WC warm-up friendly

Tuesday 5/25, 7:30pm ET.

It’s streaming on ESPN3.com. Of course my internet provider (Earthlink) is not supported, so maybe I’ll try to find some other stream.

I wish it was on regular ESPN. I'm really curious to see who is looking sharp for S.Africa.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s streaming on ESPN3.com. Of course my internet provider (Earthlink) is not supported, so maybe I’ll try to find some other stream.

I wish it was on regular ESPN. I'm really curious to see who is looking sharp for S.Africa.

Injury concerns for USA...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/max-bergmann...u_b_587647.html

Yes, the back line is far from set. Hopefully, we'll get lucky with at least two out the three of Onyewu, DeMerit and Bocanegra being ready to go in the middle. On the wings, I have no idea. Pearce, Spector, Bornstein...? All of these guys have flashed hot and cold in the past. Now’s the time for somebody to step up. Many of the national teams are having injury concerns. For top-level players, it’s a long grueling season of club play, cups, tournaments, plus national team duty.

I do agree that Onyewu's recovery is more important than Charlie Davies'. I think that Jozy Altidore will be the #1 striker and he will get support from Edson Buddle and from Midfielders like Donovan and Dempsey and Holden moving forward. I still like Brian Ching as a substitute too.

I really can’t wait for the WC to start. I definitely feel better about our chances this time than 4 years ago.

So it won't be on T.V then? If you find another stream let me know. Thanks

Yes, the back line is far from set. Hopefully, we'll get lucky with at least two out the three of Onyewu, DeMerit and Bocanegra being ready to go in the middle. On the wings, I have no idea. Pearce, Spector, Bornstein...? All of these guys have flashed hot and cold in the past. Now’s the time for somebody to step up. Many of the national teams are having injury concerns. For top-level players, it’s a long grueling season of club play, cups, tournaments, plus national team duty.

I do agree that Onyewu's recovery is more important than Charlie Davies'. I think that Jozy Altidore will be the #1 striker and he will get support from Edson Buddle and from Midfielders like Donovan and Dempsey and Holden moving forward. I still like Brian Ching as a substitute too.

I really can’t wait for the WC to start. I definitely feel better about our chances this time than 4 years ago.

Looks like you have an official world class defender...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oguchi_Onyewu

He plays for Milan though which I'm not sure if right now, is a good thing or a bad thing :lol:

I'm calling BS on that. :rolleyes:

Ha! Beasley looked ok tonight, but no way he gets a seat to S. Africa.

Czechs 4 - USA 2

Is that terrible? No. All our top players got a free pass tonight. It does expose our embarrassing lack of depth, however.

Here's what I hated...

Bornstein.- Outclassed. Terrible.

Onyewu – Not encouraging. If he makes the final 23, it's only for spot duty. A shame...take away the injury and he's our best defender.

E. Johnson – Nope. Still lazy and uninspiring

Meh...

Pearce – Sometimes good, sometimes awful—he probably makes this squad--he wouldn't if we had better options.

Klejstan – right on the bubble

Rogers – right on the bubble

Torres – didn't see enough to say...probably on the bubble

I liked...

Clarence Goodson – He looks ready to compete.

Ching – I love Ching. Always shows good touch. I know he's 100% MLS, but I say he contributes in the WC.

Holden – He's the next generation Donovan. Just imagine if he didn't break his ankle just a few weeks ago. He's a playmaker!

Cherundolo – He'll do. He does seem to have good chemistry with Holden on the right side. He might start.

Edu – He scored a goal and he can fill in in an emergency at center back. The bad news: His f-up led directly to the last goal.

Gomez – He scored. I'll take it, even though he's lacking in international experience.

Buddle – I see him as a quality offensive substitute.

Big question mark...

Benny Feilhaber – I didn't see any mention of him during the broadcast. I've always stuck up for him as having a potentially world class skill set, but more often than not he proves me wrong. I'm kind of hoping that Bradley held him out tonight because he's already earned his midfield spot.

Ha! Beasley looked ok tonight, but no way he gets a seat to S. Africa.

Czechs 4 - USA 2

Is that terrible? No. All our top players got a free pass tonight. It does expose our embarrassing lack of depth, however.

Here's what I hated...

Bornstein.- Outclassed. Terrible.

Onyewu – Not encouraging. If he makes the final 23, it's only for spot duty. A shame...take away the injury and he's our best defender.

E. Johnson – Nope. Still lazy and uninspiring

Meh...

Pearce – Sometimes good, sometimes awful—he probably makes this squad--he wouldn't if we had better options.

Klejstan – right on the bubble

Rogers – right on the bubble

Torres – didn't see enough to say...probably on the bubble

I liked...

Clarence Goodson – He looks ready to compete.

Ching – I love Ching. Always shows good touch. I know he's 100% MLS, but I say he contributes in the WC.

Holden – He's the next generation Donovan. Just imagine if he didn't break his ankle just a few weeks ago. He's a playmaker!

Cherundolo – He'll do. He does seem to have good chemistry with Holden on the right side. He might start.

Edu – He scored a goal and he can fill in in an emergency at center back. The bad news: His f-up led directly to the last goal.

Gomez – He scored. I'll take it, even though he's lacking in international experience.

Buddle – I see him as a quality offensive substitute.

Big question mark...

Benny Feilhaber – I didn't see any mention of him during the broadcast. I've always stuck up for him as having a potentially world class skill set, but more often than not he proves me wrong. I'm kind of hoping that Bradley held him out tonight because he's already earned his midfield spot.

nice review. Pretty spot on. We will be missing Onyewu. And our defense was awful

Guzan. Howard, Donovan, Altidore, Dempsey and a few others took the night off

That eases my worries a little then. Howard is among the elite in the world in the net, and is a field general that demands excellence of his defenders and knows how to organize them. I have studied him back when I was playing GK and he is in a class that few ever get to. He alone makes the defense enormously better.