Help me understand something...

I see ESPN and others saying we suck because our O line was green last year and we didn't address it in the draft....so our "green" line, including 2 very solid starters in Levitre and Wood, got experience last year...including Bell who may turn out pretty decent with a real offensive scheme and coaching, would get less "green" by drafting/reaching for linemen who have never played a down in the NFL?...it's not like there was a FA run on stud linemaen this year either.....

I feel we are going to surprise some folks this year...it'll be amazing what some consistancy in the scheme/coaching can do....

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see ESPN and others saying we suck because our O line was green last year and we didn't address it in the draft....so our "green" line, including 2 very solid starters in Levitre and Wood, got experience last year...including Bell who may turn out pretty decent with a real offensive scheme and coaching, would get less "green" by drafting/reaching for linemen who have never played a down in the NFL?...it's not like there was a FA run on stud linemaen this year either.....

I feel we are going to surprise some folks this year...it'll be amazing what some consistancy in the scheme/coaching can do....

The only thing I saw out of Bell last year was why he was considered a "project". He still has a way to go.

I'd have a little more hope for Bell if he wasn't injured - but one of the things he lacked was a NFL level of strength and with an injured knee I doubt he's been doing the type of lifting needed to correct that lack of strength.

Bell looks the part in his pads but when the whistle blows he plays soft. Like the chick with the hot bod seen at a distance, he looks good from far but is far from good. The Bills front office has had two drafts to bring in a LT, the most important position on the O-line. The position remains a glaring need. What gives?

I lost a lot of respect yesterday for John Clayton. Not because he bashed the Bills' offseason, though. But because it's absolutely asinine to try and "grade" an offseason (a) when it's still offseason and (b) before any draftees/FAs have a chance to prove whether or not they're going to be positive contributors. It's the easy/popular thing to do ... "predict" that the Rams and Bills will suck. Wooo ... going out on a huge limb there, guys.

And I agree with you .. I think this team is capable of some surprises. This year's Bills will be better than last year's Bills; and that doesn't necessarily translate into a better record. They'll be a better team. And Clayton will be the first one to "report" how they've improved.

Bell looks the part in his pads but when the whistle blows he plays soft. Like the chick with the hot bod seen at a distance, he looks good from far but is far from good. The Bills front office has had two drafts to bring in a LT, the most important position on the O-line. The position remains a glaring need. What gives?

I don't know if it's because he plays soft as much as he doesn't have NFL strength and technique - maybe with a new strength and conditioning coach progress can be made, I was disappointed with Bells progress in gaining strength and weight last year, without PEDs you need an intelligent strength program combined with serous dedication to gain appropriate strength levels to play effectively in the NFL.

Funny how so many in the media say how bad Buffalo is going to be this year, yet, if we went and signed a veteran LT from either Baltimore or New Orleans, I'd bet you'd hear how we might have a real good rushing attach this year, how we could "surprise" some people. We need better play from that position, and I'd like to see Gaither signed, but I'd be surprised if our line was terrible this year either way - I think Gailey will have it playing solid. And I also thing we're being way underestimated - if we'd of hired Cowher and he made all the same moves, people would be saying "you can never count out the Bills now that Cowher is up there".

It's because national guys have to spend time watching 32 teams, and frankly they only gloss over the Bills. The go with the conventional wisdom..."no players I heard of, they must suck."

If you are an old timer and remember the '88 Bills all the experts predicted we were going to dead last and we went to the AFC championship. Why did they say that? Because our team had a no-name GM (Polian), a no-name coach (Levy) and a roster full of small-college players like Andre Reed. These Bills remind me of 1988, except we don't have an established QB yet. It all depends on Nix right now. Does the old coot know prime football beef?

PTR

Clayton's analysis was inane on several levels.

I'd have a little more hope for Bell if he wasn't injured - but one of the things he lacked was a NFL level of strength and with an injured knee I doubt he's been doing the type of lifting needed to correct that lack of strength.

Plus i thought i read some where that his over all arm length wasn't but 33 or 33 1/2 " which isn't that considered short for a left tackle ? I think we can do better hopefully in FA before the start of the season !!

OK as much as I hated the Bills (So far keep in mind a deal for Gaither or anyone else could still be in the works) not addressing the LT situation this off-season I think that our O-line is going to be better simply by getting Wood and Levitre more experience and have Handy playing with Levitre for a full season and Wood for 11 games. Also the addition of Green at RT is better then any RT last season (Butler played for less then 2 games and Scott sucked and Meridth was very inexperienced).

Our line with Green and the added playing together of Levitre-Handy-Wood is better and less Greene then they were last season. Although I would still like to see a more experienced LT even Bell is going to be better then he was last season with another NFL season under his belt and some starts.

I lost a lot of respect yesterday for John Clayton. Not because he bashed the Bills' offseason, though. But because it's absolutely asinine to try and "grade" an offseason (a) when it's still offseason and (b) before any draftees/FAs have a chance to prove whether or not they're going to be positive contributors. It's the easy/popular thing to do ... "predict" that the Rams and Bills will suck. Wooo ... going out on a huge limb there, guys.

And I agree with you .. I think this team is capable of some surprises. This year's Bills will be better than last year's Bills; and that doesn't necessarily translate into a better record. They'll be a better team. And Clayton will be the first one to "report" how they've improved.

And when he does that , that is when all of the Bills faithful need to over run his mail boxes with the questions of why are you changing your stance on the Bills and make him admit in print that he is like all the rest just guessing how the year will turn out . It's just that he has more experience at guessing than others !!

The only thing I saw out of Bell last year was why he was considered a "project". He still has a way to go.

The entire line has a way to go...NOBODY on that line played very well last season and the Bills can only hope that everyone improves on the line with less injuries and some continuity.

Everyone is thinking oh these guys will be really good very soon.... nobody knows that for certain, even the coaches don't know that for certain. Going into the season with so many young inexperienced players is a huge gamble.

It's because national guys have to spend time watching 32 teams, and frankly they only gloss over the Bills. The go with the conventional wisdom..."no players I heard of, they must suck."

If you are an old timer and remember the '88 Bills all the experts predicted we were going to dead last and we went to the AFC championship. Why did they say that? Because our team had a no-name GM (Polian), a no-name coach (Levy) and a roster full of small-college players like Andre Reed. These Bills remind me of 1988, except we don't have an established QB yet. It all depends on Nix right now. Does the old coot know prime football beef?

PTR

I dunno about dead last, the Bills had Jim Kelly...

They also had a #1 pick for the O line in Jim Richter, then top linemen in Will Wolford and Kent Hull from the USFL, Andre Reed, Bruce Smith, Fred Smerlas, Shane Conlon and had made that blockbuster trade with the Colts-Rams to secure Cornelius Bennent in 07 around Halloween.

Pretty much every Bills fan knew the Bills would be much improved in 88, I know I did as that's the year I started buying season tickets :P

The entire line has a way to go...NOBODY on that line played very well last season and the Bills can only hope that everyone improves on the line with less injuries and some continuity.

Everyone is thinking oh these guys will be really good very soon.... nobody knows that for certain, even the coaches don't know that for certain. Going into the season with so many young inexperienced players is a huge gamble.

Levitre played really well in pass protection and decent in the run game. Wood was solid (But not spectacular) in both aspects. Both were rookies on a bad offensive team by getting experience and playing in a better system and having more familiarity with their center they will turn up aces for the team (Assuming Wood comes back healthy).

Handy and Green are what they are average pro-lineman but they both have experience which should help the two guards develop. LT is a huge concern unless we make a trade for Gaither.

We have the makings of a solid Oline but it will take another year or two for them to gel. In the mean time we will see glimpses of their potential. The new regime is building a team and the growing pains shouldn't be terrible as Gailey and company should work to our strengths. If you want the Bills to be great immediately, you are probably not going to get your wish. We can return to prominence but not over night. With our small market status, old owner who lives in a different era, and the dearth of talent we currently employ, we are going to have to have a bit of a perfect storm to win the big one. We should be better and competive and that is a start. But I say to the experts take a leap.......

I like your point, instead of simply knocking the offseason give examples of what should have been done. Truth is there were no viable options at OT in free agency this offseason and their draft pick at #9 offered questionable character in Anthony Davis and questionable talent in Bulaga.