Abstinence Only Programs

Mickey

As part of the 1996 welfare reform act, 50 million bucks was appropriated to fund state initiatives to promote abstinence as the only acceptable choice for teens. It sounded like a good idea at the time. Who could be against promoting abstinence for kids? Well, in the first 5 years of the program, all the states but California participated in the program. California was ahead of the curve and already had its own program in effect back in the early 1990's. By 1996 they had to admit that it was a failure and finally pulled the plug on this "feel-good", no pun intended, program.

A report on the effect of these programs was due out last year but still has not been released. A final report on the effectiveness of these programs was to be out next summer but since the first report is already almost 2 years late, I imagine the final study will be delayed even further. How many here think that if the programs were successfull they wouldn't rush the numbers out asap?

The program provides the the feds will put in $4 for every $3 the states kick in. Basically, that has drummed up around $90 million each year for these programs. Although a comprehensive report hasn't been issued yet, some states have released reports on how their programs are doing. Arizona, Minnesota, Florida, Maryland, Iowa, Pennsylvania, Oregon, Missouri and Nebraska have published some data and of course, we can see how California did in their own program.

Four of those ten reported increased sexual activity comparing pre- and post program levels. Three more concluded that there was no impact on sexual activity and three more had reported no data on this issue. Basically 7 show no effect or things actually getting worse and 3 have not reported.

The CDC's most recent study on teen pregnancy, including those terminated by abortion covered four years, from 1992-1995. This is before the abstinence program started which was much later. The study already showed decreasing rates across the board which was a relief. Interestingly, the ten states with the highest rates in the last year of the study are, from highest to lowest: Nevada, Texas, Georgia, North Carolina, Arizona, New Mexico, Alabama, NY, Ten, and Arkansas (aren't those all "red" states besides NY?). The states with the lowest rates were, from lowest to highest: ND, Minnesota, Wyoming, Utah, Maine, Wisconsin, SD, Idaho, Vermont and Pennsylvania (I think the red-blue is 5-5 there, a dead heat). The ten states with the best reduction over the period of the study are: Vermont, Wisconsin, Conn, Pa, SD, Colorado, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska and Minnesota (the blues take that one 6-4). CDC Teen Pregnancy Rates

As laudable as an abstinence only program may sound, it looks like states were lowering rates without this expensive program. Even worse it looks more and more like these programs are just another big waste of money by state and local governments. The report is being delayed, a good sign that it has nothing good to report and the numbers we do have are pretty bad. Of course, what is a few hundred million here or there wasted?

It just shows you that the Republican elite can just as happily waste money on ill conceived social engineering projects as well meaning liberals. What I would like to see is who did each state hire to establish and run these things and who was passing out those plum jobs?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As part of the 1996 welfare reform act, 50 million bucks was appropriated to fund state initiatives to promote abstinence as the only acceptable choice for teens.  It sounded like a good idea at the time.  Who could be against promoting abstinence for kids?  Well, in the first 5 years of the program, all the states but California participated in the program.  California was ahead of the curve and already had its own program in effect back in the early 1990's.  By 1996 they had to admit that it was a failure and finally pulled the plug on this "feel-good", no pun intended, program.

A report on the effect of these programs was due out last year but still has not been released.  A final report on the effectiveness of these programs was to be out next summer but since the first report is already almost 2 years late, I imagine the final study will be delayed even further.  How many here think that if the programs were successfull they wouldn't rush the numbers out asap?

The program provides the the feds will put in $4 for every $3 the states kick in.  Basically, that has drummed up around $90 million each year for these programs.  Although a comprehensive report hasn't been issued yet, some states have released reports on how their programs are doing.  Arizona, Minnesota, Florida, Maryland, Iowa, Pennsylvania, Oregon, Missouri and Nebraska have published some data and of course, we can see how California did in their own program.

Four of those ten reported increased sexual activity comparing pre- and post program levels.  Three more concluded that there was no impact on sexual activity and three more had reported no data on this issue.  Basically 7 show no effect or things actually getting worse and 3 have not reported.

The CDC's most recent study on teen pregnancy, including those terminated by abortion covered four years, from 1992-1995.  This is before the abstinence program started which was much later.  The study already showed decreasing rates across the board which was a relief.  Interestingly, the ten states with the highest rates in the last year of the study are, from highest to lowest: Nevada, Texas, Georgia, North Carolina, Arizona, New Mexico, Alabama, NY, Ten, and Arkansas (aren't those all "red" states besides NY?).  The states with the lowest rates were, from lowest to highest: ND, Minnesota, Wyoming, Utah, Maine, Wisconsin, SD, Idaho, Vermont and Pennsylvania (I think the red-blue is 5-5 there, a dead heat).  The ten states with the best reduction over the period of the study are: Vermont, Wisconsin, Conn, Pa, SD, Colorado, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska and Minnesota (the blues take that one 6-4). CDC Teen Pregnancy Rates

As laudable as an abstinence only program may sound, it looks like states were lowering rates without this expensive program.  Even worse it looks more and more like these programs are just another big waste of money by state and local governments.  The report is being delayed, a good sign that it has nothing good to report and the numbers we do have are pretty bad.  Of course, what is a few hundred million here or there wasted?

It just shows you that the Republican elite can just as happily waste money on ill conceived social engineering projects as well meaning liberals.  What I would like to see is who did each state hire to establish and run these things and who was passing out those plum jobs?

139730[/snapback]

where do you find the time to write 400 word rants? Do you actually work for a living?

where do you find the time to write 400 word rants? Do you actually work for a living?

139767[/snapback]

Sorry, I forget that your attention span is so short and your reading skills so clearly rudimentary. Here is a shorter version for you:

Evidence suggests that abstinence only programs don't work thus the hundreds of millions of dollars spent on them were a waste.

Why don't you challenge the conclusions I drew by challenging the numbers upon which they are based? If you have some reason to believe that the CDC cooked these numbers or the States which have reported their results are lying to get themsleves in trouble for wasting cash, please show us the proof.

139767[/snapback]

and you have the gall to B word about the board? The guy put some thought and research into starting a discussion and because it may not reflect favorably on YOUR side, or poorly enough on HIS, you want to stifle it?

This board has gone to hell because people here WANT it that way. You want to spend your time either gushing over your boy and agreeing with your fellow wingnuts or stomping on people who don't agree with you. You don't want discussions.

That jailhouse mentality will serve you well though, given that you're a thief and all and it will catch up with you. :lol:

and you have the gall to B word about the board?  The guy put some thought and research into starting a discussion and because it may not reflect favorably on YOUR side, or poorly enough on HIS, you want to stifle it?

This board has gone to hell because people here WANT it that way. You want to spend your time either gushing over your boy and agreeing with your fellow wingnuts or stomping on people who don't agree with you.  You don't want discussions.

That jailhouse mentality will serve you well though, given that you're a thief and all and it will catch up with you. :lol:

139821[/snapback]

I agree. RiO gripes about the lack of topics, them complains about a post being too long. Classic.

As part of the 1996 welfare reform act, 50 million bucks was appropriated to fund state initiatives to promote abstinence as the only acceptable choice for teens.  It sounded like a good idea at the time.  Who could be against promoting abstinence for kids?  Well, in the first 5 years of the program, all the states but California participated in the program.  California was ahead of the curve and already had its own program in effect back in the early 1990's.  By 1996 they had to admit that it was a failure and finally pulled the plug on this "feel-good", no pun intended, program.

A report on the effect of these programs was due out last year but still has not been released.  A final report on the effectiveness of these programs was to be out next summer but since the first report is already almost 2 years late, I imagine the final study will be delayed even further.  How many here think that if the programs were successfull they wouldn't rush the numbers out asap?

The program provides the the feds will put in $4 for every $3 the states kick in.  Basically, that has drummed up around $90 million each year for these programs.  Although a comprehensive report hasn't been issued yet, some states have released reports on how their programs are doing.  Arizona, Minnesota, Florida, Maryland, Iowa, Pennsylvania, Oregon, Missouri and Nebraska have published some data and of course, we can see how California did in their own program.

Four of those ten reported increased sexual activity comparing pre- and post program levels.  Three more concluded that there was no impact on sexual activity and three more had reported no data on this issue.  Basically 7 show no effect or things actually getting worse and 3 have not reported.

The CDC's most recent study on teen pregnancy, including those terminated by abortion covered four years, from 1992-1995.  This is before the abstinence program started which was much later.  The study already showed decreasing rates across the board which was a relief.  Interestingly, the ten states with the highest rates in the last year of the study are, from highest to lowest: Nevada, Texas, Georgia, North Carolina, Arizona, New Mexico, Alabama, NY, Ten, and Arkansas (aren't those all "red" states besides NY?).  The states with the lowest rates were, from lowest to highest: ND, Minnesota, Wyoming, Utah, Maine, Wisconsin, SD, Idaho, Vermont and Pennsylvania (I think the red-blue is 5-5 there, a dead heat).  The ten states with the best reduction over the period of the study are: Vermont, Wisconsin, Conn, Pa, SD, Colorado, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska and Minnesota (the blues take that one 6-4). CDC Teen Pregnancy Rates

As laudable as an abstinence only program may sound, it looks like states were lowering rates without this expensive program.  Even worse it looks more and more like these programs are just another big waste of money by state and local governments.  The report is being delayed, a good sign that it has nothing good to report and the numbers we do have are pretty bad.  Of course, what is a few hundred million here or there wasted?

It just shows you that the Republican elite can just as happily waste money on ill conceived social engineering projects as well meaning liberals.  What I would like to see is who did each state hire to establish and run these things and who was passing out those plum jobs?

139730[/snapback]

You seem to be trying that red state blue state correlation thingy again. We get it. Anyone that votes for Republicans is dumb.

As for the rest of your post, the correlations are tough to draw. Does "abstinence only program" mean there are no other programs at all in that state? Are there other demographic factors in play? Does the program itself properly support abstinence (is it taught in a compelling way)?

Does anyone think teaching kids to put condoms on cucumbers is really helping? If I'm not listening about abstinence, why would I listen to a condom lesson? I don't know really, maybe it would work to a degree but it would definitely be tough to properly measure its success rate. What is the opportunity cost? Perhaps an extra math session a day would serve the students better than condom or virginity class.

Doesn't MTV teach us everything we need to know about condoms already? Can't our parents teach us abstinence?

Well, except for those people who got AIDS from blood transfusions or their infected doctors/dentists.  :doh:

139810[/snapback]

A miniscule percentage. And you know it.

Not without reason, did society in years past put an onus on promiscuity and a premium on monogamy. And yes, sinning was prevalent back then, before you raise the topic. But unlike today, it had strong social consequences.

I hear the figure bandied about from time to time in the media - something like 40% of people under 35 have VD - Venereal Disease. So much for the brainpower of the current crop of young people.

I know the current "feel-good-I'm-just-a victim" term is STD. Makes it seem almost acceptable... ;)

A miniscule percentage. And you know it.

Not without reason, did society in years past put an onus on promiscuity and a premium on monogamy.  And yes, sinning was prevalent back then, before you raise the topic. But unlike today, it had strong social consequences.

I hear the figure bandied about from time to time in the media - something like 40% of people under 35 have VD - Venereal Disease.  So much for the brainpower of the current crop of young people.

I know the current "feel-good-I'm-just-a victim" term is STD. Makes it seem almost acceptable... :doh:

139910[/snapback]

Just Darwin doing his thing, really.

Well, except for those people who got AIDS from blood transfusions or their infected doctors/dentists.  :doh:

139810[/snapback]

Or as a prenatal condition. Or shared needles...

And no, stuckincincy...they're not ALL shared for illegal purposes. Worldwide, it's probably the second-biggest vector for AIDS.

139730[/snapback]

And as for the original topic of this thread...it absolutely amazes me that anyone would want to give the government the responsibilities of parents. That right there - the belief that parents who want to teach their children a certain morality should rely on the government to do it - should automatically disqualify anyone who believes it from having kids.