Whitner calls Jauron's team soft compared for Gailey ( Per Nick Me

Whitner's full comments.

Chris Brown

Posted May 27, 2010 – 3:48 pm

Tags: Donte Whitner, OTAs

With the first week of OTAs in the books, Donte Whitner and his teammates that were here last year have been indoctrinated by the new coaching staff as to how they’re going to prepare for football under Chan Gailey. According to Whitner it’s completely different from what they did in the past.

“Even if we thought we were working hard before, it’s a lot harder now,” said Whitner. ”So it’s almost like a welcome to the NFL type of thing. The weight room its totally different thing from the way we lift, the style of lifting, the things we do, the running. It’s almost going back to college knowing how hard you work and running the gassers. That’s what it’s going to take for us to win everybody in top peak shape. We’ve been in the top 3 the past couple of year in injuries. That should help us, so I think we’ll be pretty good.”

When specifically asked by a media member if the camps under the previous coaching regime were too easy Whitner was of the opinion that they were.

“I don’t want to ruffle any feathers, but I would say yes,” he said. ”I really feel like that, now looking at the way we work now and the way we worked collectively before yes, totally yes.”

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/05/27/w...t-conditioning/

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whitner's full comments.

Chris Brown

With the first week of OTAs in the books, Donte Whitner and his teammates that were here last year have been indoctrinated by the new coaching staff as to how they’re going to prepare for football under Chan Gailey. According to Whitner it’s completely different from what they did in the past.

“Even if we thought we were working hard before, it’s a lot harder now,” said Whitner. ”So it’s almost like a welcome to the NFL type of thing. The weight room its totally different thing from the way we lift, the style of lifting, the things we do, the running. It’s almost going back to college knowing how hard you work and running the gassers. That’s what it’s going to take for us to win everybody in top peak shape. We’ve been in the top 3 the past couple of year in injuries. That should help us, so I think we’ll be pretty good.”

When specifically asked by a media member if the camps under the previous coaching regime were too easy Whitner was of the opinion that they were.

“I don’t want to ruffle any feathers, but I would say yes,” he said. ”I really feel like that, now looking at the way we work now and the way we worked collectively before yes, totally yes.”

:thumbsup::w00t::D:wallbash:

This is an excellent point. You can't treat every individual or every group of people as if they are the same. You have to read the person or group and determine how they are to be treated/motivated.

Greggo was tough? Stylistically, maybe. I would say that there is a difference between acting tough and actually being tough. And I would bet that most pro athletes can tell the difference.

But while I question how tough Gregg Williams actually is, I agree with your point. For a head coach, toughness isn't everything. Rod Marinelli is unquestionably a tough guy who couldn't be a head coach. Les Steckel…lots of examples.

I understand your point. However the question put to Whitner and his response were very vague. There was no context given.

Were they talking about strength and conditioning? It seems they were, and a compelling argument can be made that the Bills under Jauron were soft and that this softness had a major impact on their ability to win football games.

So I wouldn't poo poo these comments as lacking in significance.

Greggo's Defense looked pretty tough in the playoffs this year....

This is news? Common guys the Bills had a total of 2 Two a Days at camp last year. Both were without pads. How many times did they put pads on during camp? It wasn't often. The Bills have been running OTA's throughout August for years. No wonder they are soft and get gased by the 3rd quarter.

This is news? Common guys the Bills had a total of 2 Two a Days at camp last year. Both were without pads. How many times did they put pads on during camp? It wasn't often. The Bills have been running OTA's throughout August for years. No wonder they are soft and get gased by the 3rd quarter.

Well, they didn't want anyone to get injured.

So they got in hitting shape during the regular season. :thumbsup:

don't care till we see it on the field...Greggo was tough and that didn't mean squat

Bullsh!t what about 2004 when we made the play......oh yeah, fuggin Steelers Backups. :thumbsup:

Whitner's full comments.

Chris Brown

I think the almost like going back to college is the saddest part.... he came to the nfl and this is his wakeup call because its as hard as things used to be at OSU now? wow.

People read tooo much into that. Youre right. I forget who it was, the pats or steelers who have the coziest workout rooms in the league, and theyve won multiple super bowls recently.

Sometimes i think its just that blue collar sense Buffalo fans attribute to every problem.

I think it depends on the team. I think this group needs a little butt kicking. Chan and Buddy have been around the block they will know when to back off

I'm looking at this as another indication that chan is changing the culture at OBD. Transitioning from the soft cupcake schedule, playbook, practices, and generally Teams we've has in recent memory.

This is a good thing, everybody is being forced to work harder, take accountability, and fight for their spot.

I'm looking at this as another indication that chan is changing the culture at OBD. Transitioning from the soft cupcake schedule, playbook, practices, and generally Teams we've has in recent memory.

This is a good thing, everybody is being forced to work harder, take accountability, and fight for their spot.

Lynch?

So the previous coaching staff was preventing Donte from getting into and staying in shape? They kept him from working hard?

Wow, what a first round D-B this kid is.

Well, in other industries, it's known as professional development. That is, the degree to which an individual endeavors to increase their skills and knowledge to further their career and personal growth.

As an electrician, I can voluntarily do a lot of things beyond what my employer mandates. Same with all of you and all these NFL players.

That said, some individuals will, and some won't. It's also human nature (at least in my experience) that most people will do as little as possible.

The question to me, is what percentage of NFL players do significantly more professional development than they are asked to do by their teams? I'd like to wish that all the Bills do extra work but I know that's not the case.

Another question is what degree of those people criticizing the work ethic of others, hold themselves to high standards of professionalism.

Anyways, he's not a great football player but Donte has never struck me as a lazy or irresponsible guy.

As we've gone over dozens of times, Donte has always hosted the weekly DB meetings at his house and has tried to be a leader and spokesperson for the defense. He's a go-to guy for the media and that's why reporters continue to stick microphones in his face.

Lynch?

yes he will earn his spot 3rd on the depth chart because the coaching staff will hold him accountable for not learning his playbook when the other RB have.

there are no more handouts, if lynch doesnt show up and blow them away, they will !@#$ him the best way they can: by burying him on the depth chart till his contract runs out.

Well, in other industries, it's known as professional development. That is, the degree to which an individual endeavors to increase their skills and knowledge to further their career and personal growth.

As an electrician, I can voluntarily do a lot of things beyond what my employer mandates. Same with all of you and all these NFL players.

That said, some individuals will, and some won't. It's also human nature (at least in my experience) that most people will do as little as possible.

The question to me, is what percentage of NFL players do significantly more professional development than they are asked to do by their teams? I'd like to wish that all the Bills do extra work but I know that's not the case.

Another question is what degree of those people criticizing the work ethic of others, hold themselves to high standards of professionalism.

Anyways, he's not a great football player but Donte has never struck me as a lazy or irresponsible guy.

As we've gone over dozens of times, Donte has always hosted the weekly DB meetings at his house and has tried to be a leader and spokesperson for the defense. He's a go-to guy for the media and that's why reporters continue to stick microphones in his face.

If you chose not to further your professional development through your own initiative, you don't get to comment that your employer failed you in your professional development.

This guy is a phony. Big deal--he has a few guys over the house so he can pretend he's in charge--who's buying that? He cannot back up his own unreal assessment of himself with his play on the field, so he simply puts himself out there as a team spokesman. I bet the other guys cringe when they read about the fegola twitter crap.