Report: Marshawn Lynch wants out of Buffalo

Which underscores the point that Marshawn Lynch just doesn' get it.

Whether he wants to salvage his career in Buffalo or whether he wants to be moved, there is but ONE thing that would help facilitate either of those goals: Tell Nix he will work hard but that he wants out. Then come in, work hard, and exhibit a good attitude. He then reduces other teams' concerns about his character and maybe even resurrects his stalled career in Buffalo for the time being.

Lynch's unwillingness to be a good teammate damages his value and makes other parties reticent to trade for him.

Of all the dumb things Lynch has done over the past two years, this (not attending voluntary workouts) is the one that makes it clear to me that he is a clueless idiot. JMO.

Unfortunately, Lynch lacks both the intelligence and the character to arrive at that conclusion. Even more unfortunate, we have seen all too often that agents aren't able/willing to convince their clients otherwise.

I hope I'm wrong and Marshawn simply wants to play football. If that's where his simple mind takes him, everything will work out one way or the other.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Lynch in the last year of his contract, and if so, would he be a restricted free agent next season (assuming there is a season)? I would think that would play into any possible trade.

It is nice of the anonymous source to say that we would take "whatever at this point."

It sounds like someone trying to deflate whatever market there is. I doubt that the Bills will take "whatever at this point." They will hold on to him unless someone offers something worthwile.

My guess is we wait until RBs start to go down with injuries in training camp. Then we trade him for a 3rd or a 4th rounder. Trading him now will net us very little. This will not happen until late July/early August at the very earliest, unless someone goes down in mini camps (unlikely). Worst case we keep him into the season and again, wait until some team loses their #1 back to injury,... then we pull the trigger. It's all about negotiating leverage.

Hey JW,

Well, as I was the one who said that Lynch "doesn't get it." How do you disagree?

The conventional reply would be that the only leverage a player has is to withhold his services. I understood that when I wrote the original post but I still believe the better route would be to do what I proposed:

Make a good faith deal with Nix that he will be shopped, and in the meantime, attend voluntary workouts. IMO, it helps rehabs his image, and prepares him for the worst case scenario (for Lynch) that he ends up playing with the Bills for one more season.

Or did you you mean something else by your comment that you disagree that "Lynch doesn't get it?"

i meant something else, and i'm unable to go into more detail about that. i'm sorry.

ByrdsDaWord might be on the right track.

jw

"I'm sure they'd be willing to take whatever at this point," a personnel director for a National Football League team said Friday. "They've got too many guys and they're trying to move him, but I don't know if there's much activity. He just doesn't want to be there. Just not a good situation."

Could it just possibly be that the unidentified personnel director works for the Packers and is trying to deflate Lynch's value? Nah, that couldn't possibly be.

You're right--it couldn't be. The Bills already have a price in mind and no one has met it. Stories like this aren't going to change Nix's price or the offers made by other teams. The "deflation" theory makes no sense.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/919...tm_term=packers

Green Bay — If the Green Bay Packers are interested in acquiring a veteran running back after the draft, add the name of Marshawn Lynch to that of Brian Westbrook on the list of possibilities.

Lynch, a 1,000-yard rusher in 2007 and '08 but with a long history of off-field problems, wants out of Buffalo and the Bills appear more than willing to trade him.

"I'm sure they'd be willing to take whatever at this point," a personnel director for a National Football League team said Friday. "They've got too many guys and they're trying to move him, but I don't know if there's much activity. He just doesn't want to be there. Just not a good situation."

The Packers might have selected Lynch with their first-round draft choice in 2007, but the Bills took him with the 12th choice. Four choices later, Green Bay took defensive tackle Justin Harrell.

Lynch was suspended for the first three games of 2009 after pleading guilty to a weapons charge. Fred Jackson then played so well that Lynch couldn't get his job back.

When the Bills drafted running back C.J. Spiller with the ninth pick Thursday night, Lynch's career in Buffalo appeared finished.

Lynch, who turned 24 Thursday, has two years remaining on a modest contract. He hasn't been participating in the Bills' off-season workout program.

In three seasons, the hard-running Lynch has rushed 650 times for 2,601 yards (4.0) and 17 touchdowns. He also has 93 receptions for 663 yards. Last year, he rushed for 450 yards.

"He went to the Pro Bowl," the personnel man said. "He's a good player."

Lynch, 5 feet, 11 inches and 215 pounds, played in the same backfield with Aaron Rodgers at the University of California in 2004.

Westbrook, 30, became a free agent Feb. 23 when the Philadelphia Eagles released him.

Do you mean Lynch isn't a "FAN" of the Buffalo Bills? So he doesn't care about his performance or the team's performance, he must go! (Sarcasm intended)