The Catholic definition of loyalty....

In defense of Il Papa, the Vatican has declared that bishops are not employees of the Pope/Vatican and therefore responsibility for their actions does not fall to Rome. The sex abuse scandal is heating up the Vatican's policy makers and causing some interesting pronouncements--in both English and Latin. Just another example of situational policy making by the Holy See.

Priests, bishops, cardinals all declare loyalty to the Pope, and in return he throws them under the bus when times get tough. Sounds like an oil company mentality to me.

Who's paying to promulgate that legal position?

What you're missing is this wasn't an announcement: The Vatican didn't say bishops are not accountable to the church.

The legal position that the bishops may be employed to a different corporate entity than the Vatican in Italy may well be right. I have no idea about the Catholic church's corporate structure.

So, like the priests, bishops and cardinals are responsible to God, and the Pope is a regional manager? Doesn't hold water when you think of the clerical line of responsibility. In no way would the church accept that the clerics are responsible to anyone other than the Pope, since he is the representative of God on earth. Is the "church's corporate structure" different from its spiritual structure? Is the church taking parsing lessons from Bill Clinton? Can't have it both ways.

It's time to go to confession, do the penance and get on with it; unless that process isn't applicable to the officers of the church....?

So, like the priests, bishops and cardinals are responsible to God, and the Pope is a regional manager? Doesn't hold water when you think of the clerical line of responsibility. In no way would the church accept that the clerics are responsible to anyone other than the Pope, since he is the representative of God on earth. Is the "church's corporate structure" different from its spiritual structure? Is the church taking parsing lessons from Bill Clinton? Can't have it both ways.

It's time to go to confession, do the penance and get on with it; unless that process isn't applicable to the officers of the church....?

Ray Crock dictated that McDonald's franchises not sell Whoppers or Frosties. Does that mean if a manager at a local McDonald's abused an altar boy that it was Ray Crock's fault?

Undoubtedly, the corporate structure is indeed different from the spiritual one. Otherwise, people could just sue the Trinity.

Undoubtedly, the corporate structure is indeed different from the spiritual one. Otherwise, people could just sue the Trinity.

Could I make more money if I sue them all at once, or one at a time? And if I sue them all, could they start blaming each other? And if I sue them separately, could they claim they are really only one dude?

There is a lot of bad crap that goes on in the world and many people seem really pissed. This suing thing might be a good idea. I can reach the big man via Googlebot so we can probably force him to testify.

Send me a PM the day the Pope says his authority over priests, bishops and cardinals is limited, AND the day that those lesser officials acknowledge that the Pope isn't their earthly "boss."