For the Beer Geeks out there...Had some Pliny the Elder last night

The Poojer

every once in a while a bar near me gets some Pliny, both the elder and the younger....this bar had The Younger about a month ago, and they had people 'camped' out waiting for the place to open and it was gone within 20 minutes...2 days ago they tapped a keg of Elder, so a few of us shot over there yesterday....boy was it good. If you have never had it and you hear of it in your area...give it a try...its a great Pale Ale

i have had it and it doesn't compare at all to Pliny...of course not too many IPA's compare with the 2 Pliny's

Good beer scene up there in the Philly area eh Pooj. I believe you are in KOP, i know there is that decent brew pub on 202 as you head to KOP from Wilmington, but can't quite remember the name.

I keep begging the Mekong to get a sixtel at least of Pliny. That guy gets some unbelievable beers on tap for a Vietnamese restaurant in a strip mall in Richmond.He always has 7 taps going, and no Miller or Bud light to be found. Last time I was there he had Nectar, the 90 minute, Bells Oberon, Bells Two Hearted, Ranger IPA from Fat Tire folks, plus another Hef that i cannot remember. Plus he has like 200 bottled beers, with a ton of Belgium ales etc.

Kinda nice for something different , as the food is great and different than your typical brew pub fare. If you have never been, check it out next time you are in Richmond visiting your family. On West Broad between Willow Lawn and Parham

I like many beers and always like to try something new. One recent bottled favorite was McSorleys Irish Pale Ale.

It is good bottled beer but you HAVE to experience the pub in NY.

The bar is the main artery of the Old Ale House. You will notice no stools, standing room only (three deep at times) – the original taps, no longer in use. The old ice chest, houses sodas, the only drink other than ale permissible. You'll find no cash register at McSorley's – there's never been one and probably never will. A sign above states "We Trust Here" and shows a pig's behind! Above the bar, wishbones gather many generations worth of dust from their perch on the old gas lamp. Look closely and you'll spot an original wanted poster for Abe Lincoln's assassin as well as Babe Ruth's farewell photo from Yankee stadium (a donation from the photographer-a regular himself)

McSorley's Old Ale House est. 1854

Good beer scene up there in the Philly area eh Pooj. I believe you are in KOP, i know there is that decent brew pub on 202 as you head to KOP from Wilmington, but can't quite remember the name.

MacKenzies

Legit spot...especially when the weather is nice.

Im jealous Pooj. Pliny is my favorite, it's just a fantastic beer and the original double IPA. I met Vinnie from Russian River last year at the national homebrewers conference in Oakland...great guy. His family comes from a wine background and he barrel ages a lot of his beers in wine barrels. I believe the place you got Pliny is the only bar east of the Mississippi that carries it. Vinnie is a stickler about distributing his beers fresh, especially the highly hopped ones like Pliny. I attempted to brew a clone of Pliny a few years ago, it was close but not quite like the real deal. Here is a recent interview. I'm thirsty now... :lol:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/02/a-pint-...aster-beer.html

if you came close to cloning it, you should be proud, it really is a great beer....and there are a few bars in town that get the Pliny's...they are few and far between and tap out really fast....

Im jealous Pooj. Pliny is my favorite, it's just a fantastic beer and the original double IPA. I met Vinnie from Russian River last year at the national homebrewers conference in Oakland...great guy. His family comes from a wine background and he barrel ages a lot of his beers in wine barrels. I believe the place you got Pliny is the only bar east of the Mississippi that carries it. Vinnie is a stickler about distributing his beers fresh, especially the highly hopped ones like Pliny. I attempted to brew a clone of Pliny a few years ago, it was close but not quite like the real deal. Here is a recent interview. I'm thirsty now... :rolleyes:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/02/a-pint-...aster-beer.html

come on down here to Jamestown for some Southern Tier IPA!!! mmmmmmmmm

That is a damn fine IPA. Their Unearthly double IPA is good too, but I'd have to put it in the second tier of double IPA's with Great Divide Hercules and Dog Fish Head 90 minute. Pliny is just awesome.

I've been there a few times. My first time was in high school. I can attest to its awesomeness.

:)

Started off a bachelor party there. That was one hell of a night including a drunken cab ride and sleeping in a hotel hallway.