PETERS OVER FINA ?? COME ON !!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been doing my daily reading up on the Bills jumping from this site to that site & while on one of those sites saw something i could not believe !!! In a pole of which best tackle of the decade the Bills fans (if you can call them that) chose

Jason :D Peters over John Fina :thumbsup: ?? Peters can't hold Fina's jock strap when it comes all around team player and wasn't he our tackle on the Super Bowl teams ?? Man if any of you all voted for Peters you need some serious evaluation & quick !!! But it could be that they were all votes from fairly new Bills fans that never saw Fina play or the ones that did vote were to drunk to notice that's the only thing i can figure because any true Bills fan knows that just by Fina being on the team the Bills were when he was playing way out shadows any thing Peters has or will do in his career !!

John Fina was not very good. He did have a couple of good seasons, but he was mostly overmatched physically. He was a blown-up 220 pounder and lacked strength, nastiness or passion for the game. He had exceptional feet for pass protection, but didn't play up to that skill either. If you didn't like Peters for his attitude, Fina wasn't much better in that regard, and he brought zero to the run game.

I will say this about Peters.....guy is probably the most talented Tackle in football but he's also about the dumbest and laziest. IMO he's not even a top ten LT......I'd take all these guys ahead of him when healthy.

1. McNeil

2. Gross

3. Clady

4. Oher

5. Gaither

6. Roos

7. Jake Long

8. D. Furgeson

9. M. Light

10. J. Thomas

The problem is that Kirk Chambers and Demetrius Bell replaced Peters. That was absurd. The Bills had a chance to draft Oher. They didn't. This is another blatent example of the organization's ineptness.

As a member of the site where the pole was originally posted, I can say quite confidently that OP was full of crap. The poll was who where the Bills best OT's this decade. And while I like Fina as a player, and admire him as a human being, he didnt do a lot this decade. He played 2 seasons in the aughts, and was either hurt or not hugely effective. Which is why Peters ran away with the original poll for OT #1. Since the poll didn't take the 90's into account thats why guy's like Woolford, and Ballard weren't included. Who also would have beat Fina in a poll of that nature. So yea, Fina nice guy, decent player, just not an all decade guy in either the 90's or the aughts.

I apologize to the board if I am wrong on this but.....

Wasn't Howard Ballard and Will Wolford our starting Tackles during the Super Bowl years?

John Fina was a pretty good player.....but had a problem with injuries early and never quite got away from that

Wolford left after, I believe, the second SB. Fina replaced him at LT. Or rather, Fina tried to replace him, but only took his place. Wolford was a damn good player. Fina wasn't all that good.

the problem wasnt trading Peters, it was not drafting his replacement...why cant people understand that

Because it's one problem, not two. That's like saying "The problem wasn't crossing the river. The problem was that the bridge broke." All one problem.

If you don't trade Peters, there's no problem. If you trade him but have a good player to replace him, no problem. But if you trade him and have no replacement, that's a problem, only one problem ... no decent LT.

And if you trade him and then draft his replacement, you have used up a high draft pick that you could have kept and used somewhere else you have a desperate need if you keep Peters.

That is obviously just your opinion, and it is wrong without a doubt. Sorry :thumbsup:

Hey, I have no problem with your lack of football knowledge. It's no problem to me. Don't be sorry.

Look at all the ten million dollar contracts that were thrown at Fina's feet. NOT ... EVEN ... CLOSE.

Yeah, sure, comparing football players is largely just opinon. But anyone who thinks that JaMarcus Russell is better than Peyton Manning, for instance, well, is that an opinion that should be taken seriously?

Now, Fina was no JaMarcus Russell, don't get me wrong. But Jack Trudeau was a decent NFL player, but anyone comparing him to Favre, for example, won't be taken seriously. And that's the kind of comparison you make when you compare Fina to Peters.

Now, if you want to compare Will Wolford to Peters, that's a different thing entirely. Wolford was a hell of a player and as long as you throw in "for his time," (you don't see 294 pound LTs anymore) I would still disagree, but you would definitely have an argument. But Fina? Please.

Interesting story I heard about Fina (and no, I have not tried to confirm it)... supposedly his Dad was in the medical field and pushed John to keep his weight below a certain limit to avoid future problems with his knees, etc.

If this is true, I do remember him as being competent but not having the bulk or strength to help him become more dominant.

If this plan worked and his knees are healthy... good move, but he was not at Peter's performance level.

I will say this about Peters.....guy is probably the most talented Tackle in football but he's also about the dumbest and laziest. IMO he's not even a top ten LT......I'd take all these guys ahead of him when healthy.

1. McNeil

2. Gross

3. Clady

4. Oher

5. Gaither

6. Roos

7. Jake Long

8. D. Furgeson

9. M. Light

10. J. Thomas

Your avatar is totally freaking me out. Totally.

Is that the human Philly Fanatic?

Drafting John F'n Fina instead of Carl Pickens was a dark day in Bills history. I know Pickens was a punk, but we needed a playmake over a backup mediocre tackle.

It still burns me. Not as much as Ngata, but it's still there.

1. McNeil

2. Gross

3. Clady

4. Oher

5. Gaither

6. Roos

7. Jake Long

8. D. Furgeson

9. M. Light

10. J. Thomas

The problem is that Kirk Chambers and Demetrius Bell replaced Peters. That was absurd. The Bills had a chance to draft Oher. They didn't. This is another blatent example of the organization's ineptness.

There were a bunch of questions about Oher's work ethic, his ability to play RT, and pass rushing was thought to be a bigger need. Oher seems liek the obvious pick now but thats hindsight. Oher also struggled a bit at LT when he played there last year.

Let's let both players careers play out. But after year 1, Oher is winning.

Hey, I have no problem with your lack of football knowledge. It's no problem to me. Don't be sorry.

Look at all the ten million dollar contracts that were thrown at Fina's feet. NOT ... EVEN ... CLOSE.

Yeah, sure, comparing football players is largely just opinon. But anyone who thinks that JaMarcus Russell is better than Peyton Manning, for instance, well, is that an opinion that should be taken seriously?

Now, Fina was no JaMarcus Russell, don't get me wrong. But Jack Trudeau was a decent NFL player, but anyone comparing him to Favre, for example, won't be taken seriously. And that's the kind of comparison you make when you compare Fina to Peters.

Now, if you want to compare Will Wolford to Peters, that's a different thing entirely. Wolford was a hell of a player and as long as you throw in "for his time," (you don't see 294 pound LTs anymore) I would still disagree, but you would definitely have an argument. But Fina? Please.

It really is you with a lack of football knowledge. Quarterbacks weren't even thrown $10 million dollar contracts in the 90's, so why would a tackle? Anthony Munoz never made close to half of that for one season and he is commonly known as one of if not the best LT ever. Not sure what gave you the impression that Peters was so great, other than his absurd salary, and based on that theory of yours, Jamarcus Russell will go straight to Canton. All Peters has done is last year lead the league in penalties, the year before lead the league in sacks given up-by a mile, so yeah he is great. He has done nothing but gotten slammed by the Philadelphia media after last season, he is lazy, overrated, over paid and a penalty and sack machine. Sorry once again that you were slighted when they passed out football knowledge. Did Trudeau start at one of the most critical positions on a football team for nearly a decade, on a team that went to the postseason almost every year? Not even close. This chat wasn't about Will Wolford, and if it was it wouldn't be a case, you can't even compare Peters to Wolford. Wolford is closer to Munoz' level (and he wasn't all that close to that) than to the low level of Peters performance. Your logic is way off. Go to your pubic library, kids section, and borrow "Football for Dummies", read it front to back about 10 times, then come back and we will chat.

There were a bunch of questions about Oher's work ethic, his ability to play RT, and pass rushing was thought to be a bigger need. Oher seems liek the obvious pick now but thats hindsight. Oher also struggled a bit at LT when he played there last year.

Let's let both players careers play out. But after year 1, Oher is winning.

The Bills were determined not to give Jason Peters a new contract. So they traded him. The front office knew well in advance that Peters was not going to get a new deal and would be shopped to the highest bidder. This organization felt that Langston Walker and Demetrius Bell would be good options to replace JP. It was a very bad miscalculation.

It is understandable and expected that Oher struggled at times playing LT. He was a rookie. It is rare that any rookie, no matter how highly drafted, has some problems. Oher has developed enough that he is being moved to LT at the expense of Gaither, who was moved to RT. Last year rookies Woods and Levitre were not instant stars. They at times were overwhelmed. But that shouldn't be surprising because they were rookies. That is part of the growth process which can't be avoided.

You say that Maybin was drafted because the Bills needed a pass rusher. Last year Maybin couldn't even get on the field because the coaches didn't believe he was ready. Orakpo was on the board when our turn came up. The Skins got a superlative rookie in Orakpo and the Bills got an invisible Maybin. It is one miscalculation after another in personnel decisions.

It really is you with a lack of football knowledge. Quarterbacks weren't even thrown $10 million dollar contracts in the 90's, so why would a tackle? Anthony Munoz never made close to half of that for one season and he is commonly known as one of if not the best LT ever.

Um, hyper-literal much? Peters got offered the second-best contract for anyone at his position in history. Did Fina get anything even slightly close to that kind of offer? I can't believe you didn't pick up my meaning on this. Next time I write to you, I'll try to write very very slowly.

Not sure what gave you the impression that Peters was so great, other than his absurd salary, and based on that theory of yours, Jamarcus Russell will go straight to Canton.

OK, clearly you can't even read. Got it. Won't bother with you anymore. I'll restrict myself to people who can understand simple English. JaMarcus Russell will go to Canton based on what I wrote? If you're a young guy, twelve or under, please forgive me for being so snarky. If you're an adult, that was one pitiful display.

It's like I wrote "Oranges are usually orange," only to have you write back "How can you possibly say that watermelons without exception weigh more than 900 degrees fahrenheit. Watermelons aren't anywhere near that fuzzy. Why don't you go get yourself a book?" You didn't miss the point so much as you thought it was a water cooler and tried to point out that it's carbon footprint had eczema. Pitiful.

The Bills were determined not to give Jason Peters a new contract. So they traded him. The front office knew well in advance that Peters was not going to get a new deal and would be shopped to the highest bidder. This organization felt that Langston Walker and Demetrius Bell would be good options to replace JP. It was a very bad miscalculation.

It is understandable and expected that Oher struggled at times playing LT. He was a rookie. It is rare that any rookie, no matter how highly drafted, has some problems. Oher has developed enough that he is being moved to LT at the expense of Gaither, who was moved to RT. Last year rookies Woods and Levitre were not instant stars. They at times were overwhelmed. But that shouldn't be surprising because they were rookies. That is part of the growth process which can't be avoided.

You say that Maybin was drafted because the Bills needed a pass rusher. Last year Maybin couldn't even get on the field because the coaches didn't believe he was ready. Orakpo was on the board when our turn came up. The Skins got a superlative rookie in Orakpo and the Bills got an invisible Maybin. It is one miscalculation after another in personnel decisions.

My whole point was that Oher wasn't a sure fire homerun franchise LT. If he develops into one and Maybin is only average or worse, then it is a terrible decision. But one season doesn't make a career. I know we all need to overreact all the time but each draft pick needs 3 years to fully evaluate. Call it the "Rick Mirer rule."

My whole point was that Oher wasn't a sure fire homerun franchise LT. If he develops into one and Maybin is only average or worse, then it is a terrible decision. But one season doesn't make a career. I know we all need to overreact all the time but each draft pick needs 3 years to fully evaluate. Call it the "Rick Mirer rule."

No draftee is a sure fire pick. That is the nature of the draft. One of the points I was making with Oher is that taking him would have been a terrific fallback position to take for the planned trade of Peters. The front office miscalculated and felt that Walker and Bell were reasonable options to fill that void. It was a hideously bad decision.

Could Maybin turn out to be a good player? It is possible. Last year the Bills made it clear that they wanted an immediate impact player. Maybin certainly didn't come close to achieving the desired impact level.

We both agree that it takes some time to fairly evaluate how a draftee is going to do. But the body of work of the front office doing the drafting over the past decade doesn't even meet the mediocre level. I am more hopeful that the Bills with a little more settled front office can make prudent personnel decisions. Although there were many critics of the first Nix draft I thought he did very well. In his first draft you can see a coherency to it.