Ten days now, since the off-shore rig fire

Haliburton :thumbsup:

Further proof that this must be the fault of George W Bush

Actually, it is the fault of the original GW- George Washington, himself. He created several constitutional loopholes that allowed this mess to happen

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We shall see. This is a !@#$ up of epic proportions, someone will go down for this in a big way. BP, Halliburton? Mind you, I want someone to go down if this could have been prevented. If it couldn't have been prevented they go scot free. However, if there is no way to prevent this, off-shore drilling dies.

Given that 30% of our oil comes from the Gulf Coast offshore rigs, I doubt there will be any significant change in policy. Sure, BP is responsible for paying for the clean-up, and they previously documented that they could handle even a greater sized accident, but when drilling a mile below the surface, it's going to be an imperfect science. Just like mining has been for as long as it's been done.

Hopefully the end result will be more scrutiny on the failsafe systems and ability to minimize damage in the future. Unfortunately there's not much we currently have available to contain an oil spill of this size in bad weather. As long as the profit and economic benefit outweigh the costs, offshore drilling will continue.

Given that 30% of our oil comes from the Gulf Coast offshore rigs, I doubt there will be any significant change in policy. Sure, BP is responsible for paying for the clean-up, and they previously documented that they could handle even a greater sized accident, but when drilling a mile below the surface, it's going to be an imperfect science. Just like mining has been for as long as it's been done.

Hopefully the end result will be more scrutiny on the failsafe systems and ability to minimize damage in the future. Unfortunately there's not much we currently have available to contain an oil spill of this size in bad weather. As long as the profit and economic benefit outweigh the costs, offshore drilling will continue.

The problem with the benefits and costs analysis is they don't calculate the true cost and they don't calculate the true benefit. Sad.

This could end up worse than anyone could imagine. This nation's leaders can be real sickening sometimes.

"who were the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers! God's away, God's away, God's away on business" Tom Waits

I agree with this, there now needs to be even more scrutiny regarding the fail safe systems that the drilling companies are using. I'm not one for over regulation, but in this case, this spill illustrates that it needs to be done.

Is there a free market solution to cleaning up this oil mess or is it socialim to the rescue again? :thumbsup:

Perhaps a tax cut on oil spills will do the trick? Eh?

Maybe what we need is the creation of a new federal oversight committee comprised of union donors who know nothing about drilling for oil, but who can then help draft legislation stating that if one more drop of oil is spilled, be it crude, peanut, canola or olive, the government can take over all the oil companies.

Because that's how freaking stupid this administration really is. They won't sleep until they own BP and Wesson.

This is actually a rational post. Are you feeling ok? :rolleyes:

I agree with this, there now needs to be even more scrutiny regarding the fail safe systems that the drilling companies are using. I'm not one for over regulation, but in this case, this spill illustrates that it needs to be done.

A conservative who isn't completely against regulation- we have to get people out there to cover this up. Nobody should know about this!! :rolleyes:

Oil in the gulf

Nashville is underwater

Tornadoes in Mississippi

Terrorists are trying to attack us

Iran is making threats

For a second, I thought you were a different poster, getting ready to warn about the coming apocalypse.

(And really, what is it with you and the tornado obsession? Did your mom read Oz to you too many times as a kid?)

Mike FEMA Brown is accusing Obama for allowing the oil to hit the coast so that he (Obama) can use it as an excuse to stop drilling for oil.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/05/05/bro...pill/index.html?

Former FEMA director Michael Brown is not backing off his charge that the Obama administration wants to use the Gulf Coast oil spill as a plot to put an end to offshore drilling.

His remarks came a day after he told Fox News' "Your World with Neil Cavuto" that the oil slick is "exactly what they want, because now he can pander to the environmentalists and say, 'I'm going to shut it down because it's too dangerous.' While Mexico and China and everybody else drills in the Gulf, we're going to get shut down."

Excuse me but didn't Obama just approve oil platforms of of the Virginia coast?

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=36850

Prior to addressing the Gulf disaster, the President found time to blast Wall Street and the governor of Arizona, advocate Earth Day awareness, meet with the Rev. Billy Graham, pitch racial politics in his weekly radio address, prepare his jokes for the White House Correspondents’ Dinner, make a racially divisive video to activate his political coalition for the 2010 election and hold an impromptu news conference on a range of topics. In this news conference, the President discussed everything from the Supreme Court to immigration, but did not mention the disaster in the Gulf.