So if you die in Venice, where do you get buried?

Just Jack

Not much money could buy you health wise in 1840.

Yes it could. Could buy you easier living. And it is a fact that easier living when done right can extend one's life.

Do you think if old Ralph Wilson had to carry a lunch bucket and sling a jack hammer around, he would be living into his 90's? Playing tennis and inheriting daddy's money and insurance business goes far too. Manual labor like the 1800's variety will kill one real fast!

One of the founders of the town I live in was the first buried in the church cemetery. He was in his mid 20s and fell off the roof of the church while building it.

One of the founders of the town I live in was the first buried in the church cemetery. He was in his mid 20s and fell off the roof of the church while building it.

Such accidents were probably common. I remember when my wife was down in Urbana-Champaign for grad school... We headed to Arcola, IL and the Amish community that were there one weekend... We took in a real nice Amish auction... Seems they were rasing money for a young fella that got dragged by his team while plowing... Medical expenses were high... We never seen so many buggies parked in one area! My wife asked how they could tell which one was theirs (all looked pretty much the same)... Even suggesting that maybe they just "swap" any buggy they wanted... :lol::thumbsup: I said: "I think they know which one is theirs!"

Is the picture on the gravestone an Italian thing? Many in my family did that but I'm not aware of other ethnicities.

:thumbsup: I missed this post. It might very well be a more Italian thing. The cemetary near me is nothing but Italians (Steger was were they made pianos). It is the first time I ever saw photos on a grave. Funny because there is one Irish tombstone towering over all of them with the name that can be read from afar: Kelly

No picture on Kelly.

:lol::lol: