I was just thinking about this today.

Dr. Fong

With the exception of a little blip during the Flutie era the last time the Bills were a contending team was before the Internet was widespread. Kinda blows my mind a little bit.

And before that, except some false excitement in the ground Chuck era, the last real contenders played before the Vietnam war escalated. I know what you mean- I wanted to referance the Bills first SB in the NHL thread, and almost wrote 2001 instead of 1991. 20 years? No way.

With the exception of a little blip during the Flutie era the last time the Bills were a contending team was before the Internet was widespread. Kinda blows my mind a little bit.

Sad, isn't it?

Personally, I've used the championship futility of the Bills and Sabres to realize that glory can't be achieved vicariously. During this most recently failure of a Bills season, I said to myself "why drive myself crazy over something I can't control, when I can achieve physical triumph on my own?" I'm aiming to complete a half-marathon in 2011 and a marathon in 2012, and I know those feelings will be 10 times greater than a Superbowl win (which will be spectacular in its own right).

The sad reality is that we are still at least a year away from being on solid ground. If a true QB does not emerge this season it will be even longer.

Baltimore won the SB with Dilfer, hardly a marquis QB. They made it to the playoffs in 2008 with Flacco, who had a 60% completion ratio and threw 14 TD's to 12 Int's, also hardly a stellar QB performance. True, Baltimore's strength was their defense, but it shows a team can at least get into the playoffs without Brady/Manning/Brees.

The sad reality is that we are still at least a year away from being on solid ground. If a true QB does not emerge this season it will be even longer.

No, the sad reality is we've been saying varying versions of this statement since 2000.