Beerball brought up the point...

I am not sure exactly what the situation over at obd, but I am a coach, and in early season practice use a ton of even line ups so that the lower guys can get up to speed. My assumption is that they are trying to build a group of guys not 4 line backers.

For the millionth time, Maybin was on the first team.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something else that's lost in all this much ado about Maybin.

In college, he was a DL, never dropped back into coverage, never had to or trained to...

As a pure pass rusher in the Tampa 2, 4-3, he clearly didn't do all that well in that role, but we never asked him to play in space either.

Now comes the 3-4 and a whole new crew, and he's got a shot at redemption as an OLB. But he's learning on the job and this will be the 1st full offseason that he's had to learn the that position. Last year at this time, ugly!

So if he's not 1st team at the rookie camp, maybe he'll get a lil bit better as he gets more experience.

ADD: I realize labeling him as a project covers this in a broad stroke.

Aaron Maybin: Reason number 5,214,931 why DJ sucked.

Kid is a project, and I'm glad he's at mini-camp. Maybe the staff is making him realize that the HC who picked him isn't around and there aren't any free-passes, nor should he plan on starting.

Maybe he should plan on starting his car for the ride out of town.

In college, he was a DL, never dropped back into coverage, never had to or trained to...

As a pure pass rusher in the Tampa 2, 4-3, he clearly didn't do all that well in that role, but we never asked him to play in space either.

Now comes the 3-4 and a whole new crew, and he's got a shot at redemption as an OLB. But he's learning on the job and this will be the 1st full offseason that he's had to learn the that position. Last year at this time, ugly!

So if he's not 1st team at the rookie camp, maybe he'll get a lil bit better as he gets more experience.

Again, he was on the first team....

The guy was considered a 1-2 year project coming out of college, so I think we have to wait until next year to see if he can become any kind of player.

But right now, the Maybin pick is looking to be one of the worst (if not the worst) draft pick in the history of the franchise.

Oh, you must be very young, my friend.

Edit: Here are some wonders of the past taken in 1st round by Buffalo (except Nelson who was 2nd):

1975 Tom Rudd, Bob Nelson

1977 Phil Dokes

1979 Tom Cousineau

1981 Booker Moore

1982 Perry Tuttle

1983 Tony Hunter

1990 James Williams

1992 John Fina (he was OK, but 1st round?)

1997 Antowain Smith

2000 Erik Flowers

2002 Mike Williams

Maybin is in attendance. All first and second year players can attend "voluntarily."

I thought in fact that Maybin had tweeted how excited he was to be attending…could be wrong.

But he was on the official list of players participating and I believe Beerball said that he saw him in the video on the Bills' site.

So I'm pretty damn sure that he's there.

I'm pretty shocked that people are dismissive of the fact that the 11th overall pick in last year's draft is taking snaps behind a 6th round pick and an undrafted rookie.

Too early? I just don't know about that. Very few things are devoid of meaning here. Gailey has implied that the top three QBs in OTAs will be brought to camp. The top three. The Bills have 4 QBs.

This is not a picnic in the park. There is competition for jobs going on as we speak.

Don't you think the media covering the Bills Training camp would be mentioning that the 11th overall pick last year is taking 2nd and 3rd string snaps in rookie minicamp? So you can't believe we aren't going ballistic because of a report by Beerball? Which most of us didn't read. I come on here everyday, several times a day, and didn't read Beerball's comment. You don't even know it to be true. You're not entirely sure Maybin is there, you are saying "So I'm pretty damn sure that he's there." And you want all of us to be alarmed about what again?

It's not lost on everyone. It's just against the rules to keep posting the same thing ad nauseum. :unsure:

Some of this has been discussed a bit before, and some of it is just a theory of mine, but I don't think any of the above matters for numerous reasons...

1] There may be one or two college teams in the entire nation that play a 3-4, so every single DE or LB coming out of college and into the pros has to learn the 3-4 OLB position from scratch.

2] The Bills are, obviously changing from a 4-3 to a 3-4 so all of the ends and linebackers are learning completely new positions, duties, terminologies, assignments, etc. Maybin is one of the few players on the team with the same coach he had last year (along with Schobel, Ellis, Kelsay and the secondary)

3] Even if Maybin or anyone else moving from college to pro played the position before, the professional game is SO different, they are pretty much learning from scratch anyway. Most all angles you take in the pros are going to be different because the game is so much faster. So "dropping back in coverage" even to a guy that did it for four years in the SEC is a completely different experience in the NFL with the QBs, RBs, and WRs, etc. Shedding blocks are taught different (depending on the coach). So it's not as huge a disadvantage for Maybin, simply because they're all at a disadvantage. It's a quantum leap for anyone.

4] All "playing in space" is completely different from college "playing in space", and it must be taught, learned, practiced, and mastered. It's almost better for some of these coaches to mold raw players to their liking than it is to try to break these guys of old habits they learned that may have worked before but won't work here or we want you to do it differently.

5] Different coaches coach differently, with different styles. They want guys to say, drop back in coverage a certain way, after certain reads, on specific players. Again, whatever these guys did in college at a LB position, even coverage, is going to be drastically different in the pros. And it's like starting from scratch for all of them.

6] Smart football players, with smart football knowledge, with good football instincts, pick things up so much faster than players who are not so smart, and/or without good football instinct. We really have no idea what Maybin is like in that area yet. We do know he's a hard worker.

Don't you think the media covering the Bills Training camp would be mentioning that the 11th overall pick last year is taking 2nd and 3rd string snaps in rookie minicamp? So you can't believe we aren't going ballistic because of a report by Beerball? Which most of us didn't read. I come on here everyday, several times a day, and didn't read Beerball's comment. You don't even know it to be true. You're not entirely sure Maybin is there, you are saying "So I'm pretty damn sure that he's there." And you want all of us to be alarmed about what again?

Maybin was on the first team.

is taking 2nd team snaps…behind 6th round pick Danny Batten and undrafted free agent Antonio Coleman.

Many people here are hopeful and/or predicting that Maybin will experience instant success as a rush linebacker in our new 3-4 scheme.

He was our first round draft pick last year.

Snide "bust" comments notwithstanding, isn't this more than a bit alarming that Maybin is taking snaps behind a 6th round draft pick and an undrafted free agent?!?!?

Maybe they're trying to light a fire under his ass. Either that or they think more highly of the other two players. There's not too many possible explanations out there.

Can someone clarify this? I thought he was taking 1st team snaps and was thought to be the starting OLB....

Funny to look back at pre-draft combine analysis-

"Maybin stock is up"

"Byrd's stock is down"

These guys don't know what the hell they're talking about:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/11588632

Sure they do. When it comes to the draft, it's "watch what I do, not what I say." That's why so many fans are shocked when guys get drafted higher or lower than where the 'buzz' said they should...