So if you die in Venice, where do you get buried?

Just Jack

A interesting place is Colma, Ca. It is a two square mile town of 1,600 just south of San Francisco with an underground population of over 1.5 million. In 1900, SF banned any new cemeteries. In 1912, when rebuilding after the quake, they started digging up the graves there and moving them to Colma. Today in SF are only three cemeteries left, the military cemetery at the Presidio, at Mission Delores, and the Columbarium (cremated remains-above ground).

Colma has 18 cemeteries. Some of the famous people buried there are William Randolph Hearst, Wyatt Earp, and Joe DiMaggio. The motto of the town is; "It's Great to be Alive in Colma."

I find the whole notion of burials and plots to be an oddly interesting practice. Most people will be lucky if more than two, maybe three generations that follow them will really care about where their remains are. I don't mean to sound negative about the practic. For some families and individuals this is a very significant issue perhaps tied to religious beliefs or personal preference.

I like what my grandmother wanted - no grave - no marker. She asked to be cremated and her ashes to be released upriver from the falls so she could "go over." Pretty simple way to have it end.

I find the whole notion of burials and plots to be an oddly interesting practice. Most people will be lucky if more than two, maybe three generations that follow them will really care about where their remains are. I don't mean to sound negative about the practic. For some families and individuals this is a very significant issue perhaps tied to religious beliefs or personal preference.

I like what my grandmother wanted - no grave - no marker. She asked to be cremated and her ashes to be released upriver from the falls so she could "go over." Pretty simple way to have it end.

Yeah. Much different today than in the past. My grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles, are all buried in the same cemetary. But my generation has moved away to parts far and wide.

I'm going to be cremated. Think I'll have my ashes dumped over the Ralph. It'll be my time to haunt them!

Is the picture on the gravestone an Italian thing? Many in my family did that but I'm not aware of other ethnicities.

I'm not sure what I want, it's in our trust I just don't remember. I love cemetaries though. I usually visit the few near where I grew up when I'm back in WNY. There are several Civil War vets in the cemetary in my home town and I've found at least one Revolutionary War vet there. I grew up near Attica and they have a cemetary near the prison where inmates that died in the prison are burried. My wife and I got chased out of there once. Damn if we can't be there put a damn fence around it. :beer:

Yeah. Much different today than in the past. My grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles, are all buried in the same cemetary. But my generation has moved away to parts far and wide.

I'm going to be cremated. Think I'll have my ashes dumped over the Ralph. It'll be my time to haunt them!

Is the picture on the gravestone an Italian thing? Many in my family did that but I'm not aware of other ethnicities.

It's not an ethnic thing, it's a good looks thing. Looks like you won't be able to carry on the tradition.

:wallbash:

:beer:

you're just pissed because of the rubber lined pants comment

Why would I be pissed about something that allows me to sit at a bar and drink myself silly without having to get up to use the restroom. Pissing cuts into my drinking time.

Stopped and checked out a cemetery last time I was in WNY out in the farm country. The oldest markers where in the front[1700s] nearest the road and got newer as you went back. The ones at the very end had a DOB but no date of death. Apparently people are buying and placing markers in advance of the big day. Must be weird to to go out and look at your own grave.

Stopped and checked out a cemetery last time I was in WNY out in the farm country. The oldest markers where in the front[1700s] nearest the road and got newer as you went back. The ones at the very end had a DOB but no date of death. Apparently people are buying and placing markers in advance of the big day. Must be weird to to go out and look at your own grave.

In Illinois you can have actual pictures of the people on the graves. Open up a little door and see the picture or rendering of their likeness while alive.

There is a cemetary an couple 100 yars from my home... It is pretty fascinating... And creepy too... Dating back to around the turn of the 20th century... Go further in to the fields and and there are graves that date back to Civil War days... I am not sure why they haven't been assimilated into the main cementary. ??

In Illinois you can have actual pictures of the people on the graves. Open up a little door and see the picture or rendering of their likeness while alive.

There is a cemetary an couple 100 yars from my home... It is pretty fascinating... And creepy too... Dating back to around the turn of the 20th century... Go further in to the fields and and there are graves that date back to Civil War days... I am not sure why they haven't been assimilated into the main cementary. ??

What I found interesting about the older graves was how long people lived the 1800s. 80s-90s were common. You would think in those pre vaccine,pre antibiotic days they would die young. Natural foods?

What I found interesting about the older graves was how long people lived the 1800s. 80s-90s were common. You would think in those pre vaccine,pre antibiotic days they would die young. Natural foods?

True... But the people you see probably had money... Most poor people that died young probably are not marked now... Or either buried on their own farm. What you are probably seeing and what is showing is the priviledged.

No?