Have a 7 Hour Layover in Mexico City

Dante

We have to go to a wedding this week in Cancun. I really don't need to be going but it's the buyer for our biggest customer. I mean there certainly is worse things to be doing. We have the worst flights leaving SF at 12.55am Wednesday morning!! Ouch. The worst part is we get to Mexico City at about 7 am local time and we have to wait 7 hours for our connection. I'm definitely going to try to get a earlier flight out of there when we arrive but in the event we can't, what is there to do fairly close to the Airport to kill some time without getting into trouble? Ive never been there so I have no idea.

We have to go to a wedding this week in Cancoun. I really don't need to be going but it's the buyer for our biggest customer. I mean there certainly is worse things to be doing. We have the worst flights leaving SF at 12.55am Wednesday morning!! Ouch. The worst part is we get to Mexico City at about 7 am local time and we have to wait 7 hours for our connection. I'm definitely going to try to get a earlier flight out of there when we arrive but in the event we can't, what is there to do fairly close to the Airport to kill some time without getting into trouble? Ive never been there so I have no idea.

Go to Cancun instead, it's nicer. You could always get yourself kidnapped and extend your stay in Me-hee-co

Go to Cancun instead, it's nicer. You could always get yourself kidnapped and extend your stay in Me-hee-co

I hear Mexico City is worse than Cancun. Too bad the wedding is not in Playa del Carmen, Cozumel, or Puerto Vallarta!

Bring a pillow, some movies and books, take a nap, and have a couple Sols with the locals! :sick:

Does your buyer have any contacts that they could put you in touch with so they can show you the city / get something to eat local-wise?

No they don't do business down there. Just want to venture out a little to say I saw the city. Just don't want to get lost!

We have to go to a wedding this week in Cancun. I really don't need to be going but it's the buyer for our biggest customer. I mean there certainly is worse things to be doing. We have the worst flights leaving SF at 12.55am Wednesday morning!! Ouch. The worst part is we get to Mexico City at about 7 am local time and we have to wait 7 hours for our connection. I'm definitely going to try to get a earlier flight out of there when we arrive but in the event we can't, what is there to do fairly close to the Airport to kill some time without getting into trouble? Ive never been there so I have no idea.

I recommend you stay in the airport. Jaurez Airport has restaurants, bars, shops aplenty. There's plenty there to while away the time. 7 hours is quite a time - so drink, but don't fall asleep and miss the connecting flight! :sick:

Most recent warning:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_mexico.html

Today's State Dept. issuance. Be careful where you walk around in Mexico. Don't go roaming around for "yucks" and learn about the Mexico culture on your own. Get on a bus tour if that's what you want to do.

The first thing I would do is change to a new friggin travel agent!

My wife has been handling the flight so I'm not really sure what the deal is. Our itinerary has changed 3 times though. Never even had it happened once before. Weird.

Also Cincy. Thanks for the tip and link. I think we will stay put.

Whatever you do, don't drink the water.

Orange juice in the morning. Corona/Dos Equis/Pacifico during the day. Hope they have nice limes there. I suppose they do with the good climate. :)

Take it from someone who travels more than George Clooney in "Up In The Air". Gut out the boredom and stay in the airport.

Here's what you DON'T need - a 2-hour sightseeing trip in a place you don't know that turns into a gut-wrenching pit-sweated panic-stricken dash through Mexico City traffic (hah-hah-that's-a-joke-there-is-no-such-thing-as-DASH-in-Mexico-City-traffic) as you try desperately to get back to the airport only to THEN have to deal with the particle-physicists manning the security checkpoint, all of whom are looking for a Yanqui sucka like you...

Find a quiet corner. Get a book. Buy an inflatable pillow and curl up on the floor. None of these options suck as bad as the scenario I've outlined above. Trust me - you'll get back to Mexico City someday.