What is your property tax rate?

Ok I got a tax bill today on rental property [4 units Not commercial] appraised by the city at $280,000. They want $4200 on it it. I pay $100 a month for water and sewer, $100 a month for trash pickup. So what am I paying $4200 for? The only service I get from the city is they plow the road 3x a year. Oh and send someone else's brat to school. Yes I am plenty ticked off.

As you pointed out, it is easy to manipulate because the assessment is very arbitrary and they also have the option to move the mill rate. What you are getting is generally schools, police/fire and hwgh dept services (plow and repave). And of course funding the local gov't; which can actually be a functioning and frugal entity when you see it in action on a small town basis.

I pay between 1% - 1.25% of my home value.

I pay over $4200 (I'm guessing close to $4500) for School & Property on a house assessed at $185k. No garbage - it's privately contracted, no sewer - septic; my water bill is less than $100/yr.

I ♥ NY.

I pay over $4200 (I'm guessing close to $4500) for School & Property on a house assessed at $185k. No garbage - it's privately contracted, no sewer - septic; my water bill is less than $100/yr.I ♥ NY.

Sounds like I am being ripped of on my water/sewer bill. For the the first time in my life I am going to make a stink at a Anchorage Assembly meeting.

My distribution (townhome appraised at $302k). My big takeaway - libraries ain't free:

Distribution Information Dollars Percent *

State $671.20 20.9%

Local School $846.96 26.3%

County $388.07 12.1%

City $732.88 22.8%

Road $0.00 0.0%

Port $65.22 2.0%

Ferry $1.05 0.0%

Fire $0.00 0.0%

Hospital $138.84 4.3%

Flood $31.75 1.0%

Library $146.55 4.6%

EMS $90.60 2.8%

Other $0.00 0.0%

Fees & Charges $102.76 3.2%

My distribution (townhome appraised at $302k). My big takeaway - libraries ain't free:

Distribution Information Dollars Percent *

State $671.20 20.9%

Local School $846.96 26.3%

County $388.07 12.1%

City $732.88 22.8%

Road $0.00 0.0%

Port $65.22 2.0%

Ferry $1.05 0.0%

Fire $0.00 0.0%

Hospital $138.84 4.3%

Flood $31.75 1.0%

Library $146.55 4.6%

EMS $90.60 2.8%

Other $0.00 0.0%

Fees & Charges $102.76 3.2%

I wish I could get a break down like that. But of course Mayors worthless relatives on city payroll would top the chart.

So true. You think you are getting ripped off but you also get oil royalties that the rest of us don't get.

Here in NH, there is no sales or income taxes so you get hosed on property taxes and fees like car registrations. I don't know my rate but our house is valued at $300K and I pay just over $6K a year. Registering a new car is about $500. Oh, since NH is a big tourism state they do charge 8% on hotels and restaurant meals too.

PTR

So true. You think you are getting ripped off but you also get oil royalties that the rest of us don't get.

Here in NH, there is no sales or income taxes so you get hosed on property taxes and fees like car registrations. I don't know my rate but our house is valued at $300K and I pay just over $6K a year. Registering a new car is about $500. Oh, since NH is a big tourism state they do charge 8% on hotels and restaurant meals too.

PTR

Maybe thats because NH has no oil? What a statement. I pay property tax's to the municipally of Anchorage- the state [who get's the oil royalties] has nothing to do with it. And yes I am ticked off.

Maybe thats because NH has no oil? What a statement. I pay property tax's to the municipally of Anchorage- the state [who get's the oil royalties] has nothing to do with it. And yes I am ticked off.

Why are you ticked off? The purpose of your post was to rub things into other folk's faces.

You have no corn. We in OH do, but we don't get welfare corn checks.

Why are you ticked off? The purpose of your post was to rub things into other folk's faces.

You have no corn. We in OH do, but we don't get welfare corn checks.

Ah here come the idiots who call the Alaska permanent fund welfare. I expected nozzle nuts to be the first. I am not going to explain it to you, do some research on your own.

Ok I got a tax bill today on rental property [4 units Not commercial] appraised by the city at $280,000. They want $4200 on it it. I pay $100 a month for water and sewer, $100 a month for trash pickup. So what am I paying $4200 for? The only service I get from the city is they plow the road 3x a year. Oh and send someone else's brat to school. Yes I am plenty ticked off.

Geezus, don't any of you guys live in Erie County? My house is worth about $110,000, assessed at $48,000, and I pay taxes of $3600 per year. They are BLEEDING us.

Your comment about services, I agree. Plowing and garbage, I have never needed the cops so it is a waste to me.

In Arkansas they should get rice chex.

(No I didn't know Arkansas was the biggest rice producer in the US, I had to look it up.)

No pork for Alaska. Most of our corn crop is feed for hogs. As well as a fair portion used for the ethanol fuel scam.