Titans might have a Jason Peters problem...

LGB

Looks like the Titans might have the same problem that the Bills did with Jason Peters and it will be interesting to see if the Titans let this drag on like the Bills did.

Chris Johnson, who became the NFL’s leading rusher with over 2,000 yards (plus 500 receiving yards) stated at the end of last year he wanted more money. Johnson still has three years left on the $12 million contract he signed in 2008 that featured $7 million guaranteed. But his base salary for 2010 doesn’t even put him close to being one of the best paid players on the Titans, let alone the NFL. Johnson is due $550,000 for 2010.

To put this in perspective, Lee Evans earned about 9 million dollars last year for 612 receiving yards - only about 100 yards more Chris Johnson's 503 receiving yards as a RB.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have the Titans paid their fullback a 7 year 49m contract?

As great as Johnson is, replacing RB production is not comparable to finding a new quality LOT. CJ's a special player, but he's not as valuable without Michael Roos, Eugene Amano, and David Stewart leading the way for him.

Looks like the Titans might have the same problem that the Bills did with Jason Peters and it will be interesting to see if the Titans let this drag on like the Bills did.

Chris Johnson, who became the NFL’s leading rusher with over 2,000 yards (plus 500 receiving yards) stated at the end of last year he wanted more money. Johnson still has three years left on the $12 million contract he signed in 2008 that featured $7 million guaranteed. But his base salary for 2010 doesn’t even put him close to being one of the best paid players on the Titans, let alone the NFL. Johnson is due $550,000 for 2010.

To put this in perspective, Lee Evans earned about 9 million dollars last year for 612 receiving yards - only about 100 yards more Chris Johnson's 503 receiving yards.

He'd better get his a$$ in there...I've got him in a keeper league!!! :nana::wallbash:

There's more to it than him deserving a new contract. Rules without a CBA restrict the increase in base salary they can give him to 30%.

"The 30 percent rule still applies. And it means that there's only one way to pay big money to Johnson -- by giving him a huge signing bonus. But such an approach would push bonus proration into future years, forcing the Titans to prepare to take large cap charges based on the money paid in the uncapped year to Johnson, in the event the salary cap returns. It also would mean that, three years from now, Johnson might forget the huge pile of money he received in 2010, and that he possibly will want more."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...blem/?related=1

He also has 3 years remaining on his rookie contract.

Have the Titans paid their fullback a 7 year 49m contract?

As great as Johnson is, replacing RB production is not comparable to finding a new quality LOT. CJ's a special player, but he's not as valuable without Michael Roos, Eugene Amano, and David Stewart leading the way for him.

I disagree. He's a special player. Pay him.

There's more to it than him deserving a new contract. Rules with the new CBA restrict the increase in base salary they can give him to 30%.

"The 30 percent rule still applies. And it means that there's only one way to pay big money to Johnson -- by giving him a huge signing bonus. But such an approach would push bonus proration into future years, forcing the Titans to prepare to take large cap charges based on the money paid in the uncapped year to Johnson, in the event the salary cap returns. It also would mean that, three years from now, Johnson might forget the huge pile of money he received in 2010, and that he possibly will want more."

FINALLY SOMEONE WITH FACTS

Why does Jason Peters get to take credit for the holdout? Holdouts aren't something new in the NFL Jason Peters wasn't the first and he won't be the last player to do so. Johnson has the hammer in the situation now that they traded Lendale White.

There's more to it than him deserving a new contract. Rules without a CBA restrict the increase in base salary they can give him to 30%.

Thank you, there really is nothing else to say about this.

Don't sign a contract if you do not want to honor it. None of us can go to our bank and tell them hay I want to re do my mortgage, I recently saw you guys made 203 billion dollars and were given 505 million from the federal government, that means I should only pay you 50,000 versus 250,000...

What is even funnier is if you ask these guys why sign the contracts and you get a great answer. If they knew they were as good as they were than why sign a contract so small? Unfortunately, in the NFL your contract is paid on what you have done, not what you are doing nor what you will do. That said, Johnson, bust your tail, work hard, and in 3 years get your money.

Don't sign a contract if you do not want to honor it. None of us can go to our bank and tell them hay I want to re do my mortgage, I recently saw you guys made 203 billion dollars and were given 505 million from the federal government, that means I should only pay you 50,000 versus 250,000...

What is even funnier is if you ask these guys why sign the contracts and you get a great answer. If they knew they were as good as they were than why sign a contract so small? Unfortunately, in the NFL your contract is paid on what you have done, not what you are doing nor what you will do. That said, Johnson, bust your tail, work hard, and in 3 years get your money.

When will people learn that the NFL ISN'T COMPARABLE TO THE REAL WORLD you can't make an real world allegory to the NFL its just not a similar situation. In the NFL the team can abrogate your contract at any time they want so why should a player honor his contract if he has drastically out preformed it when if you under preform the team is going to cut you?

Holding out is the only weapon these players have and they have all the right to use it. The Peters situation was debated because you there was a case that he wasn't worth the money he wanted. Johnson is no doubt worth the money he is commanding. His rookie year was very productive with 4.9 yards per carry and 1200 yards in 14 starts splitting a lot of time with White.

Now you add in the 2000 yard season (With 5.6 yards per carry) on top of a very good rookie year and you have a player worth big bucks.

The Titans could write him a new contract...or he could be traded like Peters was if he sits out.

happens all the time...people upside down on their mortgages tell the banks they'll walk unless they lower the principal or change the terms...banks even do it to each other..and you can bet when the owners have the leverage they do it to whoever they can...they just call it renegotiating. why not the players?

The Titans could write him a new contract...or he could be traded like Peters was if he sits out.

You obviously don't know how what ANY of the rules are in the CBA. That being the case I would not worry about what the Titans problems are. The Bills have enough of their own. Chris Johnson is asking for something that cannot be done in the CBA. Besides, look at the careers of ANY of the 2000 yard club players, you may see an anomolly in a few but most are shot a few seasons later and are out of the league.

The NFL has virtually no guaranteed contracts and therefore a player can be cut at any time regardless of their contract. He has clearly outperformed his rookie deal and deserves a new deal. These guys pay a tremendous physical price as an NFL player that they often pay for later in life with an assortment of serious physical problems.

Players better damn well get their $$$ while they can because any play could be the last!!!

The Titans better Pay the Man!!! as a certain NFL analyst likes to say.

You obviously don't know how what ANY of the rules are in the CBA. That being the case I would not worry about what the Titans problems are. The Bills have enough of their own. Chris Johnson is asking for something that cannot be done in the CBA. Besides, look at the careers of ANY of the 2000 yard club players, you may see an anomolly in a few but most are shot a few seasons later and are out of the league.

To be fair most guys who rushed for 2000 yards rarely were 24 going on 25 years old like Johnson. OJ had two very good seasons after he rushed for 2000 yards. Dickerson was a guy who was 34 years old after rushing for 2000 yards his decline was more due to age then wear and tear.

Barry Sanders was 29 when he rushed for 2000 yards and at age 30 running backs hit the expiration date. Terrel Davis is the only young running back to get 2000 yards and really fall off with injuries. Jamal Lewis did have production after his 2000 yard season although his fall off was more due to almost carrying the ball almost 400 times in his 2000 yard season which almost always leads to any back loosing years off their careers.

Johnson is going to be 25 and he only carried the ball 350ish times last year so he wasn't close to that 400 carries mark that makes running backs hit the wall. So I say Johnson thanks to his age and carries makes him worth a big money extension.

To be fair most guys who rushed for 2000 yards rarely were 24 going on 25 years old like Johnson. OJ had two very good seasons after he rushed for 2000 yards. Dickerson was a guy who was 34 years old after rushing for 2000 yards his decline was more due to age then wear and tear.

Barry Sanders was 29 when he rushed for 2000 yards and at age 30 running backs hit the expiration date. Terrel Davis is the only young running back to get 2000 yards and really fall off with injuries. Jamal Lewis did have production after his 2000 yard season although his fall off was more due to almost carrying the ball almost 400 times in his 2000 yard season which almost always leads to any back loosing years off their careers.

Johnson is going to be 25 and he only carried the ball 350ish times last year so he wasn't close to that 400 carries mark that makes running backs hit the wall. So I say Johnson thanks to his age and carries makes him worth a big money extension.

Nice avoidance of that minor CBA issue on pay raises that was brought up, plus the simple fact that he has 3 years left on his contract.

This behavior is not the kind of thing Bud Adams looks favorably upon. We're talking about a great back who is extremely dangerous and the combination of him and Young is very scary for defensive coordinators, but I think that he the Titans would rather trade for a Lynch (as an example) who is not as good but good enough opposed to bowing down to a guy who has repeatedly not shown he is a team player.

This behavior is not the kind of thing Bud Adams looks favorably upon. We're talking about a great back who is extremely dangerous and the combination of him and Young is very scary for defensive coordinators, but I think that he the Titans would rather trade for a Lynch (as an example) who is not as good but good enough opposed to bowing down to a guy who has repeatedly not shown he is a team player.

They could probably get two #1's for him from a team willing to pay him. JMO