Greg Gabriel fired by Bears

Thanks for posting, Coach.

Here's a few thoughts off the top of my head.

It's kinda hilarious. After Nix was hired, there was a national story excoriating the Bills for not considering candidates outside the organization. Two of those candidates mentioned as being passed over/or never considered by the Bills were Doug Whaley and Greg Gabriel. Of course we then hired Whaley and now Gabriel has been fired.

What's also hilarious is that the Bears have mortgaged their future by trading away a slew of draft picks (New York Jets Lite) for Jay Cutler and others. The Bears didn't even have a pick until the third round this year. I don't really know what kind of job Gabriel did with the Bears but it's odd that they fired him in the context of not having been a presence in recent drafts. I understand the timing though, these sorts of firings don't happen until after the draft. That's why it was such a shock that Scot McCloughan, the San Francisco GM left the organization weeks before the draft.

It's always nice to see a hometown guy come home. McNally and Kugler being the most recent. Btw, I wouldn't judge Kugler by the job he did here...he's pretty well respected and with the lack of talent and the tons of injuries on the O-line and the coordinators that he worked with, we don't know how good a coach he really is.

But it's nice to see guys come home. Kaleta, Kennedy, Jon Corto are others...

I know Buddy stated that he was gonna beef up our scouting department...but I don't know if that process has started yet. I don't remember hearing announcements about new scouts being hired by the Bills.

Gabriel has a ton of experience, spent some time with the Bills, and I'm sure would be an asset to the organization. Trouble is, he'd have to take a big step down in prestige and pay, to rejoin the Bills. I wonder if his two years with the Bills overlapped the time that Buddy Nix was here previously.

why not, i cannot see him being the problem, after all, the bears gave up alot of picks for cutler, were in a recent super bowl, highly doubt he was a problem. i could see him as modrak's replacement.

Where does everyone get the idea that Tom Modrak is getting fired or leaving anytime soon? Give up on it already. Hes never been in charge of our draft's.. it was always Donahoe, Levy, Brandon, Jauron

And to respond to the topic.. I would love to see Doug Gabriel in our scouting department. I think Nix, Whaley, Modrak and Gabriel would be a nice scouting team

Thanks for posting, Coach.

Here's a few thoughts off the top of my head.

It's kinda hilarious. After Nix was hired, there was a national story excoriating the Bills for not considering candidates outside the organization. Two of those candidates mentioned as being passed over/or never considered by the Bills were Doug Whaley and Greg Gabriel. Of course we then hired Whaley and now Gabriel has been fired.

What's also hilarious is that the Bears have mortgaged their future by trading away a slew of draft picks (New York Jets Lite) for Jay Cutler and others. The Bears didn't even have a pick until the third round this year. I don't really know what kind of job Gabriel did with the Bears but it's odd that they fired him in the context of not having been a presence in recent drafts. I understand the timing though, these sorts of firings don't happen until after the draft. That's why it was such a shock that Scot McCloughan, the San Francisco GM left the organization weeks before the draft.

It's always nice to see a hometown guy come home. McNally and Kugler being the most recent. Btw, I wouldn't judge Kugler by the job he did here...he's pretty well respected and with the lack of talent and the tons of injuries on the O-line and the coordinators that he worked with, we don't know how good a coach he really is.

But it's nice to see guys come home. Kaleta, Kennedy, Jon Corto are others...

I know Buddy stated that he was gonna beef up our scouting department...but I don't know if that process has started yet. I don't remember hearing announcements about new scouts being hired by the Bills.

Gabriel has a ton of experience, spent some time with the Bills, and I'm sure would be an asset to the organization. Trouble is, he'd have to take a big step down in prestige and pay, to rejoin the Bills. I wonder if his two years with the Bills overlapped the time that Buddy Nix was here previously.

FWIW, I thought Kugler did great with what he had. Maybe even a slightly better job than Mouse.

Where does everyone get the idea that Tom Modrak is getting fired or leaving anytime soon? Give up on it already. Hes never been in charge of our draft's.. it was always Donahoe, Levy, Brandon, Jauron

You still need a head of college scouting and Tom's been inching toward retirement for a while now...

p.s. Jerry Angelo’s an idiot and the biggest reason why the Bears have floundered in recent years, IMO.