New Vikings stadium defeated in state committee

sounds horrible. if they were to move,I would hope Minn would keep the name, like the Browns did.

Vikings in LA make no sense. then again, I dont think there was Rams in SoCal either.

It would be ironic if LA ever got the Vikings. That would be the second pro sports team they stole from Minneapolis as the Lakers came from there as well. I hope the Vikes stay where they are.

GO BILLS!!!

Good for the citizens of Minnesota. That stadium they got is only 25 years old.

Now it needs to be replaced? If the Yikes want a new stadium so bad, let them build it.

This the part of pro sports I really don't like. Why in heaven's name do you need a super mondo techie fancy stadium to play football in? Then the average Joe Schmuck fan can't afford tickets. Lame.

I don't get the rush for a new stadium either. I think in 2-3 years the Vikes will get their new bid in hopefully they and the NFL put in more money and the tax payers are more willing. After all Minny just built a new baseball stadium for the Twins they aren't in any rush to build a 800 million plus football stadium.

I also agree that these new stadiums really price out the average fan. Why spend close to or over a billion dollars for a stadium that is only going to be used 10-12 times a year (8 home games, 2 pre-season games, and possibly 2 playoff games)? It makes no sense why football stadiums which are used far less then Arenas (NBA/NHL alone fill up 82 dates plus playoffs as well as concerts, circus, and other acts some arenas hold well over 150 dates) and Base Ball fields (82 home dates plus playoffs and concerts most get close to a 100 dates) cost a lot more to build.

All in all its football its suppose to be a blue collar game so there isn't a state of the art cigar bar you are there to watch football that should be the draw.

Good for the citizens of Minnesota. That stadium they got is only 25 years old.

Now it needs to be replaced? If the Yikes want a new stadium so bad, let them build it.

This the part of pro sports I really don't like. Why in heaven's name do you need a super mondo techie fancy stadium to play football in? Then the average Joe Schmuck fan can't afford tickets. Lame.

+100000

The NFL makes how many billions a year in revenue? Build your own damn stadiums, then maintain your own damned stadiums. Government money should not be funding stadiums for pro sports who turn BILLIONS in revenue.

Lets get real, these stadiums are used 10 times a year. 8 home games, 2 pre season, and that it if you odnt make the playoffs. What the hell does it need to be so nice for?

The Ralph is perfect. Nice turf field, big score board, decent seats, and GREAT site lines. Better than any of the other stadiums I have been to - including the Pats, Ravens, and Penn St. Let Jerry Jones have his 90,000 square foot mega tron TV that get hit by punts and his obstructed view seats, Ill take the Ralph every day of the week. (please get more bathrooms though and shelves in the urninals for my beer cause its hard to get out mr winkie is full suit Carharts with a beer in hand)

If the Lakers can move from Minneapolis & keep their name, why not the Vikings? Ditto for the New Orleans Jazz now known as the Utah Jazz. Where are all those Rams in Cleveland? The only franchise that moved to a more appropriate city & kept its name that I can think of is when the San Diego Rockets moved to Houston. The Browns didn't keep the name in St Louis, they moved to Baltimore & became the Orioles, & St. Louis never reclaimed the name Browns.:doh: .

And the New York Yankees moved from Baltimore.

Hamilton County OH is broke. They betted on ever-increasing sales tax revenues to service the bonds. They had to close the county jail last lear, letting several hundred back out on the streets. The sales tax increase of 0.5% to fund the thing had a property tax reduction. That's about to go by the wayside (Hamilton County, along with Franklin (Columbus) and Cuyahoga (Cleveland) are roughly double the other counties in the State.

The County Commissioner back when who was the prime proponent has been employed by the B'gals for years - hefty salary.

The contract is extremely one-sided. A couple of tidbits:

- If attendance falls before a certain level, the taxpayers are obligated to pay the owner for lost revenue.

- If a certain percentage of teams make improvements (such as RWS' recent jumbotron upgrade), the taxpayers must pay to outfit the stadium.

- The club was sued at least twice - fraudulent seating charts that resulted in folks forking over higher PSL money for poorer seats, and trying to make folks pay for 10 years of season tickets if they decided to give up their seats.

- The taxpayers are responsible for maintaining the facility. The owner's responsibility is...the field. Some might recall the first few years of the stadiums' operation - and its' terrible cow-pasture of a field.

I lived in a different county at the time the vote took place. Had I been in Hamilton County, I would have voted no. But as we know, folks without any skin in the game are always happy to have others pay.