Late night TV

The grad school scenario is worth considering though. When I graduated college, I took a job with a law firm and got benefits. Then when I started law school full-time, I was forced to drop down to 25-30 hrs per week at my job and I lost my benefits. Even the cheapest "student" health insurance plans weren't very viable for someone making what I was making and still trying to make rent, bills, etc.

So I went uninsured for 3 years.

Not a huge risk considering my age and health history, but it would have been nice to have been covered under my parents' plan for that small window. Paying out of pocket for prescriptions, dentist visits, etc sucked. Not the biggest problem I've faced in life, but I can see the merit in trying to make it a little easier for young people while they are getting their start in the real world.

So you're going to make your parents pay for it. "But you have to, the government says so." Grow up junior.

Not a huge risk considering my age and health history, but it would have been nice to have been covered under my parents' plan for that small window. Paying out of pocket for prescriptions, dentist visits, etc sucked. Not the biggest problem I've faced in life, but I can see the merit in trying to make it a little easier for young people while they are getting their start in the real world.

I'm fairly certain we could make it so that parents are able to carry their children on their health care plan up to the age of 26 without (a) spending a trillion dollars we don't have and (b) forcing every American to purchase a product from a private company simply because they are an American.

I'm fairly certain we could make it so that parents are able to carry their children on their health care plan up to the age of 26 without (a) spending a trillion dollars we don't have and (b) forcing every American to purchase a product from a private company simply because they are an American.

Don't disagree at all. I wasn't trying to justify ObamaCare....just commenting on the idea of insuring dependents up to age 26. I don't feel that strongly about it either way, but I can see the other side of the "it just encourages slackers" argument.

You couldn't afford insurance while at grad school so you would have liked to have had your parents pay for it. I figured someone who went to grad school would understand that.

There you go, I knew you could do better. Much different than thinking I would say "But you have to, the government says so." I'm pretty sure I said nothing like that in my post.

Your broad brush misses the point. I didn't ask my parents for a dime. Hence, the reason I went uninsured.

I was only saying that I could see the argument that having a system where parents could cover their full-time young-adult student on their insurance (if they were so inclined) wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

You couldn't afford insurance while at grad school so you would have liked to have had your parents pay for it. I figured someone who went to grad school would understand that.

Parents don't have to agree to cover the child, especially if they cannot afford the insurance. I had to go a few years without because of grad school, my parents would have happily allowed me to stay on their insurance while I was off trying to better myself. The expense to keep a child on an insurance plan is minimal...certainly less than to independently buy a plan or, heaven forbid, paying off medical expenses due to an accident. it's a good idea that allows protection in a time when many entry level positions do not offer benefits or when an unpaid internship is necessary in order to get your foot in the door.

There you go, I knew you could do better. Much different than thinking I would say "But you have to, the government says so." I'm pretty sure I said nothing like that in my post.

Your broad brush misses the point. I didn't ask my parents for a dime. Hence, the reason I went uninsured.

I was only saying that I could see the argument that having a system where parents could cover their full-time young-adult student on their insurance (if they were so inclined) wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

For crying out loud there is a system. And here's how it works. Ready? Drum roll please.

"Mom...dad?"

"Yes, son?"

"I'm kind of in a bind right now financially and I can't afford health insurance. Could you help me out?"

"Sure son, what are the premiums?"

"$50 per month."

"Done, who do we make the checks out to."

Why the !@#$ do we need a law that allows this? It doesn't have to go on mom and dad's plan.

For crying out loud there is a system. And here's how it works. Ready? Drum roll please.

"Mom...dad?"

"Yes, son?"

"I'm kind of in a bind right now financially and I can't afford health insurance. Could you help me out?"

"Sure son, what are the premiums?"

"$50 per month."

"Done, who do we make the checks out to."

Why the !@#$ do we need a law that allows this? It doesn't have to go on mom and dad's plan.

Parents don't have to agree to cover the child, especially if they cannot afford the insurance. I had to go a few years without because of grad school, my parents would have happily allowed me to stay on their insurance while I was off trying to better myself. The expense to keep a child on an insurance plan is minimal...certainly less than to independently buy a plan or, heaven forbid, paying off medical expenses due to an accident. it's a good idea that allows protection in a time when many entry level positions do not offer benefits or when an unpaid internship is necessary in order to get your foot in the door.

This is what I was getting at. It was my understanding that (at the time) it would have been much cheaper if I could have stayed on my parents' plan, which was far superior to the "catastrophe" plans I was shopping. My parents would have been happy to help me out with one of those plans. But in the end, I weighed the risks and told them to keep their money. If I was going to ask for their help, it would have been one thing to have them pay $X for a legit plan that helped me with frequent expenses. It was very different to have them pay $3X for a bare bones plan that didn't seem worth the trouble.

People are notorious on this board for totally misconstruing what you are saying. I have to learn to just make things up and pretend that is what they said.

Actually (some) people purposefully misrepresent what you say. To avoid it, you have to try and bullet proof your posts.

That's like the old adage explaining how the Democrats ended up with a jackass as their symbol. It's not the obvious and apparent reason, but has to do with their sheep going on strike in hopes of reducing the amount of conjugal visits they were required to make to the leaders of the Democrat Party. The donkey then stepped up to the plate and volunteered to fill in for the sheep. When the good leaders experienced the donkey they found themselves in a pickle. They liked both donkeys and sheep and couldn't decide what side of the fence they wanted to be on. They ended up compromising and running for State Senate out of Philadelphia. Their slogan of "If the sheep don't want to follow get yourself a little a$$" seemed to carry the day for them. I'll provide a link once you have provided one to me.

Which? A donkey or a sheep? :lol: