Bills Sign OC Kyle Mutcher UDFA.

Linky

Weber State's KYLE MUTCHER (moo-churr) - 6-3, 300 Sr. OC / Park City, Utah) earned his second, First Team All-America honor in as many days. On Monday, December 14, Mutcher was named First Team All-America, Division I FCS by The Walter Camp Foundation. Mutcher started in 36 career games for the Wildcats and appeared in 41. He was part of the 2008 team which posted a 10-4 record overall, and tied for the Big Sky Conference championship with a 7-1 mark.

Linkage

KYLE MUTCHER

Made himself a force on the Wildcat offensive line calling the line signals, along with blocking for Trevyn Smith and protecting Cameron Higgins. ... Named First Team All-Big Sky in 2008. ... Named pre-season First Team All-American by Consensus Draft Services and Phil Steele's 2009 Football Review. ... Named Second Team pre-season All-America by The Sports Network. ... Strong, hard working lineman who never takes a play off in the game or practice.

Linksys

Kyle Mutcher

Last Updated: December 27th, 2009

Managed By: Steve Martin

School

Weber State

Height

6 ' 2.4 "

Weight

301 lbs.

Speed

5.10 ( Unofficial )

Graduation Year

Birth Date

12/14/1986

Jersey # 53

Current Position

C

Projected Position

C

Overview

Kyle is a 2006 graduate of Park City (UT) High School who was named a 1st-Team All-State Class 3A selection in 2004. Kyle was a three-year starter for the Miners and earned 1st-Team All-Region honors all three years he played.

In 2006 at Weber, Kyle played five games as a starter at LG, but was sidelined the other five games with an ankle. In 2007, Kyle Began the year sharing time with Travis Harris at left guard but moved to center in the third game of the season vs. Montana State and was the starter the rest of the season. In 2008, he was named 2nd-team all Big Sky and started every game at center. Was a finalist for FCS top lineman as a senior, when he again starter all of his team's games at center.

Strengths

Pretty athletic. Moves around well and gets to the second level quickly. High, heads-up, 3-pt. stance when shotgun snapping. Good lateral quickness. Generally hits whatever he is aiming at. Would be effective in a zone-blocking scheme, or a position-blocking scheme that puts a priority on getting people to a spot when run blocking before the defense can set. Nice pass pro technique.

Weaknesses

Average size. Little upside. Average initial charge when run blocking. Looks shorter than 6'2, and is a little dumpy around the middle. No mauler. Gets by on finesse and technique most of the time. Appears satisfied with the stalemate at times. Would not be a good option for a power running team, or a team that emphasizes the run.

Projection

Priority UDFA.

Looks like he might end up as a practice squadder.

I agree that he would be a practice squadder. While I was reading I was thinking he sounds decent until I got to the part where he is described as not a good option for a team that emphasizes the run. It looks like that is going to be our offensive philosophy this year, at least.

Sidenote: I like the Miracle on Ice quote in your signature, Rfeynman :)

I agree that he would be a practice squadder. While I was reading I was thinking he sounds decent until I got to the part where he is described as not a good option for a team that emphasizes the run. It looks like that is going to be our offensive philosophy this year, at least.

Sidenote: I like the Miracle on Ice quote in your signature, Rfeynman :)

I saw that too but it also says he's a zone blocking player which is what Gailey is instituting. I think that makes up the difference. JMO

Thanks for the kudos on the Miracle quote. I put it there as a subtle message to all of the people who go off on the Bills for not signing the "Best" FA's.

I saw that too but it also says he's a zone blocking player which is what Gailey is instituting. I think that makes up the difference. JMO

Thanks for the kudos on the Miracle quote. I put it there as a subtle message to all of the people who go off on the Bills for not signing the "Best" FA's.

I always noticed the zone blocking tidbit, which gives me some hope, but he is still a practice squad guy in my mind for this year at least.

And I totally agree with your subtle message by the way.

I always noticed the zone blocking tidbit, which gives me some hope, but he is still a practice squad guy in my mind for this year at least.

And I totally agree with your subtle message by the way.

Exactly. And Denver linemen weren't known for being strong maulers anyways. They got by just fine on technique :lol:

Sounds like a good taxi squader for 2010. Wait and see prospect with Pro conditioning. Zone block a plus for skill sets and team requirements. Interesting read. By the way Rfeynman, have we got a video?