Mosque coming to Ground Zero

Although I have no desire to move, as I couldn't be happier living anywhere other than the GREAT state of New Mexico, I would have no fear of going to Germany at all.

As far as stereotyping, I haven't done that- although some of my hypotheticals my have created that confusion. I have met many christians that I like and dislike, and none of those feelings towards them were based on religion

And I am sure that many people from a Jewish family might SAY the same thing. But, when it actually comes to DOING it, the results speak for themselves = Jews don't live in Germany. And again, I don't blame them.

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jews are not currently living in Germany for the very same reason, being uncomfortable, that people in NYC don't want this Mosque built so close to Ground 0.

To clarify again, it is not a Mosque with a dome, minarets, and robed men with AK47s. It is a Muslim community center with a pool, classrooms with a kitchen, day care, and prayer rooms, based on the design of the Manhattan Jewish community center, which supports the project. Are they going to use the pool to practice underwater demolition? Use the kitchen to teach Muslims how to make yellow cake?

Mayor Bloomberg (Jewish) and a majority of Manhattan residents support the plan. The opposition increases as you move farther away from the actual area, and farther away from facts and closer to rhetoric. And here I thought conservatives were for more local control and less outside interference.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/03/nyregion/03poll.html

To clarify again, it is not a Mosque with a dome, minarets, and robed men with AK47s. It is a Muslim community center with a pool, classrooms with a kitchen, day care, and prayer rooms, based on the design of the Manhattan Jewish community center, which supports the project. Are they going to use the pool to practice underwater demolition? Use the kitchen to teach Muslims how to make yellow cake?

Mayor Bloomberg (Jewish) and a majority of Manhattan residents support the plan. The opposition increases as you move farther away from the actual area, and farther away from facts and closer to rhetoric. And here I thought conservatives were for more local control and less outside interference.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/03/nyregion/03poll.html

Yes, they are divided...and 2/3 of NYC people don't want it built in that location. So, because 100% don't want it...only 66%, that means that the opposition increases as you get farther away? The last national poll I saw said 70%...so yes, that is correct...by 4% more... :rolleyes:

From your article:

“Freedom of religion is one of the guarantees we give in this country, so they are free to worship where they chose,” Mr. Merton said. “I just think it’s very bad manners on their part to be so insensitive as to put a mosque in that area.”

Again, this is about decency, not rights. The decent thing to do is find a compromise. They are well withing their rights to be D-bags. And, nobody is disputing their rights to be D-bags. But, being a D-bag usually means that other people get to be D-bags too. We'll see how much they enjoy 66% of NYC being D-bags. We'll see what happens when you give NYC people a free license to have "very bad manners". :devil:

The 71 year old man is right: everything is not black and white and it's hysterical that the same people who are always demanding relativism on every single other issue are suddenly being extremely rigid on this. I wonder where that rigidity is, for example, when we talk about the rest of the Constitution.

Yes, they are divided...and 2/3 of NYC people don't want it built in that location. So, because 100% don't want it...only 66%, that means that the opposition increases as you get farther away? The last national poll I saw said 70%...so yes, that is correct...by 4% more...

Look at the details. The majority of people in Manhattan, the area directly affected, support the plans. The majority of opposition is from other boroughs outside Manhattan, and people who live outside NYC who still incorrectly refer to the planned building as a Mosque.

Yes, they are divided...and 2/3 of NYC people don't want it built in that location. So, because 100% don't want it...only 66%, that means that the opposition increases as you get farther away? The last national poll I saw said 70%...so yes, that is correct...by 4% more... :rolleyes:

From your article:

“Freedom of religion is one of the guarantees we give in this country, so they are free to worship where they chose,” Mr. Merton said. “I just think it’s very bad manners on their part to be so insensitive as to put a mosque in that area.”

Again, this is about decency, not rights. The decent thing to do is find a compromise. They are well withing their rights to be D-bags. And, nobody is disputing their rights to be D-bags. But, being a D-bag usually means that other people get to be D-bags too. We'll see how much they enjoy 66% of NYC being D-bags. We'll see what happens when you give NYC people a free license to have "very bad manners". :devil:

The 71 year old man is right: everything is not black and white and it's hysterical that the same people who are always demanding relativism on every single other issue are suddenly being extremely rigid on this. I wonder where that rigidity is, for example, when we talk about the rest of the Constitution.

I can't speak for anyone other myself on the rigidity of the interpretation on the Constitution- the wonderful democrats and republicans have ruined it beyond repair by situationally applying what they want to.

In their fear, the people of NY have attributed "Muslim" to the terrorists, instead of idiots. I never attributed "Christian" to the people who mistreated me in school- they were simply children raised by idiots, who should have had their kids taken away, since they didn't know how to raise them correctly. I still laugh that they claim that Jews don't believe in god......since Jews actually worshiped God first.....lol

Look at the details. The majority of people in Manhattan, the area directly affected, support the plans. The majority of opposition is from other boroughs outside Manhattan, and people who live outside NYC who still incorrectly refer to the planned building as a Mosque.

Is it really necessary for me to explain that the people who died in those buildings lived all over the place? Are you telling us that unless you are d-bag limousine liberal from the upper west side, your opinion is less important? :rolleyes:

What the hell is your point? The opinion of a widow who lives in Queens whose fireman husband died is not as important as some Manhattan dilettante who has never worked a day in his life thanks to daddy?

Yeah, liberals aren't completely f'ing out of touch, and yeah, they don't think that "know better" than the rest of us...PastaJoe's post proves it! :wallbash::rolleyes:

Is it really necessary for me to explain that the people who died in those buildings lived all over the place? Are you telling us that unless you are d-bag limousine liberal from the upper west side, your opinion is less important? :rolleyes:

What the hell is your point? The opinion of a widow who lives in Queens whose fireman husband died is not as important as some Manhattan dilettante who has never worked a day in his life thanks to daddy?

Yeah, liberals aren't completely f'ing out of touch, and yeah, they don't think that "know better" than the rest of us...PastaJoe's post proves it! :wallbash::rolleyes:

Because I was jumped by 5 kids in elementary school, I now have a fear of all human beings- hey, they were human after all, and I don't want anymore broken bones. I don't want any humans living near me. I have that right.......They can live 14 blocks away from me

I can't speak for anyone other myself on the rigidity of the interpretation on the Constitution- the wonderful democrats and republicans have ruined it beyond repair by situationally applying what they want to.

In their fear, the people of NY have attributed "Muslim" to the terrorists, instead of idiots. I never attributed "Christian" to the people who mistreated me in school- they were simply children raised by idiots, who should have had their kids taken away, since they didn't know how to raise them correctly. I still laugh that they claim that Jews don't believe in god......since Jews actually worshiped God first.....lol

But the point continues to be: Christians bothered you, and you have been in your own words, "wary of Christians" since. I don't have a problem with that either.

For the record, F those little Cartman tools who bothered you. I had a similar childhood experience, but this was directly due to f-tard liberal policies....so I have been "wary of liberals" ever since :D

Because I was jumped by 5 kids in elementary school, I now have a fear of all human beings- hey, they were human after all, and I don't want anymore broken bones. I don't want any humans living near me. I have that right.......They can live 14 blocks away from me

I thought you said you live in New Mexico...so...aren't people living 14 blocks away from you anyway? :P

But the point continues to be: Christians bothered you, and you have been in your own words, "wary of Christians" since. I don't have a problem with that either.

For the record, F those little Cartman tools who bothered you. I had a similar childhood experience, but this was directly due to f-tard liberal policies....so I have been "wary of liberals" ever since :D

I thought you said you live in New Mexico...so...aren't people living 14 blocks away from you anyway? :P

I blame the kids' parents a lot more than I blame them- I am not really wary over christians, I was using an analogy to contrast people who fear muslims because of what the terrorists did. I really don't worry about any group of people- I am very unlikely to encounter many terrorists in a town of 17,000 in a remote part of N.M.

And for the record- the incident I mentioned happened at Heim Elementary, in Williamsville, N.Y.

I blame the kids' parents a lot more than I blame them- I am not really wary over christians, I was using an analogy to contrast people who fear muslims because of what the terrorists did. I really don't worry about any group of people- I am very unlikely to encounter many terrorists in a town of 17,000 in a remote part of N.M.

And for the record- the incident I mentioned happened at Heim Elementary, in Williamsville, N.Y.

So even though I was kidding, I was right, you do live 14 blocks away from people. :D

The problem is somehow the word "uncomfortable" has been replaced by "fear". They don't mean the same things, but somehow somebody has decided that they do.

If girls who tell me that they want to teabag me outside a punk bar in South Philly make me uncomfortable, that doesn't mean I fear them. If guys who decide to grab my junk in a bar in Downtown Pittsburgh make me angry and I squish them, clearly, I don't I fear them, I merely have self-respect. If Jets fans won't STFU when I watch a Bills away game, and I decide to change seats, so as to avoid squishing them and ending up in jail, that's because I fear jail, not the squishy Jets fans.

Fearing any of these people would be irrational, and yes, might even point to me having psychological problems. The problem for the people who think "uncomfortable" = "fear" is, I don't fear any of these people, and in most cases they amuse me, except for the junk-grabbing guy. They all simply make me uncomfortable, and are keeping me from what I am trying to do: drinking and watching a band, drinking and hitting on women, drinking and watching an away Bills game. I do fear people who try to get in the way of my drinking, however. They ARE scary :D

Hardly anybody "fears" these Muslims or their Mosque, so calling people "Islamaphobes" is ridiculous. Instead, people are trying to get on with their lives, and they don't need a constant reminder of what happened on 9/11, keeping them from what they are trying to do.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

So even though I was kidding, I was right, you do live 14 blocks away from people. :D

The problem is somehow the word "uncomfortable" has been replaced by "fear". They don't mean the same things, but somehow somebody has decided that they do.

If girls who tell me that they want to teabag me outside a punk bar in South Philly make me uncomfortable, that doesn't mean I fear them. If guys who decide to grab my junk in a bar in Downtown Pittsburgh make me angry and I squish them, clearly, I don't I fear them, I merely have self-respect. If Jets fans won't STFU when I watch a Bills away game, and I decide to change seats, so as to avoid squishing them and ending up in jail, that's because I fear jail, not the squishy Jets fans.

Fearing any of these people would be irrational, and yes, might even point to me having psychological problems. The problem for the people who think "uncomfortable" = "fear" is, I don't fear any of these people, and in most cases they amuse me, except for the junk-grabbing guy. They all simply make me uncomfortable, and are keeping me from what I am trying to do: drinking and watching a band, drinking and hitting on women, drinking and watching an away Bills game. I do fear people who try to get in the way of my drinking, however. They ARE scary :D

Hardly anybody "fears" these Muslims or their Mosque, so calling people "Islamaphobes" is ridiculous. Instead, people are trying to get on with their lives, and they don't need a constant reminder of what happened on 9/11, keeping them from what they are trying to do.

Wow, so you freely admit you have problems wherever you go.

Wow, so you freely admit you have problems wherever you go.

You still looking for my attention, child? Add value to this thread or piss off. Nobody needs wants to see this crap, and I STILL don't care that you were a bartender, or whatever is the cause of your pissant crusade.

No...its fear. Fear this will be seen as a victory mosque. Fear that this Imam is not on the up and up which it seems to me more and more the case, his developer too.

Its not all fear, but some is there.

Mark Styn (sp?) did say it best though...If there was a 100 story tower BACK at Ground Zero by now, nobody would really give a **** about some piss-ant 13 story mosque. Remember that joke that went around that had the twin towers being rebuilt in the shape of a middle finger? Problem is, to many, this mosque, shadowing a still-empty Ground Zero it just that. To US.

I really cant wait for Joe, Tom and all the slobs crying "religius freedom!!!!" to get their panties wet and start whining next time some receptionist at DMV utters Merry Christmas....or one of them drives down a road in Alabama and complains "there are too many churches"...or just generally whines about how stupid "ALL those Christians" are.

Edited by RkFast

One more thing I love about so many libs.

They have spent months.....MONTHS looking for ONE protest sign..ONE word uttered that proves that "ALL.....ALL.....ALL" Tea Party folks are RACIST. Yet, you throw out there example after example of Muslim extremism and they puke up that "small minority" bull **** every time.

One more thing I love about so many libs.

They have spent months.....MONTHS looking for ONE protest sign..ONE word uttered that proves that "ALL.....ALL.....ALL" Tea Party folks are RACIST. Yet, you throw out there example after example of Muslim extremism and they puke up that "small minority" bull **** every time.

This is why you and Bharami98 had a little dust-up. He is no doubt a peaceful family guy who happens to be Muslim. My guess is that the vast, vast majority of Muslims would never perpetrate a terrorist act. With that said there are enough of them that would. His belief, because of his standards, is that any acts are isolated acts. Your belief (and mine too) is that there are a lot of Muslims that would commit a terrorist act and even more that condone those acts. It also seems that the mainstream Muslims (generally speaking) shy away from condemning those acts. The liberal media may also be at fault here by not reporting any condemnations. Regardless, when the GZ Imam who is all about building "bridges" refuses to label Hamas as a terrorist organization and claims that we are complicit in 9/11 and created Osama Bin Laden, something doesn't add up. Could they be keeping silent out of fear of reprisals? I think that is a distinct possibility. There is also the possibility that we don't understand each other's cultures very well. You see an act of terror and immediately think "jihadist". He sees your reaction and is immediately offended because the vast, vast majority of Muslims would never be a part of it. You cry out gd f'n fundamentalist Islamic terrorist pigs and he responds with an equal epithat about the crusades. You and I are very wary of Muslims because of the acts of a small percentage of them. With the amount of Muslims in the world even 1% can add up to a lot though. He is offended by us because we are using a rather broad brush to paint Islam. For the sake of a little harmony we could do better by just calling them terrorists and not describing them as Muslim. I suppose though, that the next time a building blows up or a plane is brought down I'll be right there with you calling them gd f'n fundamentalist Islamic terrorist pigs. That is what they are. But that is not what BHarami98 and the vast, vast majority of Muslims are.

disclaimer: my copious use of "he" does not refer to only Bharami98. It is intended to represent the vast, vast majority of peaceful Muslims.

Mark Styn (sp?) did say it best though...If there was a 100 story tower BACK at Ground Zero by now, nobody would really give a **** about some piss-ant 13 story mosque. Remember that joke that went around that had the twin towers being rebuilt in the shape of a middle finger? Problem is, to many, this mosque, shadowing a still-empty Ground Zero it just that. To US.

And are the Muslims the reason for the delay in building that 100-story tower, or usual NY politics, which got more complicated with dozens of victims family groups?

Again, they have absolutely no problem with construction equipment and sewage spilling all over the sacred site in the last 9 yrs, but G-d forbid there's a mosque 2-4 blocks away, depending on how you count.