Despite the big mouth....Whats your real opinion?

Pitta

Somehow Byrd managed to be a very good player in that "lousy" system. Wilson had a nice year as well. In fact, the secondary was 2nd in the NFL in pass defense and 2nd in the NFL in opponents QB rating. Thats 2nd only to the Jets. So while Lil Donte lovers want to make excuses for him, the secondary was very good despite a lack of pass rush and a "lousy" system.

Soooooo..yeah......

So people who don't join in the mob mentality that feels to need to crush Whitner are Lil Donte lovers? That's mature.

Whitner was shining in that system too until he got hurt. Wilson played well but why do you have to put DW down? Both are good safties. And our run defense was much worse without DW.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So people who don't join in the mob mentality that feels to need to crush Whitner are Lil Donte lovers? That's mature.

Whitner was shining in that system too until he got hurt. Wilson played well but why do you have to put DW down? Both are good safties. And our run defense was much worse without DW.

mature.......from you!!!!!!!! :bag:

Let me get this straight. He was "shining" through 2 weeks!?!? Byron Leftwhich would make YOU shine at safety! The dude has been average and unremarkable throughout his career here in Buffalo but he puts together 2 nice weeks and he's now shining?.....unreal.

He is a good role player off of the bench. He's a jack of all trades and a master of none. He is average so get over it.

Whitner is somewhat responsible for the Patriots not going 19-0... Hear me on this one.

-Buffalo vs. New York Giants last game of the year 2 years ago he runs into the punter, which leads to the Giants taking the lead and eventually winning.

-If the Giants don't win that game, they don't make the playoffs.

-Giants run the table in the playoffs and beat the Patriots

'Nuff said

I hate when people say 'Nuff said. It's like your point was SOOO good, there's nothing left to say. Whitner isn't nearly as bad as the point you're trying to make. You hang a guy's assessment on a play 2 years ago in a 'run for the bus' game.

Christ!

How about this-

#1 - Whitner is versatile - He can match up against 90% of WRs/TEs and RBs in the passing game:

#2 - He is uber experienced behind some of the worst defensive lines in recent memory; and

#3 - He plays with passion

you're right, but i'm really replying bc i'm diggin the new avatar. prince paul is a genius.

Personally, Donte hasn't lived up to the 8th overall pick.

But he has been a great attitude/great teammate guy. From the beginning he tried to take a position of responsibility with the team, having the DBs over to his house for weekly film review sessions, etc.

I think Donte has worked very hard and tries to exemplify professionalism (his one incident in an Ohio bar, notwithstanding).

If Whitner never lives up to his lofty draft status, it won't be because he didn't make very effort to.

It will be because the Bills made a mistake drafting him so high, and expected more from him than he was capable of providing.

Yup, what you said.

And my guess is that Donte will indeed have a solid, year, well into the top half of guys at his position. Not elite, but not by any means a weakness.

John, you're missing the point.

What you are failing to understand is that Whitner is a POS because he cares (he's a loudmouth) and Trent Edwards is a POS because he doesn't care (he's not a "Bills' Fan").

It's very simple, really.

Simple, perhaps, but not actually true.

I'm no Trent defender, but when he said he wasn't a fan he just meant that players aren't in a position to be a fan. As an ex-professional comedian, I totally understand this. You spend enough time at smoky, crappy clubs listening to ... um, Richard jokes, and even if you're making money, it's hard to be a fan. Look at the comedians watching other comedians and you'll rarely see them laughing. They're all back there paying no attention or at best saying "He stole that joke from Pryor" or "Funny" without smiling. Players aren't in a position to be fans. They're players.

Trent cares just as much as Donte. It's you who doesn't get what was meant.

John, you're missing the point.

What you are failing to understand is that Whitner is a POS because he cares (he's a loudmouth) and Trent Edwards is a POS because he doesn't care (he's not a "Bills' Fan").

It's very simple, really.

Simple, perhaps, but not actually true.

I'm no Trent defender, but when he said he wasn't a fan he just meant that players aren't in a position to be a fan. As an ex-professional comedian, I totally understand this. You spend enough time at smoky, crappy clubs listening to ... um, Richard jokes, and even if you're making money, it's hard to be a fan. Look at the comedians watching other comedians and you'll rarely see them laughing. They're all back there paying no attention or at best saying "He stole that joke from Pryor" or "Funny" without smiling. Players aren't in a position to be fans. They're players.

Trent cares just as much as Donte. It's you who doesn't get what was meant.

I was just being facetious, Thurm.

Personally, Donte hasn't lived up to the 8th overall pick.

But he has been a great attitude/great teammate guy. From the beginning he tried to take a position of responsibility with the team, having the DBs over to his house for weekly film review sessions, etc.

I think Donte has worked very hard and tries to exemplify professionalism (his one incident in an Ohio bar, notwithstanding).

If Whitner never lives up to his lofty draft status, it won't be because he didn't make very effort to.

It will be because the Bills made a mistake drafting him so high, and expected more from him than he was capable of providing.

The guy is an above average NFL safety now if you draft a safety in the top 10 he better be a top 5 game changer (Ed Reed type) so yeah Donte has been a bust not a zero but a bust in terms of what you expect from a top pick. The guy also has a big mouth which could lessen his value (And it reminds you that the guy isn't living up to were he is drafted).

HOWEVER this guy tries and believes in his team and his teammates. He gives an effort both on and off the field. Even if the talent or production just isn't there you know that the guy is giving his all to the organization. It was a mistake drafting him that high (We should have traded down if they really wanted him just to get extra picks) but he has done all he can to make it work here.

I can't hate the guy at all yeah I wish he would shut up and just lead by example but other then that I hope he finds his way here in Buffalo because effort and hard work should always be rewarded.

I know Donte Whitner obviously hadnt lived up to the hype. I believe he was drafted in the top 10. Players who usually are drafted top 10...are expected to live up to that top 10 spot....

Although Donte clearly hasnt, whats your real opinion on him? If Donte didnt have such a big mouth(via twitter) what would be your actual opinion on him? For instance, if Donte was a quiet leader type(Poz?)...what would your opinion be of him?

I for one think that we have potentially once of the best safety tandems in the league(Byrd/Whitner)....I'm sort of looking forward to increased production obviously from Whitner.....I think he needs stability in his position and at the coaching staff. Basically, i think when all is said and done this year...were going to look back and say Whitner wasnt great but he was indeed 'Solid' this year...

Just my opinion. I was curious to see everyone elses?

I don't know why people continue to try to sugar coat Donte Whitner being a certified bust. It's a very strange phenomenon. It's like Bills fans are afraid to hurt his feelings or something. Donte hasn't lived up to the hype???? How about asking where he ranks among the Bills' biggest first round busts.

I don't know why people continue to try to sugar coat Donte Whitner being a certified bust. It's a very strange phenomenon. It's like Bills fans are afraid to hurt his feelings or something. Donte hasn't lived up to the hype???? How about asking where he ranks among the Bills' biggest first round busts.

It is hard for fans to admit to themselves that either early draft picks, or especially quarterbacks are busts. I held out against hope that Rob Johnson would be a good qb. The guy had every skill he needed, but he was awful, simply horrible. JP Losman will be lucky to have a spot on an NFL team next year, but many Bills Fans will not face the fact that he sucks.

Calling Donte a bust is also calling Marv a bust as GM, and that doesn't generally fly too well either.

It is hard for fans to admit to themselves that either early draft picks, or especially quarterbacks are busts. I held out against hope that Rob Johnson would be a good qb. The guy had every skill he needed, but he was awful, simply horrible. JP Losman will be lucky to have a spot on an NFL team next year, but many Bills Fans will not face the fact that he sucks.

Calling Donte a bust is also calling Marv a bust as GM, and that doesn't generally fly too well either.

One thing about QBs is that some take a good three years to legitimately develop into whatever level they will eventually become or not become. Say what you will, but fans have a right to stay with their first round QBs longer than safeties. Especially top ten picked safeties.

When Marv picked Jauron, I instantly had a knot in my stomach.

One thing about QBs is that some take a good three years to legitimately develop into whatever level they will eventually become or not become. Say what you will, but fans have a right to stay with their first round QBs longer than safeties. Especially top ten picked safeties.

When Marv picked Jauron, I instantly had a knot in my stomach.

Some of this is about liking guys who like WNY no matter how poorly they play on the field. Guys would defend JP to me based on his trash clean-up efforts and the fact that he seemed to like the Buffalo night life. Donte has said nice things about the area too.

Look at how much anti-Trent sentiment is based on a stupid throwaway line about being a player, not a fan. People are convinced Peters wanted out of Buffalo and hate him for it.

I think people forget that Jim Kelly's first two years were spent in the USFL because he absolutely refused to come to Buffalo under any circumstances.

I know Donte Whitner obviously hadnt lived up to the hype. I believe he was drafted in the top 10. Players who usually are drafted top 10...are expected to live up to that top 10 spot....

Although Donte clearly hasnt, whats your real opinion on him? If Donte didnt have such a big mouth(via twitter) what would be your actual opinion on him? For instance, if Donte was a quiet leader type(Poz?)...what would your opinion be of him?

I for one think that we have potentially once of the best safety tandems in the league(Byrd/Whitner)....I'm sort of looking forward to increased production obviously from Whitner.....I think he needs stability in his position and at the coaching staff. Basically, i think when all is said and done this year...were going to look back and say Whitner wasnt great but he was indeed 'Solid' this year...

Just my opinion. I was curious to see everyone elses?

I still wish we had taken Ngata instead of Whitner

Actually, he had another incident. It was a domestic dispute with his baby momma.

It wasn't his fault that Levy/Jauron were unthinkably inept enough to draft him at #8. He plays hard and I give him a lot of credit for doing so, but he is a 3rd round talent.

Yeah, I have to agree with that.

If we had drafted Whitner in the 3rd and somebody like Ngata in the 1st I would have no hard feelings for Whitner.

And man, we'd be pretty tough to run against. :bag: