Titans might have a Jason Peters problem...

LGB

Nice avoidance of that minor CBA issue on pay raises that was brought up, plus the simple fact that he has 3 years left on his contract.

Was more so making a commentary on the idea of 2000 yard seasons equate to players falling off. I didn't know about the CBA issue to be honest. I think age and getting close to the 400 carry mark equate more to falling off and injury rather then rushing for a bunch of yards in one season.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This behavior is not the kind of thing Bud Adams looks favorably upon. We're talking about a great back who is extremely dangerous and the combination of him and Young is very scary for defensive coordinators, but I think that he the Titans would rather trade for a Lynch (as an example) who is not as good but good enough opposed to bowing down to a guy who has repeatedly not shown he is a team player.

You mean this Bud Adams? http://bill37mccurdy.files.wordpress.com/2...1/bud_adams.jpg

I disagree. He's a special player. Pay him.

I am in the pay the man his due camp myself. Backs have short careers and CJ deserves a pay increase. Bud needs to open up the checkbook and tell Chris thanks.

The NFL has virtually no guaranteed contracts and therefore a player can be cut at any time regardless of their contract. He has clearly outperformed his rookie deal and deserves a new deal. These guys pay a tremendous physical price as an NFL player that they often pay for later in life with an assortment of serious physical problems.

Players better damn well get their $$$ while they can because any play could be the last!!!

The Titans better Pay the Man!!! as a certain NFL analyst likes to say.

this whole concept of these guys 'deserving' anything is a hollow argument. the guy has 7 million reasons to play to the contract he signed. you're right though, his next play could be his last. maybe if that happens he has to figure out how to make it on what he has after expenses. besides, doesn't that factor into the owner's decision when it comes to making business decisions to pay someone what they think they deserve? the next cut could indeed be his last, and they're left holding the bag for all that guaranteed money.

and on that note, for every player that outplays his contract as he did, there are many who don't. forget what anyone deserves, understand that life ain't fair, and analyze it from a business perspective. it takes two willing participants to renegotiate, and if one doesn't see the value in it, it's over.

i'm actually amazed that Tom Brady doesn't re-negotiate every year.

Guy by the name of Tim Ruskell is out of a job as GM of Seattle because he re-signed Shaun Alexander to a long term contract after he ran for 1880 yards at age 28.

Johnson is younger, but it's extremely risky to re-sign a RB to a huge contract no matter the age. The propensity for injury is huge.

they should flip him for a couple first rounders...you get yards from any rb. how far did they get with him rushing for 2k? no playoffs. its important to get the yards but if they can flip him for some more talent they should deal him

To be fair most guys who rushed for 2000 yards rarely were 24 going on 25 years old like Johnson. OJ had two very good seasons after he rushed for 2000 yards. Dickerson was a guy who was 34 years old after rushing for 2000 yards his decline was more due to age then wear and tear.

Barry Sanders was 29 when he rushed for 2000 yards and at age 30 running backs hit the expiration date. Terrel Davis is the only young running back to get 2000 yards and really fall off with injuries. Jamal Lewis did have production after his 2000 yard season although his fall off was more due to almost carrying the ball almost 400 times in his 2000 yard season which almost always leads to any back loosing years off their careers.

Johnson is going to be 25 and he only carried the ball 350ish times last year so he wasn't close to that 400 carries mark that makes running backs hit the wall. So I say Johnson thanks to his age and carries makes him worth a big money extension.

Dickerson and Lewis were 24 in their 2000 yd seasons. Simpson and Davis were 26 in theirs.

They might be seriously debating trading him...or at least playing with him sitting at home, holding out.

They DID go out and get LeGarrette Blount and Stafon Johnson. As well as Dominique Lindsay of East Carolina...Chris Johnson's former backup. They also have Javon Ringer.

I would say they are in decent shape if he decides to go all Jason Peters on Bud Adams' ass!

None of us can go to our bank and tell them hay I want to re do my mortgage, I recently saw you guys made 203 billion dollars and were given 505 million from the federal government, that means I should only pay you 50,000 versus 250,000...

THIS JUST IN - you can refinance your mortgage! Banks understand their rates need to stay competitive or people will walk to another bank. Let's hear it for the free market!

Have the Titans paid their fullback a 7 year 49m contract?

As great as Johnson is, replacing RB production is not comparable to finding a new quality LOT. CJ's a special player, but he's not as valuable without Michael Roos, Eugene Amano, and David Stewart leading the way for him.

how's that spiller pick lookin?

It is just amazing to me how some can misconstrue the actual facts and blow things out of proportion.

First, this is nothing even remotely like the Jason Peters situation in which the Bills themselves created by bringing in overpaid lesser talented free agents.

Second, Chris Johnson is playing for his rookie contract, which after rushing for 2000 yards last season he clearly deserves a raise. The NFL rules limit how much the Titans can pay him so he is skipping the non mandatory OTA's.

Unlike the Bills, the Titans will find a way to make that very special running back happy and pay him accordingly.

THIS JUST IN - you can refinance your mortgage! Banks understand their rates need to stay competitive or people will walk to another bank. Let's hear it for the free market!

the nfl is an example of a monopoly, not a free market

It is just amazing to me how some can misconstrue the actual facts and blow things out of proportion.

First, this is nothing even remotely like the Jason Peters situation in which the Bills themselves created by bringing in overpaid lesser talented free agents.

Second, Chris Johnson is playing for his rookie contract, which after rushing for 2000 yards last season he clearly deserves a raise. The NFL rules limit how much the Titans can pay him so he is skipping the non mandatory OTA's.

Unlike the Bills, the Titans will find a way to make that very special running back happy and pay him accordingly.

What the Bills paid Dockery and Walker had nothing to do with Peters' contract demands. Just like it would have nothing to do with CJ if the Titans signed a RB and paid him a lot of money. CJ will demand was CJ and his agent think he's worth, based on what other top/high-paid backs in the league are getting. And I'm curious to find out how much he's asking for and whether the Titans DO give it to him.

What the Bills paid Dockery and Walker had nothing to do with Peters' contract demands. Just like it would have nothing to do with CJ if the Titans signed a RB and paid him a lot of money. CJ will demand was CJ and his agent think he's worth, based on what other top/high-paid backs in the league are getting. And I'm curious to find out how much he's asking for and whether the Titans DO give it to him.

The Titans could come up with a deal that is largely bonus-based, but who knows how much the final number could be.

The "30 percent rule" limits the growth of base salaries of renegotiated existing contracts in the uncapped year. As a result, the Titans would probably have to pay Johnson guaranteed signing bonus money in the $40 million to $50 million range as part of a market-rate extension because the base salary he could earn would be restricted.

Johnson, drafted 24th overall in 2008, made $385,000 in 2009 when he rushed for a league-leading 2,006 yards. He'd only be able to make an additional $115,000 in base salary as part of a 30 percent raise in a renegotiated deal, and could only receive a 30 percent annual pay raise from there each year.

Johnson is scheduled to make $550,000 in 2010, the third year of his original $12 million contract. In January at the Pro Bowl, Johnson told The Tennessean he'd like to be the highest-paid offensive player in the NFL.

This a a lot different. Peters first off was an undrafted FA signee that noone else wanted. The Bills took a flyer on him and coached him up converting him to a LT from TE. Then they resigned him early to a large megamillion multi year contract. When Peters all of a sudden decided he wanted more, he started playing the victim and decided 5 million a year wasn't enough, even though the Bills had basically taken a roster spot up for him to be re-trained for 3 seasons, and then when they felt he was good enough re-signed him to a 5 year 25 million dollar deal. 2 years into it, Peters was an ass, and felt like and entitled little B word, forgetting everything the organization had done to help him get to that level.

Johnson, is on a rookie contract that has limits in place.

Completely different scenerios.

The Titans could come up with a deal that is largely bonus-based, but who knows how much the final number could be.

The "30 percent rule" limits the growth of base salaries of renegotiated existing contracts in the uncapped year. As a result, the Titans would probably have to pay Johnson guaranteed signing bonus money in the $40 million to $50 million range as part of a market-rate extension because the base salary he could earn would be restricted.

Johnson, drafted 24th overall in 2008, made $385,000 in 2009 when he rushed for a league-leading 2,006 yards. He'd only be able to make an additional $115,000 in base salary as part of a 30 percent raise in a renegotiated deal, and could only receive a 30 percent annual pay raise from there each year.

Johnson is scheduled to make $550,000 in 2010, the third year of his original $12 million contract. In January at the Pro Bowl, Johnson told The Tennessean he'd like to be the highest-paid offensive player in the NFL.

Funny, because there's no other overpaid RB on the roster. :lol:

I'm not surprised he wants that. But he'll have to wait another year because of the uncapped year. The Titans don't want to give him that large a signing bonus, and I don't even know if they are allowed to do that, in lieu of a small base salary. But who is Johnson's agent? Hopefully (for them) not Eugene Parker.

Have the Titans paid their fullback a 7 year 49m contract?

As great as Johnson is, replacing RB production is not comparable to finding a new quality LOT. CJ's a special player, but he's not as valuable without Michael Roos, Eugene Amano, and David Stewart leading the way for him.

The only difference is, Johnson is one of the best RBs in the league and he is paid down at the bottom. Peters is one of the worst LTs in the league and is paid like he is one of the best. Stats don't lie.

Don't sign a contract if you do not want to honor it.

Are the teams held to this as well? Do you complain when teams cut players without "honoring" the contract? These contracts aren't guaranteed, teams can cut guys at any time. It goes both ways and until player contracts are guaranteed I don't hold it against the players for wanting more money when they outperform their contracts.

Are the teams held to this as well? Do you complain when teams cut players without "honoring" the contract? These contracts aren't guaranteed, teams can cut guys at any time. It goes both ways and until player contracts are guaranteed I don't hold it against the players for wanting more money when they outperform their contracts.

+1

you miss the point on what a "contract" is. each party is bound by the agreement reached, the language in the contract. the team would be unable to come back to a player and say...you played decently in games 3-7, but sucked something awful in the rest of the games, so we're pro-rating your compensation.".

the team can cut a player at any time because that's the way the contract is drawn up. there are risks, and rewards for both parties. cj is rewarded on the front end with certain benefits and compensation that places him in the top 1% of wages earners in the country, commensurate with what he brought to the table. he was chosen at #24, made $7 million dollars right off the rip. besides, he's representd by a union, and if the player's union wanted non-cut-guaranteed contracts, i'd assume they would lobby for them.

it seems to me at times when someone talks about outplaying their contract, it's viewed as if there is some type of victimization of the player. he got paid X, agreed to the terms and conditions of the contract at X (which includes the "you can be cut at any time", absent, of course, the guaranteed money the owner paid when the contract was executed), and when he performed his job at a certain level, now he's being taken advantage of in some way, shape or form. hogwash.

i'm not at all against the theory of contract renegotiations, because that's a reality where contracts are concerned as well. but the needs of the organization have to come first---and while i haven't seen a direct quote attributable to cj as wanting to be the highest paid offensive player in the league--it wouldn't surprise me at all. you would assume he'd want to be pretty high up there, which makes renegotiation kind of tricky. perhaps it's that type of attitude---keeping in mind the risk to the organization and to the player---that causes a team to clam up and not renegotiate initially.

i see no victims here, i see no one deserving anything more or less than what the contract dictates. i'm in a business with an 'at will' contract, and fairness has nothing to do with it.