Im not drinking the kool aid, I have hope bc Spiller was a great pick

JustMaxx

My personal view is that nix/gailey took Spiller bc hes the safest pick at the time. The best player at his position, and a player to can spark our very dull, lifeless offense. I love the pick and heres why (To see the future, you must look to the past).

Top runningbacks of each draft in the last ten years, aka first rb taken each year.

2009 - Knowshon Moreno (solid rookie season, looks to be a good starter)

2008 - Darren McFadden (the raiders have been so screwed up offensively i dont know what to say, but he has not lived up to potential)

2007 - Adrian Peterson (enough said)

2006 - Reggie Bush (been okay, better of late, but hasnt lived up to hype)

2005 - Ronnie Brown (very, very good player)

2004 - Steven Jackson (very, very good player)

2003 - Willis McGahee (okay to good. nothing special though)

2002 - William Green (swing and a miss)

2001 - Ladian Tomlinson (enough said)

2000 - Jamal Lewis (had some amazing seasons before he slowed down)

So of this group, the last 10 top running backs drafted at the head of their position/class, only two, McFadden and Green, have not panned out to some degree of success, with Mcfaddens story still in the works. McGahee and bush have not lived up to the hype, but they have been adequate starters. How many positions can you say that 80-90% of the time, you get a least a solid starter?

Thats why i LOVE this pick. He has an 80-90 % chance of making our offense better. And he looks like he could be special, just watch this guy hit the hole and run. Marshawn couldnt catch this guys shadow. And lets face it, marshawn is a car accident away from being done, and freddy had one good yr as a running back and is getting old.

But for all you arguers, who wanted Ot/Qb, and are all doomsday & think im drinking the kool aide, its time for me to school you.

last ten drafts, #3 OT off the board, #2 Qb off board, referring to us taking davis, bulaga, or claussen/tebow at that spot for our offense.

2009: Eugene Monroe, Mark Sanchez,

2008: Chris williams, Joe Flacco,

2007: Joe Staley, Brady Quinn,

2006: Marcus McNeil, Brady Quinn,

2005: Michael Roos, matt Leinhart,

2004: Veron Carey, Aaron rodgers,

2003: kwame Harris, Philip Rivers,

2002: Levi Jones, joey Harrington,

2001: Maurice Williams, Drew brees

2000: Chris Mackintosh, Giovanni Carmazzi,

Carmazzi? j Harrington, matt leinhart, b quin?? HAAA Qb is no comparison.

and idk much about Maurice williams, kwame harris, & chris williams, but im not seeing 80-90% success rate their, either.

Bottom line, the Bills made the safest pick to cure our offense, with the most explosive playmaker in the draft. Thumbs up baby, go bills!

Who's bc spiller?

because Spiller

He had to shorten it to make it fit.

First off, JustMaxx, you should know by now that any thoughtful reason for optimism is still kool-aid drinking.

I think you need to take into account the quality of players that were left and yet filled a need (more on that in a moment). Spiller was by FAR the best player on the board. The other guys have questions about them. Spiller has the fewest of any player taken in the first, IMO.

Clausen was passed over twice by 31 teams and Bulaga lasted until pick 23 by the Packers. Buddy Nix said before the draft that the coaches feel differently about their players than the fans do. So waiting on a LT and QB was by design, given the talent level left.

I'd be willing to bet that if Sam Bradford had been there that they would have taken him. The problem is there was only one QB in Sam Bradford's league in this draft. Gailey is also instituting a zone blocking scheme that requires a little bit of a different OT to execute. Bulaga probably could do it but Ed Wang is perfect for it, based on what I've read, so why take Bulaga at #9 and pass on Spiller when they could have Spiller and a LT?

I have a feeling that a lot of people here would be down on the Bills if in two years they had passed on Spiller and he'd become the next CJ while Bulaga was just average.

Now, as for Spiller not being a need pick, he was. Lynch is gone. The writing is on the wall and they needed another RB. They still need another one because they'll have to go into the season with three and McIntyre. It looks to me like the stable will most likely be: Spiller, Jackson and Bell.

I love the Spiller pick!! :lol:

Im not drinking the kool aid, I have hope bc Spiller was a great pick

My personal view is that nix/gailey took Spiller bc hes the safest pick at the time. The best player at his position, and a player to can spark our very dull, lifeless offense. I love the pick and heres why (To see the future, you must look to the past).

Top runningbacks of each draft in the last ten years, aka first rb taken each year.

2009 - Knowshon Moreno (solid rookie season, looks to be a good starter)

2008 - Darren McFadden (the raiders have been so screwed up offensively i dont know what to say, but he has not lived up to potential)

2007 - Adrian Peterson (enough said)

2006 - Reggie Bush (been okay, better of late, but hasnt lived up to hype)

2005 - Ronnie Brown (very, very good player)

2004 - Steven Jackson (very, very good player)

2003 - Willis McGahee (okay to good. nothing special though)

2002 - William Green (swing and a miss)

2001 - Ladian Tomlinson (enough said)

2000 - Jamal Lewis (had some amazing seasons before he slowed down)

So of this group, the last 10 top running backs drafted at the head of their position/class, only two, McFadden and Green, have not panned out to some degree of success, with Mcfaddens story still in the works. McGahee and bush have not lived up to the hype, but they have been adequate starters. How many positions can you say that 80-90% of the time, you get a least a solid starter?

Thats why i LOVE this pick. He has an 80-90 % chance of making our offense better. And he looks like he could be special, just watch this guy hit the hole and run. Marshawn couldnt catch this guys shadow. And lets face it, marshawn is a car accident away from being done, and freddy had one good yr as a running back and is getting old.

But for all you arguers, who wanted Ot/Qb, and are all doomsday & think im drinking the kool aide, its time for me to school you.

last ten drafts, #3 OT off the board, #2 Qb off board, referring to us taking davis, bulaga, or claussen/tebow at that spot for our offense.

2009: Eugene Monroe, Mark Sanchez,

2008: Chris williams, Joe Flacco,

2007: Joe Staley, Brady Quinn,

2006: Marcus McNeil, Brady Quinn,

2005: Michael Roos, matt Leinhart,

2004: Veron Carey, Aaron rodgers,

2003: kwame Harris, Philip Rivers,

2002: Levi Jones, joey Harrington,

2001: Maurice Williams, Drew brees

2000: Chris Mackintosh, Giovanni Carmazzi,

Carmazzi? j Harrington, matt leinhart, b quin?? HAAA Qb is no comparison.

and idk much about Maurice williams, kwame harris, & chris williams, but im not seeing 80-90% success rate their, either.

Bottom line, the Bills made the safest pick to cure our offense, with the most explosive playmaker in the draft. Thumbs up baby, go bills!

i am really sickened every time i read someone use the "kool aid reference" - does anyone have any idea that the term refers to mass suicide - not a topic to be lightly thrown around or used in a "try-to-be-cutesy" manner. if people are too lazy to be articulate without using disgusting quips that have it's roots in suicide then they have no business posting - it's really disgusting - really - disgusting

and btw - i agree with the content of your post - just not the title - go bills!

Your argument makes no sense. Ok, so 8/10 of those RBs were good.

But a full 5/10 of those QBs are good, and a couple are amazing.

Having a good RB is nice, but if you get lucky and catch Brees you are a playoff contender for years to come.

No running back can have an impact like that.

Your argument makes no sense. Ok, so 8/10 of those RBs were good.

But a full 5/10 of those QBs are good, and a couple are amazing.

Having a good RB is nice, but if you get lucky and catch Brees you are a playoff contender for years to come.

No running back can have an impact like that.

There were no QBs in this draft worth more than Spiller except Bradford, JMO. I don't know anyone who can seriously doubt the Spiller pick because they believe he's a player of any risk. The main criticism I've seen is that he's considered a luxury pick. I disagree. With Lynch going they need another RB. How anyone can dog a team for picking the best player in the draft is beyond me.

i am really sickened every time i read someone use the "kool aid reference" - does anyone have any idea that the term refers to mass suicide - not a topic to be lightly thrown around or used in a "try-to-be-cutesy" manner. if people are too lazy to be articulate without using disgusting quips that have it's roots in suicide then they have no business posting - it's really disgusting - really - disgusting

and btw - i agree with the content of your post - just not the title - go bills!

Please give it a rest. "Don't drink the Kool Aid" or "drinking the Kool Aid" Is a commonly used, understood, and acceptable phrase. If you are really this disturbed by it, then you have a pretty serious problem. :lol: And telling someone that they have no business posting if they use it, really? I can't stand your font, but you don't see me telling you not to post.

BTW, it wasn't even Kool Aid that was used in Guyana, it was Flavor Aid.

Yeah, and "bless you" has its roots in the Black Death. You gonna get pissed off every time someone says that because it's in reference to an event that killed millions of people?

Cry me a river, build a bridge, and get over it.

because Spiller

He had to shorten it to make it fit.

First off, JustMaxx, you should know by now that any thoughtful reason for optimism is still kool-aid drinking.

I think you need to take into account the quality of players that were left and yet filled a need (more on that in a moment). Spiller was by FAR the best player on the board. The other guys have questions about them. Spiller has the fewest of any player taken in the first, IMO.

Clausen was passed over twice by 31 teams and Bulaga lasted until pick 23 by the Packers. Buddy Nix said before the draft that the coaches feel differently about their players than the fans do. So waiting on a LT and QB was by design, given the talent level left.

I'd be willing to bet that if Sam Bradford had been there that they would have taken him. The problem is there was only one QB in Sam Bradford's league in this draft. Gailey is also instituting a zone blocking scheme that requires a little bit of a different OT to execute. Bulaga probably could do it but Ed Wang is perfect for it, based on what I've read, so why take Bulaga at #9 and pass on Spiller when they could have Spiller and a LT?

I have a feeling that a lot of people here would be down on the Bills if in two years they had passed on Spiller and he'd become the next CJ while Bulaga was just average.

Now, as for Spiller not being a need pick, he was. Lynch is gone. The writing is on the wall and they needed another RB. They still need another one because they'll have to go into the season with three and McIntyre. It looks to me like the stable will most likely be: Spiller, Jackson and Bell.

I love the Spiller pick!! :P

This is a very thorough and knowledgeable post on what the Bills draft was about. I hope others read it. People need to know what the new regime is changing before they can understand these picks. Chan and Buddy know football.