WC warm-up friendly

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try and get Mourinho. If anyone could win a WC with the USA, it would be him.

I wish that the powers-that-be had the balls to go after a guy like that....

I wish that the powers-that-be had the balls to go after a guy like that....

Well right now, he's going to coach Real Madrid. Says his goal is to win everywhere. So far in the last 10 years, this is his track record:

1 Champions League, 1 Europa Cup and 2 League titles with Porto (in 3 years I believe)

2 EPL's with Chelsea (in 3 years)

1 Champions League and 2 titles with Inter (in 2 years)

If he wins in Spain, he'll be the first manager that has won in all 3 leagues. Maybe after he accomplishes that, he'll want to win a WC?

Well right now, he's going to coach Real Madrid. Says his goal is to win everywhere. So far in the last 10 years, this is his track record:

1 Champions League, 1 Europa Cup and 2 League titles with Porto (in 3 years I believe)

2 EPL's with Chelsea (in 3 years)

1 Champions League and 2 titles with Inter (in 2 years)

If he wins in Spain, he'll be the first manager that has won in all 3 leagues. Maybe after he accomplishes that, he'll want to win a WC?

Wow, that's impressive as hell...I read an article about him recently where he said that he considers the Champs Leauge to be bigger than the WC in terms of the sport, so I don't know if he'd be all that interested in a national team. Could you imagine how interesting it would be to have that guy at the helm of the US team, though? We could give him an MLS team to fart around with so that he could add another league to his conquered list lol

Wow, that's impressive as hell...I read an article about him recently where he said that he considers the Champs Leauge to be bigger than the WC in terms of the sport, so I don't know if he'd be all that interested in a national team. Could you imagine how interesting it would be to have that guy at the helm of the US team, though? We could give him an MLS team to fart around with so that he could add another league to his conquered list lol

Sad to say that I agree with him.

The world cup is an "event" more than anything. The Champions League surpasses it because it is more frequent, has far superior teams and strong viewership as well.

If you look at Internazionale Milan's squad of this year, hands down it could put to shame quite a few top WC teams. It's also much more difficult to win the CL as you have to defend your league position as well. Remember that only top 4 teams in England, Italy and Spain for example can go to the CL the next year. If you sacrifice a weekend league game to try and advance in the CL, you could suffer not going to the CL next year by losing ground in the league.

He will eventually coach a WC team though. He wants to say he did it eventually even if it doesn't mean as much to him.

Even I could coach Chelsea to CL title. And by "coach," I mean sit on the sideline drinking.

And by that, I mean that I see Mourinho as a "Titles Only" kind of coach. Like Phil Jackson. I don't picture him taking on a project like team USA. I could be wrong, but I think he'd make it about 6 months, during which time all he'd do is complain publicly about the lack of talent to work with.

Even I could coach Chelsea to CL title. And by "coach," I mean sit on the sideline drinking.

And by that, I mean that I see Mourinho as a "Titles Only" kind of coach. Like Phil Jackson. I don't picture him taking on a project like team USA. I could be wrong, but I think he'd make it about 6 months, during which time all he'd do is complain publicly about the lack of talent to work with.

What about Porto? He didn't win a CL title with Chelsea by the way, he won two league titles.

And he also won the treble with Inter. First Italian team to do that. Inter hasn't won a champions league in at least 30-40 years...

What about Porto? He didn't win a CL title with Chelsea by the way, he won two league titles.

And he also won the treble with Inter. First Italian team to do that. Inter hasn't won a champions league in at least 30-40 years...

Yes, I didn't mean to question his talent. He is clearly a truly great coach.

I just wanted to point out that for somebody like that the idea of coaching team USA would not be viewed as an exciting possibility to really prove something. Instead, it would be viewed as a complete joke and a waste of time. Part of that is based on reality and part is due to the fact that the European soccer intelligentsia is reluctant to even admit that USA soccer exists.