Another reason I find baseball to be a little silly.

Mike and Mike were talking about an unwritten rule in baseball today. Evidently the rule is that a player should never try to bunt onto base during a no hit game for a pitcher. :thumbsup: It's disrespectful for the other team to try and win?! B-)

WTF? They aren't supposed to try to win a game because the other team has a great game going? In football the only unwritten rule I know of is that you never intentionally injure an opponent. Baseball doesn't seem to have that rule given the number of times pitchers throw at guys.

I can't imagine a QB going into the fourth quarter of a game without missing a pass and then getting pissed off because the CB's kept trying to force incompletions. That guy would be looked at like he had four chickens on his shoulders.

Supposedly there are a lot more unwritten rules of the game that they didn't mention.

Link

The closest the Rays got to a hit was Jason Bartlett’s liner to third leading off the game. Evan Longoria tried to bunt leading off the fifth, drawing boos from the small crowd.

:sick: What are the odds of the other team making a hit in a game with four innings left?

Mike and Mike were talking about an unwritten rule in baseball today. Evidently the rule is that a player should never try to bunt onto base during a no hit game for a pitcher. :sick: It's disrespectful for the other team to try and win?! :wacko:

WTF? They aren't supposed to try to win a game because the other team has a great game going? In football the only unwritten rule I know of is that you never intentionally injure an opponent. Baseball doesn't seem to have that rule given the number of times pitchers throw at guys.

I can't imagine a QB going into the fourth quarter of a game without missing a pass and then getting pissed off because the CB's kept trying to force incompletions. That guy would be looked at like he had four chickens on his shoulders.

Supposedly there are a lot more unwritten rules of the game that they didn't mention.

The "unwritten rule" is indeed very stupid...but don't paint the whole sport that way, because there are many many many fans and players who disagree that it should be an unwritten rule.

This game, in particular, was a close game. 4-0. Plenty of teams have come back from 4 runs down in the late innings, so if a player felt that bunting was his best opportunity to reach base, then he should have bunted.

Now, if the score was something like 15-0 in the 9th inning, and a guy bunted just for the satisfaction of breaking up the perfect game...that would've been more than a little douchey and spiteful.

Link

The closest the Rays got to a hit was Jason Bartlett's liner to third leading off the game. Evan Longoria tried to bunt leading off the fifth, drawing boos from the small crowd.

:sick: What are the odds of the other team making a hit in a game with four innings left?

I could see the boos if it was the ninth inning, but ridiculous in the 5th.

Baseball has a lot of such unwritten rules; many are indeed silly but they also contribute to the character of the game.

The "unwritten rule" is indeed very stupid...but don't paint the whole sport that way, because there are many many many fans and players who disagree that it should be an unwritten rule.

This game, in particular, was a close game. 4-0. Plenty of teams have come back from 4 runs down in the late innings, so if a player felt that bunting was his best opportunity to reach base, then he should have bunted.

Now, if the score was something like 15-0 in the 9th inning, and a guy bunted just for the satisfaction of breaking up the perfect game...that would've been more than a little douchey and spiteful.

Agree on all counts........I thought Schilling was being an ahole when he went ballistic when somebody tried to bunt on him in a 2-0 game.

I don't give a crap what the score is. In a football game, which is a timed event, I could see something similar being disrespectful but baseball is not a timed event and any team that rolls over, ever, is a sad team IMO.

Baseball has a lot of such unwritten rules; many are indeed silly but they also contribute to the character of the game.

Throwing the game isn't a good character thing.

Here's an article from last week no the subject. Palmer, Blyleven & Gossage discuss the topic of Baseball's Unwritten Rules.

Thanks!

that's why they're unwritten! :sick:

jw

:lol:

Whatever happened to the unwritten rule about you showing up in threads before checking with me? :wacko:

It was the Athletics crowd, of course they're gonna boo.

I don't give a crap what the score is. In a football game, which is a timed event, I could see something similar being disrespectful but baseball is not a timed event and any team that rolls over, ever, is a sad team IMO.

Oh yeah, not bunting is rolling over. Nice strawman.

Nobody would ever suggest that the batter should intentionally try to make an out, but trying to collect a cheap hit instead of putting together an at-bat and trying to make solid contact IN A BLOWOUT for the sole purpose of ruining the guy's accomplishment is douchey.

All sports are pretty silly if you look hard enough. The silliest thing about baseball is the old overweight managers having to wear the same exact uniforms as the players. The silliest thing about football is the ref having to speak to the crowd with a microphone to explain whatever convoluted ruling just took place. The silliest thing about soccer is the fake crying and rolling around on the ground and then promptly hopping off the stretcher right back into the game. The silliest thing about hockey is that they wear shorts.

Mike and Mike were talking about an unwritten rule in baseball today. Evidently the rule is that a player should never try to bunt onto base during a no hit game for a pitcher. :wacko: It's disrespectful for the other team to try and win?! :lol:

This thread = another reason I find YOU to be silly! :sick:

Or how about the "that's close enough" phantom touching of second base when trying to complete a double play. second baseman catches the ball,(doesn't really touch second) and tosses it to first for a double play. :sick:

#3 is the stupidest rule ever, I can't believe they still enforce it. The Bills have lost many a game because of it.

would that be the rule saying that if you begin the game with an inferior roster, emotionless head coach and inept gameplan that you are likely to lose?

i question the logic behind unwritten rule 6, though i find much of these rules illegible at best.

jw

#3 is the stupidest rule ever, I can't believe they still enforce it. The Bills have lost many a game because of it.

Sure, bash me for not posting the unwritten rules. But do either of you offer any constructive criticism? No, no you do not. The lengths that some people here go to in order to belittle someone else is beyond comprehension.

Wawrow...rule #6 clearly states that if a team is up by 17 or more points in the fourth quarter with less than 7 minutes to playthey will not throw on first down. To do so is to risk your QB to catastrophic injury by an all out blitz on the very next play.

J Jack...Say, aren't you two the ones that are moving in together? That's just sick.

Sure, bash me for not posting the unwritten rules. But do either of you offer any constructive criticism? No, no you do not. The lengths that some people here go to in order to belittle someone else is beyond comprehension.

Wawrow...rule #6 clearly states that if a team is up by 17 or more points in the fourth quarter with less than 7 minutes to playthey will not throw on first down. To do so is to risk your QB to catastrophic injury by an all out blitz on the very next play.

oh, sorry, must have misread it.

J Jack...Say, aren't you two the ones that are moving in together? That's just sick.

why, is there some unwritten rule preventing that from happening?

jw