Speak English Ad

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's about f-ing time!!!

This is America and we speak English.

Years ago (at least 20) you had to learn to speak, read and write in English before you could become a citizen.

Pandering to the people who refuse to learn the language is the wrong thing to do.

Sorry which one is the left again? The Dems? :thumbsup: I thought that the R's in Az were enforcing the "harsh" laws.

Something tells me the left is about to find out just what America really thinks about illegal immigrants.

Ummm, calm down there guy. A lot of the Republicans have been on the go easy on illegal aliens band wagon for a long time. A lot of people on the right don't want to lose their cheap gardeners and maids. God forbid they have to pay minimum wage and payroll taxes. :rolleyes:

This is grandstanding. They know these things will never make it past court challenges and then they can blame the "liberals" for it.

The Hispanic voting block is increasing very quickly. Republicans and Democrats are eager to tap into this group. So these types of things work in the Dems favor more than the Pubs favor. In a state like Alabama the downside of something like this is negligible. I'd be willing to bet that any California Governor candidate would lose in a landslide if they proposed such a thing.

Personally, I think part of becoming a citizen should be the ability to speak, read and write at a base level of communication in English. I think it's a pain in the ass for the country to foot the bill for so many different things but I also know that in our political system it's not feasible.

I think we should be a lot harsher on illegal immigration in this country but it's a political firebrand issue. I'm pretty sure Jan Brewer will find it difficult to carry more than 5% of the Hispanic voting block. Will it matter? I have a feeling that a lot of Hispanics that weren't registered to vote before will be now.

It's not clear how James thinks the change would save the state money. Marc Ambinder of the Atlantic says Alabama could actually lose billions of dollars in federal funding if it enacts the measure, and he points to an Alabama political blog that runs down the legal history for why the exams are in multiple languages.

no Tim, it doesn't.

And safety? c'mon guys, reading signs and reading the language are very different.

Another thing, why do we give it in so many languages? becuase there are a plethora of different cultures here.

But you're correct, we should all be speaking one of the MANY different native languages, none being English of course, but you get the idea.

Oh, it's because we took control and now the language is English.

Well I am pretty sure that the Hispanic population is growing and a nice voting block is forming, that would be power.

Oh it is rotten when hispanic folks do it, they should employ the tactics of the English, that's way more fair to the people here.

I am very confused about this language thing considering our country's history

It's not clear how James thinks the change would save the state money. Marc Ambinder of the Atlantic says Alabama could actually lose billions of dollars in federal funding if it enacts the measure, and he points to an Alabama political blog that runs down the legal history for why the exams are in multiple languages.

no Tim, it doesn't.

And safety? c'mon guys, reading signs and reading the language are very different.

Another thing, why do we give it in so many languages? becuase there are a plethora of different cultures here.

But you're correct, we should all be speaking one of the MANY different native languages, none being English of course, but you get the idea.

Well I am pretty sure that the Hispanic population is growing and a nice voting block is forming, that would be power.

Oh it is rotten when hispanic folks do it, they should employ the tactics of the English, that's way more fair to the people here.

Y'know I have to say, I thought once you lost your addiction to the use of ellipses, your posts would make sense.

I was wrong.

no Tim, it doesn't.

You could have saved yourself a whole lot of trouble and just typed those four words.

no Tim, it doesn't.

The United States of America is one nation, not a "plethora of different cultures." This is not the world's commune. It used to be that becoming an American was something of great importance and taken very seriously by immigrants of past generations. I'm glad that Arizona had the balls to actually start taking the word "illegal" seriously. Now we can have the debate on what it means to be an American. Do we enforce laws to protect our sovereignty? Does our government protect Americans or do they protect illegal aliens? The MSM will of course make this about racism, but they will epically fail. We have laws here, we are an english speaking nation. Americans are finally waking up to what's been going on. Politicians running for office in 2010 had best think long and hard on which side they'll take on this issue. We aren't going to be electing anyone who supports the further deconstruction of a great nation. If you want to be an American, better take it seriously and learn the language just like all of our ancestors did with pride. If you don't feel like doing that, then leave.

It's May Day people...

http://michellemalkin.com/

. If you want to be an American, better take it seriously and learn the language just like all of our ancestors did with pride. If you don't feel like doing that, then leave.

That's a cute historical rewrite. Lots of people off the boat never learned English. I knew plenty of houses in Rochester and Buffalo that had a grandmother or grandfather that hadn't made it past some simple nouns and verbs.

There are certainly differences between that group and the ones that are the focus of this law but try to keep the inane frothing to am minimum.