causes muscle imbalances & thus injuries.

Millions of competitive weightlifters Squat deeper than described in this article. If you have knee pain from Squats, you’re using bad technique or you lack ankle/hip mobility. Squatting deep is never the cause.

And this concludes the debate on squat technique...now back to our regularly schedule program...

Thanks for providing the perfect example, right in the next post.

I'll definitely take advice from a guy who blew out his knees. I don't know you personally. But I do know about a million guys who will - loudly and frequently - tell you how to lift correctly. And when you ask them about the scars on their knees, you find out that they're still happily doing exactly the same stuff they blew out their knees with.

And surgeons are generally experts on surgery. Weight-lifting, not necessarily so much.

Uh I blew my knee when My foot got caught in a trig while throwing, NOT from squatting.

This is from Stonglifts.com

Proper Squat Technique

"Squats & Knees.

"Squatting deep is bad for your knees". That's a myth you'll hear a lot. Some will advise you to do Partial Squats, staying above parallel, to avoid knee injury. This is wrong info. Wrong.

Your knee joint is strongest in a fully flexed or full extended position, not the positions in-between. Partial Squats only strengthen your knees & quads, not your glutes & hamstrings. This causes muscle imbalances & thus injuries.

Millions of competitive weightlifters Squat deeper than described in this article. If you have knee pain from Squats, you're using bad technique or you lack ankle/hip mobility. Squatting deep is never the cause.

And this concludes the debate on squat technique...now back to our regularly schedule program...

THANK YOU! And BTW most Doctors or Surgeons are either skinny geeks that have never lifted a weight in their life, or are so fat they have trouble catching their breath 1/2 up a single flight of stairs. MY surgeon is an athlete, and is surgeon for several HS, College teams and did his work at Johns Hopkins. He agrees completely with the science you refrence, plus he has done it himself!

You're about the tenth guy in this thread to say that. And the article didn't say that. It said that a few guys (rookies?) hadn't done squats since college, and that Whitner has been squatting at lower weights (and higher reps? we don't know).

It does say it. It says most guys here (the Bills) haven't squatted since college. It is right there, they haven't been squatting in the BILLS lifting program. They are now and you will see a huge difference in their play esp the Lines