Hanging a wall clock

Fezmid

Hey all --

I have a question about hanging things on the wall. Yeah, you'd think I would have learned this already, but everything we've put up has been relatively light weight. This time I purchased a ~10 pound clock and I want to make sure it stays up. :blush:

So I did some research and I thought I was supposed to buy something like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xit...catalogId=10053

I measured where I wanted the clock, hammered this into the drywall, screwed it in to expand the bolt behind the drywall. I was planning on unscrewing it a little bit and hanging the clock on the bolt -- but then I realized that the clock has two bumps on the back, and the hole to hang it on the wall is behind those bumps -- meaning in order to hang it, I needed to unscrew the screw from the wall roughly 1/4". Is that what I'm supposed to do? Or was there something else I should have purchased instead to hang it?

I just want to make sure it doesn't fall down and break.... :blink: Here's the clock:

You can't hang it on a stud?

Unfortunately not. I checked the wall where we want to hang the clock, and the only stud on the wall puts it too close to the corner - and the clock wouldn't be able to sit properly. :blush:

We looked to put it somewhere else so that we could hang it on a stud, but it just fits perfectly on this one wall, so..... :blink:

I think it's fine to unscrew it a little bit. We have a 40-45-pound painting that sits in the middle of a wall in our living room (no studs to hang on) and used two of the similar plastic bolts to hang it. No problems. Although, obviously, the painting was strung, and didn't have built-in hanging holes.

Hey all --

I have a question about hanging things on the wall. Yeah, you'd think I would have learned this already, but everything we've put up has been relatively light weight. This time I purchased a ~10 pound clock and I want to make sure it stays up. :devil:

So I did some research and I thought I was supposed to buy something like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xit...catalogId=10053

I measured where I wanted the clock, hammered this into the drywall, screwed it in to expand the bolt behind the drywall. I was planning on unscrewing it a little bit and hanging the clock on the bolt -- but then I realized that the clock has two bumps on the back, and the hole to hang it on the wall is behind those bumps -- meaning in order to hang it, I needed to unscrew the screw from the wall roughly 1/4". Is that what I'm supposed to do? Or was there something else I should have purchased instead to hang it?

I just want to make sure it doesn't fall down and break.... :lol: Here's the clock:

Since you had success in drilling and inserting a butterfly thing, or an expansion arrangement - don't worry. The "bumps" are called stand-offs.

You are fine - it's not going to come crashing down, if it didn't happen from the git-go.

If you "hammered" in the hanging device - thank your lucky stars that you didn't cause a crack in the drywall. :worthy:

Fez, you're fine with what you have. The body of that thingamajig will have expanded behind the drywall when you tighten it, and the collar with the points on it anchor it on the outside.

I guess I was more worried that the screw itself would break off since I had to unscrew it so much. Hopefully it'll be ok.... :worthy:

I guess I was more worried that the screw itself would break off since I had to unscrew it so much. Hopefully it'll be ok.... :worthy:

We have a bucket of those things from when my uncle worked at Ma Bell half a century ago. They can literally hold up the world. We had two holding a hanging rod in our coat closet for time out of mind and there was a good 200 pounds hanging on it. Another bedroom closet has a smaller wooden rod that I literally did a pull-up on, no problem. The screw sticking out 1/4" should not be a problem, except in force majeure situations, and then, a clock on a wall isn't your biggest concern. There's enough purchase on the screw for it to hold.

Then again, these anchor bolts were made in the USA. Can't speak for the cheap metal the Asian companies use, but I have not been impressed with too many of our recent buys. Metals are super soft, strip so much easier.

I guess I was more worried that the screw itself would break off since I had to unscrew it so much. Hopefully it'll be ok.... :P

I was going to comment on that... I noted that was your concern off the bat... You do have the bolt in enough where it "bites" the thread?

Honestly, I never liked those types of anchors... The Crown (company) you linked to.

All should be well, it is only a 1/4".

If you have a key hole mount that is built into the clock (like Nanker sugested: I was going to ask if it had a keyhole mount)... Practice playing around with the screw, getting it as close to the wall as possible and the clock should tighly slide on... Really the bolt would only be sticking out enough to cover the stand offs and the depth of the material at the keyhole mount... The the clock will fir snuggly on the wall and vibration won't jiggle it.

Oh... Nanker... I have a router bit that will do that right into the wood. Well at least for the stuff that you are able to use it on... :P

You will be fine! Just don't let children hang on it or have wild sex from it! :beer::angry: If you let that happen in reverse order, then children will surely attempt to hang from it some day!

We have a bucket of those things from when my uncle worked at Ma Bell half a century ago. They can literally hold up the world. We had two holding a hanging rod in our coat closet for time out of mind and there was a good 200 pounds hanging on it. Another bedroom closet has a smaller wooden rod that I literally did a pull-up on, no problem. The screw sticking out 1/4" should not be a problem, except in force majeure situations, and then, a clock on a wall isn't your biggest concern. There's enough purchase on the screw for it to hold.

Then again, these anchor bolts were made in the USA. Can't speak for the cheap metal the Asian companies use, but I have not been impressed with too many of our recent buys. Metals are super soft, strip so much easier.

Bingo!

When I have used them... Me being Conan the Barbarian... I always over torque and the anchor gets "sloppy"... Especially the little tabs that bite into the wall.

Too bad you couldn't hang it from a stud and lag screw Fez! Then you could have had wild sex from it! :angry::P