The Right way and the Wrong way...

A few weeks ago, there was tons of speculation about the fate of Marshawn Lynch after he decided not to participate in voluntary off-season workouts.

At that time, I said that Marshawn doesn't have a clue…that regardless of what he wants (to stay or to be traded), there is only one good course of action. To attend voluntary workouts.

By attending the workouts, Marshawn sends a signal to everyone (the Bills, their new coaching staff, their new GM, the players, and fans and prospective teams interested in trading for him, that he's the consummate professional, and a good teammate. Besides, what better things does Marshawn have to do? Especially when one possible outcome is that he ends up playing one more year with the Bills.

It is often stated that the only leverage a contracted player has is to withhold his services. I've never agreed with this opinion. A player can play ball with the team and show that he's a good professional with a good attitude and deserves that which he wants. Anyways, I was reminded of the Lynch situation when I read this:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...-will-work-out/

"A league source tells us that Dumervil won't be practicing, but that he'll participate in weightlifting and conditioning, with a signed injury protection waiver. Dumervil also will attend meetings.

Dumervil is represented by Gary Wichard, the agent who represents Ravens linebacker/defensive end Terrell Suggs. Dumervil presumably is looking to land a deal similar to Suggs' Haynesworth-style contract, and Dumervil apparently is trying to get it by being around, a tactic Wichard has employed with Suggs, Colts defensive end Dwight Freeney, and former Dolphins defensive end/linebacker Jason Taylor."

Now Dumervil has not signed his tender, so he's not under contract. But the point is, he's showing good faith while his agent and his team work things out.

There's one big possible reason for Lynch's non-participation: He's been told to stay away by the Bills as they explore trade possibilities.

But why would Lynch comply with this if he is getting bad publicity as a result? Other players in the past (Steve McNair) have forced the issue by showing up at the team facilities in defiance of the team's wishes. So I don't buy that the Bills have asked Lynch to sit at home. And if they have, he should still come in and work out so that he's prepared for anything and to force Buddy Nix's hand.

Whatever is going on behind the scenes, I believe that Lynch is showing bad judgement by not working out at the Bills facilities. And it's his reputation that continues to take a beating as a result.