Poz Second Best At HIs Position In The League?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did those statistics prove he was too slow last year and helped significantly contribute to one of the worst run defenses in recent memory?

It's clear to anyone that all of these other guys in the top eight on the list aren't very good either:

56-L.Woodley PIT

51-J.Vilma NO

52-D.Harris NYJ

52-P.Willis SF

92-J.Harrison PIT

52-J.Beason CAR

52-R.Lewis BLT

Either that or really unbelievable how Poz obviously played so poorly and got those marks but all of these other guys played great and got those same marks, only less. What a coinkidink!

It's clear to anyone that all of these other guys in the top eight on the list aren't very good either:

56-L.Woodley PIT

51-J.Vilma NO

52-D.Harris NYJ

52-P.Willis SF

92-J.Harrison PIT

52-J.Beason CAR

52-R.Lewis BLT

Either that or really unbelievable how Poz obviously played so poorly and got those marks but all of these other guys played great and got those same marks, only less. What a coinkidink!

Look at that list. Is there anything you notice.

From a football perspective Poz is well below each of those guys. If you factor in beautiful hair as a statistical category, he jumps to #2 on the list. Some of those guys have decent hair but none are anywhere near Poz.

Personally I don't think it should be a category but who am I to argue with a computer?

If the Bills can keep blockers off Poz he should be alright next year. If they cant your gonna see a lot of tackles made 5 or 6 yards from the LOS. As an aside I'm fine with Poz dropping in coverage, but has anyone else noticed, he's just a horrendous blitzer?

Based on those ranking, you would think we had a top 10 defense.

But we did not.

Great rankings.

I'll bite.

Why? Are you one of those people that automatically assume just because the Bills are moving to the 3-4 that the defense is "suddenly" going to get better?

Like somehow the 3-4 is SOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than a 4-3?

Maybe he is assuming but it is a safe assumption. Do you truly not think we are going to be better off without the tiny linebackers? Granted, the players we drafted have to produce, as does everyone, but they added some bulk and it should help stop the run this year. And besides, the bills can never seem to play well against the 3-4 so it must be harder.........ah, ok, maybe thats not the best example. Seriously though, I hated that , whats that one guy call it?, tampon 2 defense. It may not be sooooooooo much better, but the 3-4 is better. and a bonus will be our offense will get to practice against it so that should help them when it comes time to play the teams in our division.

Gailey did an interview stating all the reasons why he was switching. And I agree that this is the way to go. are you assuming it'll be worse?

I think POZ is a very good player, but all these defensive stats are BS. These guys are on the field so much they have inflated tackles. Call me when they cen get off the field on 3rd down consistently and have a top defense in the NFL not the division.

Here's the latest rankings on where various Bills stand overall in the league. Turns out that Schobel, Kyle Williams, Stroud and now Posluszny are very highly rated. What do you make of these rankings?

Poz’s playmaking right up there

By Chris Brown - Posted May 12, 2010 – 10:29 am

On Monday we showed how AdvancedNFLStats determined playmaking ability through new statistical models that measure WPA or positive win probability added and EPA or positive expected points added. Aaron Schobel and Kyle Williams were both among the best at their respective positions for the 2009 regular season. Buffalo’s middle and soon to be inside linebacker fared well at his position too.

“+WPA” and “+EPA” add up the value of every sack, interception, pass defense, forced fumble or recovery, and every tackle or assist that results in a setback for the offense. What these stats measure ultimately is playmaking ability.

Paul Posluszny (2.00) had the second highest WPA among linebackers for the 2009 regular season with only Lamarr Woodley (2.10)faring better than him.

In positive expected points added per game, Poz ranked third overall among linebackers finishing behind only Carolina’s Thomas Davis and Houston’s Brian Cushing.

Here’s the top 15 list of linebackers for this playmaking statistic. Not a bad showing by Pittsburgh linebackers with all four of their starters in the top 15 (Woodley, Harrison, Timmons and Farrior). It’s encouraging knowing Buffalo is moving to that scheme as well.

56-L.Woodley PIT

51-P.Posluszny BUF

51-J.Vilma NO

52-D.Harris NYJ

52-P.Willis SF

92-J.Harrison PIT

52-J.Beason CAR

52-R.Lewis BLT

59-L.Fletcher WAS

55-C.Session IND

58-G.Brackett IND

54-Ge.Hayes TB

94-L.Timmons PIT

93-A.Spencer DAL

51-J.Farrior PIT

Here's the link if you want it:

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/05/12/p...right-up-there/

Given recent events...can we get a recount on that to make sure Poz shouldn't be 2nd, only behind Thomas Davis? :thumbsup:

Some people are making the point that if we had four top quality players on D, then why did we suck so much? I think a few things fit that aren't contradictory to those players being good. We had a light defense that had trouble stopping the run, especially late in the games - but, the Bills offense was on the field so little that it was almost painful to watch - I don't know how many games that defense, as underrated as they were, gave the team a chance to win and the offense just couldn't score, nor stay on the field, and, eventually, the D gave way.

Now, we still have that secondary, we still have some good players, and we got an infusion of youth and size - it should be a much more productive unit this year.

56-L.Woodley PIT

51-J.Vilma NO

52-D.Harris NYJ

52-P.Willis SF

92-J.Harrison PIT

52-J.Beason CAR

52-R.Lewis BLT

Have you ever made an argument in your life where you didn't include your ridiculous condescending tone?

Get real. Neither Poz and nor this D are very good. Poz is average at best. Mostly late to the carrier. This defense always got beat when they needed to stand tough.

In fairness to Poz, we havent yet got a chance to see what he can do, when a d line keeps blockers off him. And he has been very good dropping into coverage in his career.

IMO are D is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. The D was just on the field almost double the oposition. They were gassed by the 2nd half because the O could not sustain any drives to rest our D.

Plus if you knew that your offense was not going to help out what so ever...(score points, get a first down, hell even gain positive yards) would you bust your tail every play?

I agree the defense was on the field a lot last year. Therein lies the problem, at least with the stats cited in the original Chris Brown article. If defender A is on the field for twice as many plays per game as defender B, it stands to reason that defender A will get a lot more positive plays than B will have, even if B is playing at the same or moderately higher level. The Bills' defenders were being graded on a curve--a curve which made them appear better than they actually are.

As for why the defense was on the field so much--yes, part of the problem was the offense. But the defense contributed a lot too, by not getting off the field on third downs.

Please understand that I'm not dismissing the value of the stat--just pointing out one of its flaws. Even after adjusting for the Bills' defense being on the field more often than other teams' defenses, we'd still probably end up with a milder, somewhat less optimistic version of the conclusions presented in Chris Brown's article.

IMO are D is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. The D was just on the field almost double the oposition. They were gassed by the 2nd half because the O could not sustain any drives to rest our D.

No they weren't. Our offensive TOP was 28:12.

I agree if you watched the games you could see Poz is a very good MLB. The problem with hte defense was that we have NO offense.....if the defense was off the field for 5-6 more minutes a game do you think they would be better? Of course they would.

If the offensive TOP was 5 or 6 minutes longer, it would, by far, be the best in the league--maybe an NFL record.

Look, the time the offense is on the field doesn't matter---so few minutes separate the best from the worst in that category. It's what the team does when it's on the field. This offense doesn't score. That's it.

However, teams ran all over Poz and the front seven. It's still their job to get off the field.

In fairness to Poz, we havent yet got a chance to see what he can do, when a d line keeps blockers off him. And he has been very good dropping into coverage in his career.

Part of the game is for the LB's to be able to fend off lineman especially on blitzes.

Poz has showed improvement on playing the pass but still very average. A lot of his tackles come from getting burned in the middle on passes.

Most LB's will be good if they are untouched.

Why do so many people make excuses for Poz?