Nobody Circles the Drain...

buckeyemike

I am so glad that I'm a Bills fan tonight.

After all of the wall-to-wall coverage regarding the resignation/firing/who-gives-a-crap-he's-gone of Butch Davis, I'm ready for good news and stimulating conversation, since the Bills have won five of their last seven and McGahee is emerging as a bona-fide star.

People in Cleveland love the Browns, as is well known around the country. When even Carmella DeCesare (Jeff Garcia's girlfriend and the Playboy Playmate of the Year) has a significant role on one of the local pre-game shows, you know people are either dying for inside info, have absolutely nothing better to do, or are trying to get a glimpse of Carmella...well, you know (and yes, it's the same station where that anchorwoman took all her clothes off for that group photo shoot in Cleveland some months back).

There were a LOT of people in Cleveland in a bad mood today. Many thought Butch was the answer four years ago (I was one of them). I can't help feeling that Butch Davis quit on his team, with five games to go, solely to return to the college game. He will be at Florida in a few weeks.

The only thing of note here: Terry Robiske was named the interim head coach. He is the first black head coach in Cleveland Browns history.

Mike

I am so glad that I'm a Bills fan tonight.

After all of the wall-to-wall coverage regarding the resignation/firing/who-gives-a-crap-he's-gone of Butch Davis, I'm ready for good news and stimulating conversation, since the Bills have won five of their last seven and McGahee is emerging as a bona-fide star. 

People in Cleveland love the Browns, as is well known around the country.  When even Carmella DeCesare (Jeff Garcia's girlfriend and the Playboy Playmate of the Year) has a significant role on one of the local pre-game shows, you know people are either dying for inside info, have absolutely nothing better to do, or are trying to get a glimpse of Carmella...well, you know (and yes, it's the same station where that anchorwoman took all her clothes off for that group photo shoot in Cleveland some months back).

There were a LOT of people in Cleveland in a bad mood today.  Many thought Butch was the answer four years ago (I was one of them).  I can't help feeling that Butch Davis quit on his team, with five games to go, solely to return to the college game.  He will be at Florida in a few weeks.

The only thing of note here:  Terry Robiske was named the interim head coach.  He is the first black head coach in Cleveland Browns history.

Mike

140398[/snapback]

Well, I think that I speak for everbody here when I say that we are glad that you chose to support the Buffalo Bills and post on TBD.

I lived in Queens for 34 years. I too know how it feels to be abandoned by a football team.

The NFL must be glad they gave Cleveland its franchise back..... <_<

140407[/snapback]

Well, the Browns are making a LOT of money...46 consecutive sellouts dating to 1999. The business end is healthy, but Randy Lerner realizes that the sellouts aren't going to last without winning. I think he'll right the ship and get the right people in place for a Super Bowl run, but that's going to take a few years.

Believe me, the Bills are catching the Browns at the right time. Only eleven and a half more days until the day I've waited several years for.

Mike

Well, I think that I speak for everbody here when I say that we are glad that you chose to support the Buffalo Bills and post on TBD.

I lived in Queens for 34 years. I too know how it feels to be abandoned by a football team.

140413[/snapback]

Thanks for the compliment. It just seems like I don't care about the Browns anymore. Apathy has set in.

And considering how big a fan I was as recently as 1993, that's something I thought would never happen.

BTW, Len Pasquarelli of ESPN.com has written a very good article about Davis, his power grabs, and how Randy Lerner hopes to build the Browns.

Why one-man football operations don't work.

After I thought about this some more...did Mike Shanahan win his Super Bowls with the Broncos as a one-man show, controlling everything?

He's the only one I can think of. All successful NFL teams seem to have power divested...between the head coach, GM and/or vice president/player personnel director.

Mike

After I thought about this some more...did Mike Shanahan win his Super Bowls with the Broncos as a one-man show, controlling everything?

He's the only one I can think of.  All successful NFL teams seem to have power divested...between the head coach, GM and/or vice president/player personnel director.

Mike

140629[/snapback]

Two Words:

Jimmy Johnson

He was the prototype for this one man show thingy that's taken hold of the NFL.

Unfortunately for us as Bills fans, he was the beneficiary of a ridiculous trade that brought him success. Without Herschel Walker, there's no way Johnson wins a SB in Dalla$$ and there's no way this coach/GM mania spreads throughout the league.

He's the only one I can think of.  All successful NFL teams seem to have power divested...between the head coach, GM and/or vice president/player personnel director.

Mike

140629[/snapback]

Good thread title!

It's a shame about the Browns. They have a great following. Before the inception of the AFL, they were a well-liked club in the Buffalo area, dating back to the All American conference days (Buffalo had a team - the Bisons, renamed the Bills).

http://www.worldhistory.com/wiki/A/All-Ame...-Conference.htm

IIRC, Davis was the proponent of insisting that players sign 4 and 5 year contracts, which did not sit well with the players. And I was dismayed at his treatment of Northcutt - some don't like him, but he's a hard worker that most any club would find a spot for.

Sure did.  Did you click the link about the old AAC league? Now, I'm old, but I didn't know that the "Bills" name dated back to the '40's.

141666[/snapback]

Correct. According to the Bills media guide, the team had several options for names other than "Bisons", which of course were the names of Buffalo's baseball and hockey teams.

Other choices included: Blue Devils, Bandits, and Nickels.

A "name the team" contest was had, and Bills was chosen. This, I believe, was at the end of the 1946 season.

The Browns, of course, are named after Paul Brown, although he always denied it and said the team was named after heavyweight champion Joe Louis, aka "The Brown Bomber".

Mike

"Along the shores of Lake Erie, where the locals characteristically employ the term youse and not y'all as the grammatical second person pronoun, the hybrid Oklahoma-Texas drawl of Butch Davis never really played all that well." I think that "youse" is more of a New York City thing than a Lake Erie thing. The people I know all use the word "you."

When I looked at the picture of Butch Davis stalking off the field, his appearance reminded me of the last Cleveland coach to be fired.

"Along the shores of Lake Erie, where the locals characteristically employ the term youse and not y'all as the grammatical second person pronoun, the hybrid Oklahoma-Texas drawl of Butch Davis never really played all that well." I think that "youse" is more of a New York City thing than a Lake Erie thing. The people I know all use the word "you."

When I looked at the picture of Butch Davis stalking off the field, his appearance reminded me of the last Cleveland coach to be fired.

142031[/snapback]

Youse are right. :P

I've heard one person from Cleveland use "youse"...a friend of mine's mother...in the 30 years I've lived here. We talk like Midwesterners...using "you".

Mike