(OT) Anti-Virus software

Frez

The best antivirus in the world is Kaspersky Antivirus. Eugene Kaspersky is widely respected and acknowledge in both the virus and antivirus community as being the best out there.

Norton antivirus is my personal favorite. The only time it has ever had any major problem was when the CIH virus came out. It's pretty reliable, but can be a resource hog. They have one of the best antivirus researchers in world with Peter Szor working for them. http://peterszor.com/ And for those who wonder, Peter Norton hasn't had anything to do with that antivirus since the DOS days.

McAfee was in real trouble but paid a 3rd party vendor big bucks for the Olympus search engine. Now they are always getting the VB 100% award. FYI John McAfee is no longer with the company and runs his own ISP in Colorado now.

If you want to run a viral zoo I would recommend getting F-Prot. It is the best antivirus out there that will tell you what exact virus you have. (ex LoveLetter Q) Instead of giving you a generic name that most AV programs do.

I have a copy of PC Chillen and have no complaints with it. They don't have any big names in the antivirus field working for them. Well except David Perry who is the company spokesman. If you ever go to any security conferences, chances are you will run into him there.

I have Norton Internet Security 2002. Its OK I guess - I think the subscription is a little too expensive... It is a bit of a hog on resources too - but I've not had a virus get thru since I had it. If there is a similar product that uses less resource I'd be ineterested...

I just upgraded my RDRAM to 640MB so I am sitting pretty for memory. I think I need to get extra hard drive storage and partition my drives to get the best performance out of my machine though.

The best antivirus in the world is Kaspersky Antivirus.  Eugene Kaspersky is widely respected and acknowledge in both the virus and antivirus community as being the best out there. 

Norton antivirus is my personal favorite.  The only time it has ever had any major problem was when the CIH virus came out.  It's pretty reliable, but can be a resource hog.  They have one of the best antivirus researchers in world with Peter Szor working for them.  http://peterszor.com/  And for those who wonder, Peter Norton hasn't had anything to do with that antivirus since the DOS days. 

McAfee was in real trouble but paid a 3rd party vendor big bucks for the Olympus search engine.  Now they are always getting the VB 100% award.  FYI John McAfee is no longer with the company and runs his own ISP in Colorado now.

If you want to run a viral zoo I would recommend getting F-Prot.  It is the best antivirus out there that will tell you what exact virus you have.  (ex LoveLetter Q)  Instead of giving you a generic name that most AV programs do.

I have a copy of PC Chillen and have no complaints with it.  They don't have any big names in the antivirus field working for them.  Well except David Perry who is the company spokesman.  If you ever go to any security conferences, chances are you will run into him there.

140443[/snapback]

I agree. I use F-prot as my primary protection, but if I really want to make sure something is safe, I scan it with Kaspersky.