One of the benefits of living in Alaska

One campground I stayed at in the Adirondacks had an electric fence around their dumpsters to keep the bears out.

I saw a dump in the Yukon like that. I thought I was approaching a prison. Fish and game can actually fine me for not using a bear proof container, fortunately the one I showed is my neighbors. Where in the Adirondacks? My old stamping grounds, I lived in Saranac lake for 4 years.

Been there, passing thru to Inlet[about 10 miles from old forge] to fish the moose river. I miss the Adirondacks,but not the winters. 15 years in Alaska and still my coldest temperature experienced was in Saranac lake. -55.

We go to Big Moose lake every year since I was a kid. Still go there now that I have kids. Now we go to Covewood Lodge. Back then we stayed at The Big Moose Inn. Have camped at many of the nearby lakes. Beautiful place.

We go to Big Moose lake every year since I was a kid. Still go there now that I have kids. Now we go to Covewood Lodge. Back then we stayed at The Big Moose Inn. Have camped at many of the nearby lakes. Beautiful place.

Yes it is. In my day[80s] International paper owned all the land in the area, but the state did a land swap so at lest the moose river area is protected. My first "mountain" climb was Marcy in November in freezing rain, a nightmare but try it in June or July. Family friendly trail, but you need to overnight.

Been there, passing thru to Inlet[about 10 miles from old forge] to fish the moose river. I miss the Adirondacks,but not the winters. 15 years in Alaska and still my coldest temperature experienced was in Saranac lake. -55.

I went through Inlet just yesterday, was up in the Moose River Plains looking for the campsite my parents took us to every summer (August to avoid the flies) that was on the banks of the Moose River.

Jim....You didn't nail him with a bionic elbow and slap a figure 4 leg lock on him? Now THAT would have been a YouTube classic!

Please I have a .375 H&H for such work. Regarding that bear, my neighbor popped him with a .44 Mag., claiming self defense, which I thought was a total load of chicken feathers :D

When I read this, early this morning, I watched the video. I kept waiting for a loud Boom.

Alas no discharge of firearms in the Municipality of Anchorage. The fact that the fence in the background is a schoolyard would not have helped my case either. Believe me, it was tempting. Not so much so as the moose that ruin my trees, but still tempting.

One campground I stayed at in the Adirondacks had an electric fence around their dumpsters to keep the bears out.

That is why towns have bear problems today... Towns that never had a history of problems of bears wandering into town. When there were open trash hollows and what not, it acted like "fly paper"... Now with all the enviro/ecco "friendly" policies like closed transfer stations and what not... The animals encroach closer than they ever have to humans... With varying results. Just wait till big cats like cougars start coming back to their natural haunts... Sometimes we really go overboard with all the eniviro stuff, not fully taking into consideration the side effects.

No. South Anchorage is where the hillside"view" homes are.Horrible driveways[Damn well straight up and down] but that is where the rich prefer to live.

:D

I was shooting for the south/warmer angle... :thumbsup:

Is that where the landslides/tide problems happened off the Cook Inlet/Turnagain Arm? :beer: