Stolen Valor: CT Senate candidate Richard Blumenthal's

NYT story link

“We have learned something important since the days that I served in Vietnam,” Mr. Blumenthal said to the group gathered in Norwalk in March 2008. “And you exemplify it. Whatever we think about the war, whatever we call it — Afghanistan or Iraq — we owe our military men and women unconditional support.”

There was one problem: Mr. Blumenthal, a Democrat now running for the United States Senate, never served in Vietnam. He obtained at least five military deferments from 1965 to 1970 and took repeated steps that enabled him to avoid going to war, according to records.

But what is striking about Mr. Blumenthal’s record is the contrast between the many steps he took that allowed him to avoid Vietnam, and the misleading way he often speaks about that period of his life now, especially when he is speaking at veterans’ ceremonies or other patriotic events.

Sometimes his remarks have been plainly untrue, as in his speech to the group in Norwalk. At other times, he has used more ambiguous language, but the impression left on audiences can be similar.

In an interview on Monday, the attorney general said that he had misspoken about his service during the Norwalk event and might have misspoken on other occasions. “My intention has always been to be completely clear and accurate and straightforward, out of respect to the veterans who served in Vietnam,” he said.

I have an uncle who was among a handful of guys 1/2 mile from the DMZ (with pictures to prove it) when Tet came down. "Eight divisions of Charlie half a click away, headed for your 20!" was the last call he heard on his radio there. How he got out, Lord knows. He gets royally, royally pissed when people brag about service they didn't perform. Mr. Blumenthal is a very intelligent man. No excuse for lying and misrepresenting with some of the statements he's made over the years that made it seem like he went to Vietnam. Not cool, Dick. Not cool.

Mr. Blumenthal has survived for 30 years in state politics making these statements. Now running for higher office, it looks like his words are catching up to him. His poll numbers were initially strong against any Republican in the field, which includes Rob Simmons, a former U.S. Congressman from eastern CT and a highly decorated Vietnam vet. Wonder how this will affect the race....

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps the Democrat in Chief can bestow the Distinguished Service medal on him for his valorous service to his country during the VietNam era. He's as deserving of that as President BO was of the affirmative action Nobel Peace Prize he was given. That should settle the issue.

Wow! That's shocking.... He had that state on lock, and now I would have to say that this is a game changer. What he did is absolutely indefensible, he admits that he "mispoke" (lied), on various occasions. That's not a slip of the tongue, not when you do it on numerous accounts, and this speaks of his character, that he is a liar. I don't see how any reasonable thinking independent could vote for him, and I would have to imagine some principle minded democrats won't turn out to vote. I will be very interested to see the new polls.

NYT story link

I have an uncle who was among a handful of guys 1/2 mile from the DMZ (with pictures to prove it) when Tet came down. "Eight divisions of Charlie half a click away, headed for your 20!" was the last call he heard on his radio there. How he got out, Lord knows. He gets royally, royally pissed when people brag about service they didn't perform. Mr. Blumenthal is a very intelligent man. No excuse for lying and misrepresenting with some of the statements he's made over the years that made it seem like he went to Vietnam. Not cool, Dick. Not cool.

Mr. Blumenthal has survived for 30 years in state politics making these statements. Now running for higher office, it looks like his words are catching up to him. His poll numbers were initially strong against any Republican in the field, which includes Rob Simmons, a former U.S. Congressman from eastern CT and a highly decorated Vietnam vet. Wonder how this will affect the race....

Boy, it sure would be nice to avoid cementing this guy into the Senate; if he gets in, it'll be 20+ years before he leaves.

Wow! That's shocking.... He had that state on lock, and now I would have to say that this is a game changer. What he did is absolutely indefensible, he admits that he "mispoke" (lied), on various occasions. That's not a slip of the tongue, not when you do it on numerous accounts, and this speaks of his character, that he is a liar. I don't see how any reasonable thinking independent could vote for him, and I would have to imagine some principle minded democrats won't turn out to vote. I will be very interested to see the new polls.

I was reading this morning that one of his competitors in the race, Rob Simmons, actually did fight in Vietnam for almost two years, and was a two-time Bronze Star Medal recipient.

This sounds like a great time for a Rob Simmons MoneyBomb! :bag:

If it's BS, it's BS. There is no gray here.

You're still buying that BS Swift Boat smear campaign on Kerry, unbelievable. :bag: Yeah, he didn't respond forcefully enough to the liars and let them form the narrative, but in the end it was a sad chapter in dirty politics where the liars profited from their lies.

Parts of that sound very familiar. He should run for President.

Except that Bush II never claimed that he went to Nam. He was in the Texas ANG, and even if some people deride the location, etc. of where he did it (BTW, your post makes it sound almost like Dan Rather never offered a retraction and retired/was fired by CBS for reporting with such flimsy evidence), Mr. Bush completed his service. He didn't make it out to be something it wasn't.

Hey, if someone's service comprised of saying "GOOOD MORNIN' VIETNAM!!!" on a radio station and they never saw action, then they should freely admit this to any and all. No shame in that, a lot of people didn't see action and were nonetheless important and played their own small part. I guess it's only/mostly people who have actually served in the military who consider this to be a gross fraud, "stolen valor" is something that you just don't do b/c it cheapens the sacrifices other people made to claim credit for things you never did.

Parts of that sound very familiar. He should run for President.

I was going to post simply that you're an idiot (which you are) but as soon as I read the OP I knew some idiot was going to bring this up. Not surprised it was you. :bag:

Awesome! I did say parts. I certainly didn't mean to denigrate W or his exemplary "military service".

No need to get your panties in a bunch, ladies. :bag:

Well, does it really matter? That whole post is a red herring designed to divert attention and turn this into a 'They do it too!' saga.

This thread is about Dick Blumenthal, and his trying to build a political reputation by standing on top of honorable soldiers' gravestones.

There is a presser called for 2 p.m., at which Mr. Blumenthal will try to defend his actions. I've always wondered at people who try to defend the indefensible. He should do the graceful thing and bow out. Any general campaign will now be about his lying. And if his opponent is Mr. Simmons, you can just imagine his staff salivating over this; but he seems to be taking the high road (note that the high road doesn't include not being angered or upset), which as a citizen of his former district, I would expect from him.

Well, does it really matter? That whole post is a red herring designed to divert attention and turn this into a 'They do it too!' saga.

This thread is about Dick Blumenthal, and his trying to build a political reputation by standing on top of honorable soldiers' gravestones.

It was a nothing comment and most people here are smart enough to see it for what it is. Get a grip.

Except that Bush II never claimed that he went to Nam. He was in the Texas ANG, and even if some people deride the location, etc. of where he did it (BTW, your post makes it sound almost like Dan Rather never offered a retraction and retired/was fired by CBS for reporting with such flimsy evidence), Mr. Bush completed his service. He didn't make it out to be something it wasn't.

Hey, if someone's service comprised of saying "GOOOD MORNIN' VIETNAM!!!" on a radio station and they never saw action, then they should freely admit this to any and all. No shame in that, a lot of people didn't see action and were nonetheless important and played their own small part. I guess it's only/mostly people who have actually served in the military who consider this to be a gross fraud, "stolen valor" is something that you just don't do b/c it cheapens the sacrifices other people made to claim credit for things you never did.

Poor CBS, they can't ever seem to get this news stuff right can they. They were silent on the matter this morning...

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/scott-whitloc...scandal-nbc-avo

Make **** up for the republican, bury their head in the sand for an honest to goodness lying scumbag democrat.

You think a politician lying that he fought in a war is "a nothing comment?"

Yikes.

I thought he was referring to his own post as "nothing comment," but I could be wrong. Either way Blumenthal is a grade A moron. It's remarkable he hasn't been caught in this lie until now.