Our QB Situation...

Listen, when Edwards replaced Losman in '08, I thought we found our guy. Then, week 5 came, and he got lambasted in the desert by Adrian Wilson. Since then, nothing has been the same, and, we are quick to point to that day as the day Edwards "has never been the same, since".

However, lets look at exactly why Buffalo has not had a "great QB since Kelly in 96:

'97 - Todd Collins- Never really got a fair chance because he followed a legend and was stuck in Dan Henning's conservative approach on offense. RESULT 6-10.=CUT.

'98 - Doug Flutie- Quick fix. The guy was 39 years old when we signed him because Collins failed. Gave us some good moments, but that was it. And, if you STILL have a box of Flutie Flakes, you're a bona-fide tool!

'99-'01- Rob Johnson- Got caught in the "rebuiling" years in Buffalo. Would've led Buffalo to its first playoff win since '95, but you know what happened.

'02-'04 - Drew Bledsoe - Had a chance to really stick it to New England and the rest of the NFL, but never had the mobility and seemed to lose a lot of his instincts that made him the number one pick in 1993. Could'nt even cut in in Dallas with better talent. Another quick fix.

'05-'07 - J.P. Losman- Had a GREAT arm, but had virtually no leadership under Dick Jauron.

'08-'09- Trent Edwards- Concussion, Offensive Coordinator fired 5 days before season starts last year, Jauron, Fewell (defesive minds).

Moral of the story, I know we all want to jump the gun on this organization, but maybe we need to stop with all the changes at coach AND personel and stick with something for more than two years and build something like any successful team does. (i.e.: New England, Indianapolis, Baltimore, Dallas...)

Listen, when Edwards replaced Losman in '08, I thought we found our guy. Then, week 5 came, and he got lambasted in the desert by Adrian Wilson. Since then, nothing has been the same, and, we are quick to point to that day as the day Edwards "has never been the same, since".

However, lets look at exactly why Buffalo has not had a "great QB since Kelly in 96:

'97 - Todd Collins- Never really got a fair chance because he followed a legend and was stuck in Dan Henning's conservative approach on offense. RESULT 6-10.=CUT.

I thought the guy was cut because he made some major boneheaded decisions like spiking the ball on 4th down.

And this was after sitting behind Kelly for 2 years.

And despite his little outing in Washington, the guy spent his entire career as a back up for a reason.

Someone needs to teach Trent to identify where the Blitz is coming from so he can change the line assignments to meet it. If he does this he wouldn't get hit as much.

Gailey is widely regarded as a top coach for maximizing a QBs potential. If TE really isn't a bust, if he's redeemable, I believe Gailey will make him much better. Makes for an interesting off-season, wouldn't you say?

I thought the guy was cut because he made some major boneheaded decisions like spiking the ball on 4th down.

And this was after sitting behind Kelly for 2 years.

And despite his little outing in Washington, the guy spent his entire career as a back up for a reason.

Yeah, sounds like a good reason to cut a quarterback, spiking the ball on a 4th down (remember the game??).

With logic like that you only support the poster's comments, are another example of the irrational mentaility of a group of "Throw the bum out" Bills fans.

Collins would have been the stable, consistent force at quarterback that we, still, haven't found...

Remember the first games he played in his second year, when Kelly was out? He was one of the most poised 2nd year quarterback I had ever seen, leading the Bills to long, sustained drives against Dallas, and standing in the pocket against great pressure. And the next year, leading the Bills to one of the biggest comebacks in NFL history. He was never given a chance here.

BUT, he spiked the ball on a 4th down, so good reason to get rid of him? Ridiculous.

I don't have the same kind of confidence in Edwards, but he definitely deserves an opportunity, and ditto for Lynch as well. The poster is right--we won't build a good team continuing on the same old path. I think Nix and Gailey, two older guys, are feeling the same way.

Our team is now such a mystery - we don't really know what we'll see. I'd say, though, that if you took our stable of QB's and sent them to New England the last few years, and they sent us theirs, that Brady would've performed way worse here than he did there, and that New England would know how to maximize the talents of Edwards and Co. I believe that with the right coaching, the right team mentality, and the right system, we can have a successful attack. If only our line plays better than it looked last year, we could be surprised. Either way, we'll find value with what we've got, or we'll grab a new guy next year.