Facebook security and privacy

Fezmid

I do not say this in the sense of "big brother paranoia" but the bottom line is that everything you do on the web is in some way subject to capture and analysis. It is a cat and mouse game. Someone tries to shield privacy while another works to peek behind the curtain. The proliferation, collection and analysis of data will not cease and it is hard to control given the fact people want this to happen in many cases.

Think about it - not unlike virtual dumpster diving - everything any of us has ever posted on this board is open for review. If you "play" on facebook you will "pay" for the entertainment in some way. Ultimately Facebook will figure out how to make money from its service or it will perish. Does anyone think that Google is really a search company?

I do not say this in the sense of "big brother paranoia" but the bottom line is that everything you do on the web is in some way subject to capture and analysis. It is a cat and mouse game. Someone tries to shield privacy while another works to peek behind the curtain. The proliferation, collection and analysis of data will not cease and it is hard to control given the fact people want this to happen in many cases.

Think about it - not unlike virtual dumpster diving - everything any of us has ever posted on this board is open for review. If you "play" on facebook you will "pay" for the entertainment in some way. Ultimately Facebook will figure out how to make money from its service or it will perish. Does anyone think that Google is really a search company?

I agree, to an extent. The issue, however, is that Facebook (in this example) keeps changing the rules to try and trick users into revealing more information than they want. When I first signed up, I specifically made everything locked down. Then Facebook did some sort of an update and changed the default settings to "open" -- so I had to lock them down again (I have no idea how long they were open for). Now they're "opening" this up to 3rd party vendors, again without permission from the user.

You should be forced to opt-in -- and I thought we had laws on the books requiring that, but maybe not...

I'm sure that google, yahoo and aol email accounts are private.

All those messages back and forth bouncing around on their servers.

What a great service they provide for free!

I can't speak for AOL or Yahoo, but Google gets its revenue from ads. They have automated processes that scan your emails for keywords, then present ads based on that. They (allegedly) don't share any of that information, nor do they examine your emails or keep records of them -- it's completely autonomous.