Accountability

The networks know that college football rating go up when the SEC, Big 12 and Big 10 are up and to some degree the Pac 10 with USC. The best players and the best games come within these conferences and even when a low end team like, for example, Indiana, Vanderbilt, or Baylor is playing; you will see some degree of talented football (Indiana may be a stretch).

I am not trying to criticize the draft choices but facts are facts with respect to small school and weaker conferences. They are second tier high school recruits and don't see the consistent competition week after week opposed to Tennessee for example or Auburn where it is tough every week.

I have to question a second team all conference as our second round pick no matter who he is based on his conference. If we did not already know who he was and we were to compared him to a second team SEC, who would we assume had more talent. Troy, Arkansas State, South Dakota State, a UConn player who did not start at the beginning of the season and would up having a good year, Central Florida are not major teams even in their conference. Five out of seven rounds are small school players. This tells me it is either feast or famine with this. Our scouts really watched what they were doing and really did their research or they completely overthought their picks and missed the boat completely.

Jerry Rice, Andre Reed, Phil Hansen and others I am sure have come from the 'other' schools and have been pretty darn good, but it seems to be more exception than rule.

I am not saying the guys from the smaller schools aren't as good because they may have more heart and focus but the degree to which they will have to step up to the competitive level in professional football will be greater than the players from the larger conferences.

The networks know that college football rating go up when the SEC, Big 12 and Big 10 are up and to some degree the Pac 10 with USC. The best players and the best games come within these conferences and even when a low end team like, for example, Indiana, Vanderbilt, or Baylor is playing; you will see some degree of talented football (Indiana may be a stretch).

I am not trying to criticize the draft choices but facts are facts with respect to small school and weaker conferences. They are second tier high school recruits and don't see the consistent competition week after week opposed to Tennessee for example or Auburn where it is tough every week.

I have to question a second team all conference as our second round pick no matter who he is based on his conference. If we did not already know who he was and we were to compared him to a second team SEC, who would we assume had more talent. Troy, Arkansas State, South Dakota State, a UConn player who did not start at the beginning of the season and would up having a good year, Central Florida are not major teams even in their conference. Five out of seven rounds are small school players. This tells me it is either feast or famine with this. Our scouts really watched what they were doing and really did their research or they completely overthought their picks and missed the boat completely.

Jerry Rice, Andre Reed, Phil Hansen and others I am sure have come from the 'other' schools and have been pretty darn good, but it seems to be more exception than rule.

I am not saying the guys from the smaller schools aren't as good because they may have more heart and focus but the degree to which they will have to step up to the competitive level in professional football will be greater than the players from the larger conferences.

Help me understand how this ties to accountability?

your point is interesting. I'mg oing to look through the HOFers and see how many went to "smaller" schools... i have a feeling you are on the wrong side of this argument.

your point is interesting. I'mg oing to look through the HOFers and see how many went to "smaller" schools... i have a feeling you are on the wrong side of this argument.

a quick scan of HOF members - 94 of 253 went to schools other then BCS (granted i did not see who was an owner, coach, but it should even out i'd think)...

Help me understand how this ties to accountability?

Nix and Chainey have to be accountable to this draft which is their very first draft. On a team like the Bills which is goiing to "build through the draft" solely, there is no room for error. Their fingerprints are all over this draft, which might end up being great, but they will be held fully accountable for this.

Nix and Chainey have to be accountable to this draft which is their very first draft. On a team like the Bills which is goiing to "build through the draft" solely, there is no room for error. Their fingerprints are all over this draft, which might end up being great, but they will be held fully accountable for this.

Well, they're going to be held fully accountable regardless of which colleges they drafted from. Right?

Andre Reed went to Kutztown State, which I don't think even is D-3. Fred Jackson is a D-3 prospect. John Randle, same deal. Jerry Rice, too. The only place I'd put stock into your theory is at the QB position. QBs need to come from premier programs.

Jerry Rice played Division I-AA. Andre Reed and John Randle played Division II. So yes, great players come from all levels of competition.

Andre Reed went to Kutztown State, which I don't think even is D-3. Fred Jackson is a D-3 prospect. John Randle, same deal. Jerry Rice, too. The only place I'd put stock into your theory is at the QB position. QBs need to come from premier programs.

Kutztown is DII.